The Fountain Pen Network uses (functional) cookies. Read the FPN Privacy Policy for more info.  To remove this message, please click here to accept the use of cookies

Registration on the Fountain Pen Network

Dearest Visitor of the little Fountain Pen Nut house on the digital prairie,

Due to the enormous influx of spammers, it is no longer possible to handle valditions in the traditional way. For registrations we therefore kindly and respectfully request you to send an email with your request to our especially created email address. This email address is register at fountainpennetwork dot com. Please include your desired user name, and after validation we will send you a return email containing the validation key, normally wiithin a week.

Thank you very much in advance!
The FPN Admin Team

Photo

Parker Frontier (56k alert)

• Please log in to reply
35 replies to this topic

#1 Wilfred86

Wilfred86

Near Mint

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPip
  • 30 posts

Posted 09 January 2008 - 16:16

This is a review of the Parker Frontier. I hope you like it! smile.gif

1. First impressions

I bought this pen because of its (a low price and (b nice design. It also writes very smooth.

The pen comes in a plastic parker box with a manual

2. Appearance & Finish

The cap is made from stainless steel, the barrel from ABS plastic. There are also pens with a stainless steel barrel.

3. Design/Size/Weight

The Parker Frontier has a classic, cigar-like shape, with a modern touch. It has a very archetypal and recognizable fountain pen design. It is also a very clean design. The pen weighs 15 gram, somewhat heavier than the Pelikan M200, but lighter than the Sheaffer Prelude.
It is a medium sized pen, comparable to the pelikan M200, Parker Sonnet, Sheaffer Prelude, etc.

Don't pay attention to the text, that's from other pens smile.gif

4. Nib design & Performance

I have one of the older Parker Frontiers, with the "fleur de lis" nib, wich I like more than the newer ones.
The Medium nib on the Frontier (wich writes more like a Broad) is a very rigid steel one, but writes buttery smooth.

This pen just always writes, it never lets you down, it's just, how shall I put it, a silent obvious quality, wich you only notice when it is too late (when you have lost the pen for example). It is like some trustworthy old employee who only got sick three times in 30 years and never expects anything back, because he "just did his job".

But, like the old employee can get an illness, this pen also has a minor drawback: when you use this pen a lot, the cap will become loose. How do I know this? My brother had a Frontier, and I had one as well (I lost that one), and both our pens had problems with the cap.

As you can see, the Frontier writes very broad (not an entirely fair comparison, as the Solo sports a Japanese nib)

close-up from the nib. Do you see the "fleur de lis"?

5. Filling system

Cartridge/convertor. You can use cartridges as well as the deluxe twist action convertor (and the "normal" convertor too of course).

Some old Quink cartridges

6. Cost/Value

When you buy the Parker Frontier, you get a lot of pen for a very reasonable price. Considering its looks and the way it writes, the Parker Frontier feels like a much more expensive pen.

On an old Parker catalogue

7. Overall Opinion/Conclusion

pros

Classic Parker design, smooth writer, inexpensive, reliable

cons

When you use this pen a lot, the cap will become loose

Some additional pictures

I hope you enjoyed the review. Thanks for reading! smile.gif

Edited by Wilfred86, 09 January 2008 - 16:33.

De pen is sterker dan het zwaard

Sponsored Content

#2 richardandtracy

richardandtracy

Ancient Artifact

• FPN Super Moderators

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,687 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 09 January 2008 - 16:59

Thanks for that review.

I've been thinking of getting a Frontier, but having heard of the cap problem, I'll give it a miss. I use pens a great deal & have problems with the Vector of the cap falling off after 6 months use, which I don't want to repeat with any future pens I buy.

Regards

Richard.

#3 AlejoPlay

AlejoPlay

Collectors Item

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 868 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 09 January 2008 - 17:45

I love my Frontier. I have a flighter and I haven't had cap issues with it. I love how insanely smooth the nib is. I use carts with it since Parker converters (as so most converters) don't hold much ink and this pen is a gusher.

My three Vectors on the other hand (two plastic ones and a flighter) have major cap issues. The caps always all off. I do love those pens as well.

#4 rplatt

rplatt

Dipped Only

• Member - Gold

• Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 09 January 2008 - 18:09

Any thoughts on where I could get one of these pens?

Thanks-
RP

#5 AlejoPlay

AlejoPlay

Collectors Item

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 868 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 09 January 2008 - 18:22

I got mine from eBay. there are a whole bunch if you do a search for Parker Frontier.

#6 hatherton_wood

hatherton_wood

Extremely Rare

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 298 posts

Posted 09 January 2008 - 23:05

A very nice nib, better behaved than the Sonnet but oh dear that cap - the first one I bought is now unusable as it just falls off - Parker really need to do something about this.

#7 brh

brh

Extremely Rare

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 305 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 09 January 2008 - 23:15

Cap issue killed my Frontier too. A shame!

#8 juhtolv

juhtolv

The Nerd in Black

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 292 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 09 January 2008 - 23:17

Yeah, this is one of those cheap but good fountain pens. I can recommend it to beginning and advanced fountain pen users. I haven’t seen loose cap phenomenon, yet, but my Parker Frontier is so new.

My Parker Frontier is of finishing Twilight CT. I like to match color of pen and ink and this pen matches well with blue-black inks. Just like blue-black inks, its barrel shows different colors depending how you look at it; Mostly it is blue, but sometimes I see green and even violet colors. I have inked it with Parker Quink Blue-black. I bought this pen with medium nib and then I immediately sent that pen to Parker Nib Exchange in order to get fine nib. That nib is very smooth.

Edited by juhtolv, 09 January 2008 - 23:19.

Juhapekka “naula” TOLVANEN * The Nerd in Black * http://iki.fi/juhtolv
ユハペッカ・「ナウラ」・トルワネン
黒服のナード

#9 Jimmy James

Jimmy James

Macho Business Donkey Wrestler

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,772 posts

Posted 10 January 2008 - 05:03

As the owner of 4 Frontiers with one on the way and one Frontier Writing set I'll probably offer in the marketplace (due to duplicate color only), I have to say I agree with the review. I haven't had any cap issues, and I really hope they're not coming for me. I find the pen to be the perfect size (though the Waterman Phileas is not too big for me either), and every one I have is quite reliable. I don't have any of the newer pens with the different nib described, but I'll have to obtain one soon to see the difference.

#10 brh

brh

Extremely Rare

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 305 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 10 January 2008 - 05:22

I thought the different nibs depended on whether you had the plastic or stainless body... Is this no longer true?

#11 Combat Marmot

Combat Marmot

NOS (New Old Stock)

• Member - Gold

• PipPip
  • 12 posts

Posted 10 January 2008 - 23:00

I have a frontier and also had a slight cap problem. In fact I have two frontiers - one with a plastic barrel and one with a stainless steel barrel. I find that the one of them - the stainless steel version (if I remember correctly) suffers more from "shuggly" cap than the all plastic one. It could be that I've just used one more than the other but I'm not sure.

I certainly like the design of the frontier (I don't like "bling" pens) but I find the nib is a little too wide for my tastes (I do more maths than plain writing). I'm not sure if it is just me, but I find it particularly difficult to get any of the Parker pens in anything but medium on the street (ok.... so here in the UK that limits me to WH Smith).

#12 Wilfred86

Wilfred86

Near Mint

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPip
  • 30 posts

Posted 11 January 2008 - 00:07

Hey Combat Marmot,

I don't like bling pens either, that's why I like the mid-range pens from Parker so much, they are classy, but subtle.
Parkers indeed run a bit wide, maybe you should try a Sheaffer (perhaps a Prelude), their pens come with finer nibs.

Wilfred

#13 Combat Marmot

Combat Marmot

NOS (New Old Stock)

• Member - Gold

• PipPip
  • 12 posts

Posted 13 January 2008 - 03:49

Hi Wilfred,

Thanks for the advice - I'll look out for Sheaffer pens in future!

#14 wvbeetlebug

wvbeetlebug

GO EERS!!!

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,244 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 16 January 2008 - 00:37

Thank you for the review. I still want one of these. biggrin.gif

:happycloud9:

Cathy L. Carter

Live. Love. Write.

#15 Maja

Maja

Fan of colourful pens

• FPN Hon. Admin

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,430 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 16 January 2008 - 05:42

Thank you so much for the review and excellent photos, Wilfred! (and once again---nice handwriting!!)

I have a Rouge et Noir (red and black wink.gif ) Frontier fountain pen and matching ballpoint and both are very good writers. I appreciate you mentioning the cap problems I may encounter with the FP down the line; I really appreciate it when people mention a pen's bad points, as well as its good points smile.gif
Vancouver (B.C) Pen Club (our website)

#16 alvarez57

alvarez57

Antique

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,451 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 16 January 2008 - 06:22

Very nice looking pen! For eons I wrote with my Parker Vectors, which I loved. I can see the "fleur-de lys"because I SEE IT EVERYDAY HERE IN NEW ORLEANS!!!
How long is this pen?

sonia alvarez

fpn_1379481230__chinkinreduced.jpg

#17 Ozzy

Ozzy

Near Mint

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPip
  • 27 posts

Posted 16 January 2008 - 13:36

Elo,

I just bought a Parker Frontier FP, i think a week ago (or more). The stainless steel one. I wasn't very fond of the other finishes, neither do i like gold! it's the first parker i buy after using hand-me-down parker 51's.

The pen is really nice. i do find the nib a bit wide for my writing. i got used to the smaller 51 nib. i don't have cap problems yet. i guess i should've scoured this forum before i bought it! oi!

so far it's very smooth. it doesn't skip after being left for a few moments. i'm still using the blue quink cartridge that came with it. i bought the slide-pump type convertor. i didn't know the Frontier could use the other deluxe convertor, is this true? maybe i'll buy that one also.
I don't have that Fleur-De-Lys. the parker's we have here, are made in UK, i guess they don't they're different from the US made ones.

End of line.

DSC00436crop.JPG
Posted Image

Current Pens;
Parker Frontier (Stainless Steel; chrome trim)
Parker Vaccumatic - Parker 51 (Mark II; two black, navy blue, burgundy) - Parker 21 - Parker 61
Sheaffer Balance (I think!) - Sheaffer Touchdown - Sheaffer Deskpens (Three)
Eversharp Deskpen

Sometime In The Future;
Parker Lattitude
Waterman Hemisphere
Caran D'Ache Dunas

#18 NateEssex

NateEssex

Mint

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPip
  • 79 posts

Posted 17 January 2008 - 02:12

Is it possible that the stainless steel version doesn't suffer from the cap issue?

Has anyone with the stainless steel version had a cap issue?
Lamy Safari ~ Lamy Studio ~ Pelikan M250

#19 hatherton_wood

hatherton_wood

Extremely Rare

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 298 posts

Posted 17 January 2008 - 07:44

My Stainless Steel one is the worst - will not hold on whatsoever. The caps I think are all the same internally. Actually it is the section that wears most rather than the cap.

#20 Wilfred86

Wilfred86

Near Mint

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPip
  • 30 posts

Posted 18 January 2008 - 13:54

Hello there,

Thank you all for your replies.

Update:

I just got these from eBay, how do you like them?

Sponsored Content

|