Pelikan 250 vs. 400 vs. 600 how to choose

jacq

Hello all,

I was wondering if I could get some ideas on which pen to choose...

I have narrowed my wants down to the Pelikan 250, 400 and 600.

I am ready to make my purchase of my first fountain pen since grade/high school times...

I would appreciate any and all thoughts on the above styles of Pelikan pens

Thank you very much for your time...

Jacq..

• Replies 15
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• jmkeuning

• iStealth

• jslallar

• telltime

Well, the only thing you will notice between the M250 and the M400 is the color options.

As for the M600, again, more color options, but also a larger pen.

But you probably know all of this - so, what is important to YOU?

Personally, I really like my M205 with a custom M400 nib in it.

Fool: One who subverts convention or orthodoxy or varies from social conformity in order to reveal spiritual or moral truth.

Well, the only thing you will notice between the M250 and the M400 is the color options.

As for the M600, again, more color options, but also a larger pen.

But you probably know all of this - so, what is important to YOU?

Personally, I really like my M205 with a custom M400 nib in it.

Pretty much says it all, except that the M400 comes with a 14ct nib rather than steel. I have several M200s and M400s but only one of the larger post 1997 M600s. It is a nice size pen which most people will find comfortable to use on a regular basis.

If you can try before you buy, but I am sure you will be pleased with whatever model you get.

Andy

The M250 is also 14K nib. That's the difference tween the M200/M205 and the M250.

Fool: One who subverts convention or orthodoxy or varies from social conformity in order to reveal spiritual or moral truth.

As far as I know, the M250 has a simple 14kt. gold nib, and up from that you get the 2-tone, intricately engraved one. The difference between the 400 and 600 is really only size. The 250 is the same size as the 400, and the 600 is larger than both. Hope this helps.

Cross: ATX

Esterbrook: Dollar Pen

Eversharp: Standard Skyline, Demi Skyline

Parker: 2 "51" Aerometrics, "51" Special, "21," Striped Duofold, Reflex

Pelikan: M605

Sailor: Sapporo

Sheaffer: 2 Balances

Waterman: CF, Phileas

First, you need to see if you like the small size of the M250/M400. I do, so it's not a problem. If you don't like the small size, the choice becomes MUCH easier.

deirdre.net

"Heck we fed a thousand dollar pen to a chicken because we could." -- FarmBoy, about Pen Posse

if size do not count - I would go for 200 or 250,

but personally the size of 2xx/400 is little to small for me.

try before buying.

How about the 215, comparatively?

IMHO, the M215 is about a look. A look which I do not like! But it is nice because it is a bit heavier than the M200; if you are into that sort of thing.

• 4 years later...

I am also thinking about Pelikan M250, 400NN, or M600, but I have no possibility to try and examine the size (the grip, the diameter where one actually holds the pen while writing). So, could someone rank/compare the diameter (feeling) of those pens with pens that I actually owe/owed: Montblanc Monte Rosa, MBs 344, 146, Boheme, Parker Duofold International (modelrd version) and Parker Duofold Senior (British (sigar-like) version). In my case I would prefer something as thick as at least MB 344,Boheme. The mentioned Parkers are a bit too narrow (again, the grip) and MB146 is nice but a bit too thick. Also, what about the weight, again MB Monte rosa, 344 are too light. So, the weight of Parkers in this case would be optimal. So which Pelican matches that ? :) Thanks!

200/400 are Standard sized pens...not small...

Some posting may be required. :rolleyes:

If you find the 200/400 too small stay away from almost all vintage pens, out side of the PFM, old 149's and very few more.

Vintage is mostly Standard and medium-large...like a P-51, or 400NN or old 146...which grew to a Large pen after the Large 800 came out.

You could also try the 215, which has a metal sleeve if you want a heavier pen.

Edited by Bo Bo Olson

In reference to P. T. Barnum; to advise for free is foolish, ........busybodies are ill liked by both factions.

The cheapest lessons are from those who learned expensive lessons. Ignorance is best for learning expensive lessons.

Of these my option would be M600 purely for the size of it.

If you are already using a M400 nib in a M250 you obviously like heavier pens so M400 is out.

Of the remaining size is the deciding fator if you are going to use a gold nib anyway.

Choose what best fits your hand.

Enjoy your pens

Have a nice day

Junaid

Of these my option would be M600 purely for the size of it.

If you are already using a M400 nib in a M250 you obviously like heavier pens so M400 is out.

Of the remaining size is the deciding fator if you are going to use a gold nib anyway.

Choose what best fits your hand.

Thanks for the replies. I actually tried M600 last weekend and found it way to light for me (unposted). The barrel size at the same time was ok. So indeed probably something that I can post and then it will be heavier. M600 posted was not convenient at all. Instead I got Aurora 88 "Big" (for a very good price) which is nice and heavy pen (similar to MB146), but unluckily the M nib is not my favorite, so I will be probably selling that as well...easy come easy go.... I think M800 is what I would like to have weight-wise, but the size will be too much.

Edited by iStealth

Hello iStealth

Aurora 88 is a very nice pen. What do you have the hooded nib older version or the open nib newer version, and what did you pay for it if you dont mind. Send me a PM if you dont want to post it on the blog here.

Junaid

Enjoy your pens

Have a nice day

Junaid

Hello iStealth

Aurora 88 is a very nice pen. What do you have the hooded nib older version or the open nib newer version, and what did you pay for it if you dont mind. Send me a PM if you dont want to post it on the blog here.

Junaid

I got the large modern one, open nib, in a box, probably inked once or twice, for 150$. The guy was just getting rid of his pens which he got as presents. I do not like the medium nib so soon will put it on eBay or a local internet-market. To buy the new F nib would cost me almost two times more that I spent for the pen :) Unfortunately the considered before Pelikans are too light for me, and I do not think I can get M800 cheap...now thinking about Sailor :)