The Fountain Pen Network uses (functional) cookies. Read the FPN Privacy Policy for more info.  To remove this message, please click here to accept the use of cookies

Registration on the Fountain Pen Network

Dearest Visitor of the little Fountain Pen Nut house on the digital prairie,

Due to the enormous influx of spammers, it is no longer possible to handle valditions in the traditional way. For registrations we therefore kindly and respectfully request you to send an email with your request to our especially created email address. This email address is register at fountainpennetwork dot com. Please include your desired user name, and after validation we will send you a return email containing the validation key, normally wiithin a week.

Thank you very much in advance!
The FPN Admin Team

Photo

Pilot Custom 743

• Please log in to reply
18 replies to this topic

#1 Blade Runner

Blade Runner

Blade Runner

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,166 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 05 November 2005 - 18:26

I wanted to share my latest pen, a Pilot custom 743.

It's easily mistaken for a Meisterstuck, but is thinner than the 149 and about the same width as a Pelikan 800 pictured together:

Posted Image

The fit and finish are comparable to the German pens.

Filled, the Pilot is 26g, the 800 is 30g and the 149 is 38g

The 743 is longer than the 800 capped, but is slightly shorter posted, because the cap covers more of the barrel. This feature makes the 743 a secure posting pen, a characteristic the 149 does not share.

The 743 is long enough to write comfortably unposted and is well balanced posted. Of the 3, the 743 fits my hand the best posted and unposted.

Posted Image

It has a pump convertor and has the largest ink capacity of any convertor I've seen and efficiently fills the chamber in 5 pumps of the button which is located at the end of the convertor:

Posted Image

The 14 k mediumPilot nib is smooth, large and nicely engraved. Japanese nibs typically give a thinner line width than American/European nibs of the same nib size , but this medium is quite similar in width to most of my American and European mediums. I'll post a writing sample if I get a chance.

Posted Image

This pen may well become my favorite and is highly recommended.
Lucy also approves

Posted Image
:)9

Regards,
Jeen

Sponsored Content

#2 southpaw

southpaw

Museum Piece

• Premium - Emerald

• 5,232 posts

Posted 05 November 2005 - 20:32

Very nice review of a great pen. Thanks for the look. Pretty kitty - we had one that look almost just like that, except he was 17 lbs! :meow:
"But God demonstrates His own love toward us, in that while we were still sinners, Christ died for us." (Rom. 5:8, NKJV)

#3 wimg

wimg

Stip Etruria nut :)

• FPN Admin

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 24,180 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 05 November 2005 - 21:14

Hi Jeen,

Thank you very much for the nice review, and comparison with a cat... ummm I mean, a few other dark coloured pens :D.

Lovely looking pen, resembles my Pilot Music a bit, although that is a lot smaller.

Warm regards, Wim

the Mad Dutchman
laugh a little, love a little, live a lot; laugh a lot, love a lot, live forever

#4 wimg

wimg

Stip Etruria nut :)

• FPN Admin

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 24,180 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 05 November 2005 - 21:15

Very nice review of a great pen.  Thanks for the look.  Pretty kitty - we had one that look almost just like that, except he was 17 lbs! :meow:

Hey Southpaw,

You're sure that wasn't a panther cub by any chance? :lol:

Warm regards, Wim

the Mad Dutchman
laugh a little, love a little, live a lot; laugh a lot, love a lot, live forever

#5 TheNobleSavage

TheNobleSavage

Antique

• FPN Supporter - Platinum

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,622 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 06 November 2005 - 03:29

Jeen,

I have been looking for this pen for quite sometime. Do they still make them and where can you get them at? What is the going rate for one of these pens.

Thanks

TNS
Check Out my Fountain Pen and Ink Review Sites
Fountain Pen Reviews
Ink Reviews

#6 Blade Runner

Blade Runner

Blade Runner

• Member - Gold

• 9,166 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 06 November 2005 - 04:22

Hi Noble Savage,

I don't believe they are made for the US market. Check ebay and search for the seller: ujuku123. There is one up for auction @ $250. He has a 100% positive feedback listing and is reputable. Good luck.

Regards,
Jeen

#7 Slush99

Slush99

FullMetal

• Member - Gold

• 1,579 posts

Posted 06 November 2005 - 04:36

Pretty kitty( oops i meant pens :blush: )
Humankind cannot gain anything without first giving something in return. To obtain, something of equal value must be lost.

Begun, the Spam Wars Have.
How to Be a Perfect Lady: according to the media - a satire
The Adventures of Chewie

#8 TheNobleSavage

TheNobleSavage

Antique

• FPN Supporter - Platinum

• 1,622 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 06 November 2005 - 06:13

Hi Noble Savage,

I don't believe they are made for the US market. Check ebay and search for the seller: ujuku123. There is one up for auction @ $250. He has a 100% positive feedback listing and is reputable. Good luck.

Regards,
Jeen

I bought a yellow Vanishing point from him!! He is a good seller and ships very quickly too. Ill check him out!! Thanks, I do appreciate the nice review!!!

TNS
Check Out my Fountain Pen and Ink Review Sites
Fountain Pen Reviews
Ink Reviews

#9 BinomialSpider

BinomialSpider

NOS (New Old Stock)

• Member - Gold

• PipPip
  • 18 posts

Posted 06 November 2005 - 06:20

FYI, if you want to see a current list of the Pilot fountain pens sold in Japan, with prices in Yen (you can ignore the Japanese text, or use BabelFish if you like), see http://pilot.co.jp/p...tain/index.html and http://pilot.co.jp/namiki/index.html . Some of the pens sold in the U.S. under the name "Namiki" are sold in Japan under the name "Pilot."

#10 Maja

Maja

Fan of colourful pens

• FPN Hon. Admin

• 6,430 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 06 November 2005 - 09:27

Wow, what a beautiful cat...and the pen is nice, too! :D

Thanks for the review, Jeen, and all the great close-ups of the pen. It's almost like seeing it in real life...
Vancouver (B.C) Pen Club (our website)

#11 davyr

davyr

Extremely Rare

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 339 posts

Posted 06 November 2005 - 22:57

nice read, i love the comparo pics. sub the pelikan for a black old style sailor king of pen, and you'd have a hard time distinguishing the three ;)
"i love the smell of celluloid nitrate in the morning...you know, the smell, that camphor smell, it smells like...victory."

#12 JRodriguez

JRodriguez

Anthropologist at large

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,245 posts

Posted 07 February 2007 - 07:03

Great pens you picked for reference, and great review.

#13 georges zaslavsky

georges zaslavsky

vintageandmodernpenslover

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 12,078 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 07 February 2007 - 07:40

it is a nice pen wink.gif
Pens are like watches , once you start a collection, you can hardly go back. And pens like all fine luxury items do improve with time

#14 JRodriguez

JRodriguez

Anthropologist at large

• Member - Gold

• 1,245 posts

Posted 07 February 2007 - 07:48

Yeah, I've read nothing but good things about this pen, and the 823, and I'm considering one or the other. In any case, perhaps I'll write a review should I find one soon.

#15 marklavar

marklavar

Collectors Item

• Away
  • 912 posts

Posted 09 February 2007 - 00:04

I don't agree that Pilot medium nibs are similar in width to Western nibs. Not at all.

#16 southpaw

southpaw

Museum Piece

• Premium - Emerald

• 5,232 posts

Posted 09 February 2007 - 01:30

The medium on my Pilot 823 is very much a western medium. It must be one of those YMMV things!
"But God demonstrates His own love toward us, in that while we were still sinners, Christ died for us." (Rom. 5:8, NKJV)

#17 sfeinman

sfeinman

Rare

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 133 posts

Posted 09 February 2007 - 02:01

I have a pilot custom 823 medium nib ordered from Japan. While I like a larger diameter, MB 149 or Pelikan 1000, and the filling system is not as nice as a piston fill the nib on this pen is the best on any of my pens. My litany includes DanI Trio,
MB 149 and 146, Pelikan 800 and 1000, Caran D'Ache, Filaco, Aurora, not naming the brands tried and rejected.
None of us can have as many virtues as the fountain-pen, or half its cussedness; but we can try” Mark Twain

#18 ProfMike

ProfMike

Order of the Pointy-Ended Writing Stick

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 299 posts

Posted 09 February 2007 - 03:10

QUOTE(JRodriguez @ Feb 7 2007, 07:48 AM)
Yeah, I've read nothing but good things about this pen, and the 823, and I'm considering one or the other. In any case, perhaps I'll write a review should I find one soon.

I've got the 823 and I absolutely love it! It's one of my all-time favorites! I ordered mine with the fine nib and found the flow a little dry at first. Fortunately, I had a chance to visit the Philly pen show and had the feed adjusted. biggrin.gif

Filled with Aurora black, it's one of the smoothers writers I own and lays down a wonderfully fine line. This is the first pen I've ever owned that, if heaven forbid I lost it, I'd have to find myself another one... immediately... at almost any cost. wink.gif

Whichever you choose, I hope you enjoy it.

All the best,
Mike

PS - Oh, bother... Now I have to research the 743, too... wink.gif
Flow good, ooze bad!

Mike

#19 marklavar

marklavar

Collectors Item

• Away
  • 912 posts

Posted 09 February 2007 - 09:43

QUOTE(southpaw @ Feb 8 2007, 05:30 PM)
The medium on my Pilot 823 is very much a western medium. It must be one of those YMMV things!

IMHO it's close to a Sheaffer Legacy medium, but narrower than a Parker Duofold, MB 146/149 or Waterman Man 100 medium. It's also narrower than medium nibs on Italian pens. So, let's just say it's broader than the typical Japanese medium, but slightly narrower than a typical Western.

Sponsored Content

|