Smoothest, easiest writing fps

Karin

If you'd consider very inexpensive pens, the Rotring Core pens write nicely and have a larger grip area just near the nib, and are very light weight.

• Replies 33
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Karin

• FLZapped

• TMann

• Slush99

Top Posters In This Topic

HI No one mentioned tghe ebonite churchill. I have one of the black ebonite pens and it is amazingly light but also very large. They are surely not cheap, but tend to be wet writers and so do not require much pressure. If you get to try one, you might like it. Good luck, jc

Thanks Tooloose (love the name)

I do have two butt ugly Rotring Cores. One in black with a fine nib and one in turquoise with a medium nib. They are really comfortable. The black one is in my bag and doesn`t get too many strange looks, but I haven`t taken the turquoise out with me for a long time :ph34r:

Fountain Pen Abundance

Hi John,

Oh goodie, I may just have to buy one B) I`ll try one first though and wait until I see a good price if I`m going to buy. I`ve always admired the pens, but I don`t smoke so it seems a waste. :lol:

Fountain Pen Abundance

Karin,

I hope your hands are feeling better (and you're keeping them warm :). Wish I had a lot of pen suggestions, but the largest that I have are my Sheaffer No-Nonsense pens, Lamys, and my Conklin Mark Twain Signature pen, so I can't be of much help...But I want to send my best wishes anyway, and hope that the painful inconvenience turns out to be a good reason to get many new, big pens!

Best, Ann

Ann, your statement about keeping warm triggered something. Our office is sometimes extremely cold, so I got a pair of those fingerless bike gloves to keep my mouse hand warm.

-Bruce

My experiences with the Pelikan M200 (translucent blue, broad nib) and Parker Sonnet (medium, steel nib with the "cheaper" finish) suggest that they're both smooth writers and not too small or too big/heavy. I hope your fibromyalgia flare-up doesn't last too long. Get well soon!

Sometimes I write things (as of 2013

http://katesplace7.wordpress.com/

Hi Karin;

Hope your feeling better and best wishes. Thought I would also throw in a suggestion. I find of all things the Frontier with a medium nib quite a wet and easy gliding experience. It is light and also is good unposted. Plus it has a nice grip on the section.

But then I could be biaised as I think the Frontier and Sonnet are the best modern Parkers out there (for the price). Don't like the 100 and can't afford most Duofolds. :)

Ditto what Sonnet says. I have three of the black matte chrome trim Sonnets in medium and they are quite nice as well.

Anyhoo those are my suggestions. Take care.

Rowdy

Hi Bruce,

I think weight can be a problem if the pen is not balanced well. I don't usually post my pens. I'm also a lefty. I have other characteristics of the oppressed class too that I won't go into. :D

Karin :bunny1:

Hi Karin,

I just received a Parker Flighter 45. Without the cap, it weighs almost nothing. It uses a slide converter, which I found easy to use one handed.

It is average in size, however.

I have one pen that needs repair and one on the way, I'll try and get my act together and compare them all to each other. Maybe that will help somehow.

-Bruce

I don't know that the smoothness will really be that important compared to the size, section material and shape, etc... but honestly, out of all the pens I have (Ranging from $5 to $300, so no real high end stuff) my smoothest writers are usually the cheapest: the Lamy Safari and Pelikan GO, for instance.

I also have a number of Binderized nibs and they, of course, write like butter :)

http://katexic.com/clippings/

Love interesting words? Curious links? Great writing? Subscribe to the free, thrice weekly Katexic Clippings newsletter!

I don't have any hand problems, but I don't find the Dr. Grip comfortable at all to write with over an extended time! I brought it thinking that it's really comfortable, but I think my hands are more comfortable holding a regular papermate pen than a Dr. Grip. Actually, I don't go well with thick barrels, whether it's light or heavy.

But I keep reading that Dr. Grips are good for arthritis hands.

I'm new to the fountain pen arena and from the limited pens I have, I think my Hero 100 writes the best and so so so smooth. I love it!

http://img525.imageshack.us/img525/606/letterji9.png

My Duofold Centennial is an extremely smooth, wet, and easy writer, so much so I do not need to apply the slightest bit of pressure to write B) But I suspect it is perhaps on the heavier side for joint problems? I don't have one, but the Bexley Americana might fit the bill: it's fairly large, has a nice big nib, and it is light.

Hey Roy,

Aren`t you flying somewhere? :lol: Ok, I have to admit, I have many, many pens that are smooth and easy to write with. I was just looking for that one magical pen that would make this annoying, but not life threating disease go away.

My hands are better, but it`s in my back now.

I`ve got to get me some narcotics soon :angry:

Fountain Pen Abundance

• 3 months later...

I'd agree with TruBlu, the big Omas 360 would do well. I too have hand pain when I write. I've got a raw ebonite Dani Mikado and its big and fat enough for me to hold and not cause any grief. More importantly, its texture is tactile enough to not require much grip pressure, and coupled with a soft flex nib, it pretty much writes by itself. Fibromyalgia is no fun. Another option might be to contact winedoc and see if the folks at Dani Trio might be able to do a one-off for you. This actually might be a good case study for winedoc since he's in pain mgmt. This thread reminds me of one a few years ago on a pipe group. There was a pipe smoking priest who had suffered a stroke and didn't have much use in his right side. A couple of pipe makers got togther and designed him a pipe and some tools that he could use given his condition. Hope all turns out well for you.

tom.