Smoothest, easiest writing fps

Karin

Hey folks,

I need some input here. I'm having a tough time with my fibromyalgia. I'm in mucho pain when I write or type (ouch)

I have found that large pens are easier for me. I do have a number of them and will be experimenting with all of them.

Does anyone have some suggestions about which pen would be the easiest to hold and write with for any length of time.

So far, I'm ok with my Stipula Etruria :) and the Dani Trios. I know there's no magic solution, but any suggestions would be appreciated.

Thanks,

Karin

Fountain Pen Abundance

• Replies 33
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Karin

• FLZapped

• TMann

• Slush99

Top Posters In This Topic

Hi Karin,

You're right, tough to answer. Is weight a problem too? Just bought a Parker 100, which is a large pen, but a real heavyweight.

-Bruce

Hi Bruce,

I think weight can be a problem if the pen is not balanced well. I don't usually post my pens. I'm also a lefty. I have other characteristics of the oppressed class too that I won't go into. :D

Karin :bunny1:

Fountain Pen Abundance

Hi Karin

A few suggestions - I have the silver Cross Verve which is nicely balanced, light and writes much smoother than anticipated, a Bexley 10th anniversary striped ebonite or something from Delta like a Dolce Vita (large size not the Monster size) or perhaps a Parthenope. I have found Delta nibs to be very smooth. An Omas 360 may also work, although some people can't get use to the triangular shape. If you can, the pen is light and Omas nibs are incredibly smooth. You might even try an Omas Arte Italiana Paragon. The new Parker Pinstripe Duofold Centennial is a nice size pen. I have one but have not inked it so can't comment on the nib.

I don't know if you have tried or access to these pens, but if you are in the area, I would be happy to let you try mine.

Hope that helps.

MikeW

"In the land of fountain pens, the one with the sweetest nib reigns supreme!"

Check out the London Pen Club.

Karin,

First of all, sorry about the pain issues! I'm my late 30's, and I was complaining to my wife the other day that I don't "get sick" or "get hurt" any more; I now have chronic "ailments." On any given morning, my back is bothering me, or my reflux has been really bad, or something else. I'm fortunate in that none of my issues are debilitating, but they sure are annoying. :angry:

Anyways, in regards to your pen choices, you may also want to consider having your pen nibs "tuned" to make sure that they are all smooth, easy writers that don't require a lot of pressure. Most of mine are pretty smooth, but there are a couple that seem to need a bit more pressure to write properly. My hand tends to get a bit more fatigued when I use one of those pens.

Good luck with your pen search!

TMann

Edited by TMann

Karin, I'll be praying for you. My wife has fibromyalgia, but fortunately a mild case. A lady in our church has it as well, but hers varies and at times is very acute. Sorry to hear about that.

WRT FPs, I have a few larger ones that are light and well balanced. I prefer to post them, but unposted they are even lighter. All of these also had very smooth and trouble -free nibs right out of the box. I think any of them would fit the bill of what you're describing. Here they are:

Bexley Sheherazade (translucent piston filler, smooth medium)

Bexley Submariner Grande (smooth stub with metal section switched to a black resin one by Richard Binder)

Stipula Duetto LE (smooth medium nib)

Sheaffer Cobalt Glow Balance II (smooth fine nib)

Again, particularly without the caps, these are light weight and well balanced. I use all of them posted and find that they are still well balanced. The caps do add a bit of weight, but not a huge amount. Just based on feel, and this could be way off, I would say the Sheherazade cap is heaviest, followed by the Duetto, then the Grande, and finally the Cobalt Glow.

HTH, southpaw.

"But God demonstrates His own love toward us, in that while we were still sinners, Christ died for us." (Rom. 5:8, NKJV)

Karin,

I have arthritis in my hands and wrist. I experience considerable pain using heavy pens. I find the pens that are most confortable for me to use are very well balanced and light. I do best with vintage Sheaffer Balance (not OS ) and modern Pelikans in the 400 size.

I once thought thicker pens would be more comfortable. At least for me, they aren't. In fact the "Dr. Grip" is one of the worst. When I must use something other than a fountain pen, I use a Sarasa gel pen by Zebra. The gel flows freely and I can control it with a very loose grip--really just letting it rest in my hand.

It is critical that I hold the pen very loosely. I also hold a pen much flatter to the paper than most people due because my thumb is so stiff. I've had Richard Binder reshape the nib on several of my most frequently used pens so that I'm still writing on the sweet spot.

Keeping my hands warm is an issue. I also have impaired circulation due to Raynaud's. I sometimes wear the lycra fingerless gloves that are sold in craft and fabric stores.

When I'm working on a long project either at my writing desk or on the computer, I take frequent breaks. I run warm water in the bathroom sink and soak my hands for a bit. I also use a generic, aspirin based cream on my hands for pain relief.

'hope some of these suggestions help.

Mary Plante

Just lending you my support and understanding. I have joint pain that moves around. When it hits my hands, I find that about the only pens I can use are the Pelikans 400-600 for the lightweight part, or the VP because the grip clip gives me something to "grab" on to lightly enough to be able to control the pen. But then flushing and rinsing become near impossible.

I'm with Mary though. Keep those hands warm! That's my biggest help even though the joints feel like they're on fire sometimes. Take care.

Never lie to your dog.

Hi Bruce,

I think weight can be a problem if the pen is not balanced well. I don't usually post my pens. I'm also a lefty. I have other characteristics of the oppressed class too that I won't go into. :D

Karin :bunny1:

I have a bunch of large pens and also find that they are comfortable to write with for extended periods. Have you thought of the 'Mae West" shaped Danit Trio pens I have one that's just a solid read and it slides into my hand for writing. Also the Delta Fellini is a large pen of celluloid that is an oversized cigar shape and niceto write with.

Kurt H

Thanks so much to all of you. Mary and Leslie, I will take extra care to keep my hands warm. Unfortunately the pain is in my forearms all the way up to my shoulders and everywhere else above and below. I guess I should write in the bath :(

I do have several vintage Balances and many others :D that I'll be trying.

Kurt, thanks for the Mae West shape idea. That might be a good one.

And Slush, I have two Cores. You're right they are comfortable :ph34r:

Karin

:bunny1: :bunny1:

Edited by Karin

Fountain Pen Abundance

I just thought of a couple more largish, but light pens:

1. Lamy Safari, or Al-Star

2. Sheaffer NoNonsense

Neither of these are very expensive, obviously, but they're both great everyday writers.

TMann

I haven't seen Aurora mentioned. I have a large one with an italic nib that is one of my smoothest writers. It's a bit big for me, but does not have the weight of some others, so I still use it.

All the best to you.

"He was born with the gift of laughter and a sense that the world was mad." - Scaramouche by Rafael Sabatini

Wow, I didn't see quite a few of your posts. Thanks once again for your suggestions.

I think TMann is right on the mark about pens needing to be fine-tuned. I've noticed that pens need to be adjusted especially for lefties.

And the Lamys are great. I have a lefthanded Lamy Demonstrator that's nice. And an orange medium nib that I haven't even inked yet.

Southpaw and everyone else, your wishes and suggestions are making me feel better in spirit and that's the most important.

:wub:

Fountain Pen Abundance

Hi Karin,

Well-wishes from this side of the big pond, too!

RSI is something I suffer from, and the reason I got into fps in a big way, is because the first fountain pen in years I used, the Edson, essentially helped relieving all of the pain in my hands, arms and shoulder.

Most of the time I am without pain these days, so I am very happy that I got this pen as a present, because it really set me on a path of "enlightenment" :D.

I guess this is also the reason I love Etrurias so much. They do the same for me, but then have this nice springy feedback too... :D

I use the Edson for fast writing and note taking, and the Etrurias for pure pleasure :D.

HTH, warm regards, Wim

Edited by wimg

the Mad Dutchman
laugh a little, love a little, live a lot; laugh a lot, love a lot, live forever

Karin,

I hope your hands are feeling better (and you're keeping them warm :). Wish I had a lot of pen suggestions, but the largest that I have are my Sheaffer No-Nonsense pens, Lamys, and my Conklin Mark Twain Signature pen, so I can't be of much help...But I want to send my best wishes anyway, and hope that the painful inconvenience turns out to be a good reason to get many new, big pens!

Best, Ann

Bad luck on the pain.

I found, when I started getting arthritis in the hands, that larger pens were better. Now I find that thin and heavy pens are bad, but it also helps to change pens quite often.

One large and light pen you might think of is a Parker Duofold -- the original Big Red. Only downside is that button fillers aren't the nicest if you have pain in the hands. The Big Red is a bit too big for me, but it's a great pen to have, anyway. I also find that Vacumatics and Pelikans of the 200 size are good, too. If short is OK, the Duofold Junior (Little Red) is also a possibility -- about the same length as a Pelikan 200, but significantly fatter than most pens.

There is no good side to your situation, but at least it gives you a reason to try lots of pens. I think the pens from the old days might be a good bet, since they tended to be light for their size.

Best wishes

Michael

Karin,

Sorry to hear about the pain :( I am not sure what type of pen to recommend as I do not have arthritis or fibromyalgia (touch wood)... and I don't like huge pens (but I do love the Mento I got from you :) ).

Sending you best wishes and good vibes for a quick end to this flare up of your fibromyalgia.

Take care,

~Maja

P.S. This isn't just an excuse to buy more pens, is it? ;)

JUST KIDDING!!! :P

Hi Maja,

It is an excuse to buy more pens :P Actually it was an excuse for asking for sympathy and virtual hugs.

I`m feeling better now. (more drugs :drool: ) Drugs and pens are my main expenses. (Have a drug plan but it only covers 80 %)

:bunny1: :bunny1:

Fountain Pen Abundance