Hi to all from Oregon

Cosmic_Pen_Dulum

Hi, my name is Cathy and I hail from the Great Pacific Northwest. Wikipedia led me to your site... I had only gone there seeking knowledge, and here I am.

My experiences and knowledge of FP's are limited, but I'm keen to learn... somehow, everything written with a fountain pen just seems more profound, or so I hope future generations reading my journals will think. ;)

• Replies 12
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Maja

• Johnny Appleseed

• Blade Runner

• Cosmic_Pen_Dulum

Welcome Cathy!

This is an informative and friendly forum. Ask away.

How did you get interested in fps? What may i ask is the nature of your journaling?

Regards,

Jeen

P.S. Did you get alot of rain this year? I love rain and Oregon is in the running for future settlement :)

Edited by jeen

Hi Cathy and welcome to the Nut House.

you'll find lots of good info and lots of good chatter and friendly exchanges here. plus we just love to gush about our favorite pens, inks, papers, etc.

in the Chatter forum we tend to talk a lot about our pets. okay, *I* talk a lot about my pet. :)

so... i look forward to reading more from you and hope you enjoy FPN

KCat

KCat
Save animal lives - support your local animal shelter

My personal blog https://kcdockalscribbling.com

My nature blog https://kcbeachscribbles.com
Venerable are letters, infinitely brave, forlorn, and lost. V. Woolf, Jacob's Room

Welcome Cathy!

This is an informative and friendly forum.    Ask away. 

How did you get interested in fps?    What may i ask is the nature of your journaling?

Regards,

Jeen

P.S.  Did you get alot of rain this year?  I love rain and Oregon is in the running for future settlement :)

Thank you, Jeen.

Re: Oregon rain

Last winter was fairly dry, but we had rain from April to July to make up for it. The summer was wonderfully moderate, not too hot and very little rain. Two weeks ago the rain started in earnest again, and forecasters say we'll be getting the wet stuff for another week, as well. I love rain, too, which is good, considering. ;)

Re: Resettlement

It's a fantastic place to live... only place better I can think of is New Zealand. But, don't tell anyone else, or they'll ALL want to move here. ;)

Re: Fountain pens

I used to write with fountain pens (very inexpensive ones) in school. They took cartridges, though, and I never seemed to have one to hand when needed. A couple of years ago I got a Levenger catalogue in the mail, and the urge to write with a well-tuned instrument was reborn. When I got the annual Levenger in the mail last week I decided that this was the year, hence the quest. My hope is that now I'm older, I'll be able to keep myself in ink.

Re: Journaling

I keep two, one of thoughts and one on books I'm reading.

You'll have to point me to your introduction thread and I'll get the scoop on you. Have to sign off now, but I look forward to coming back and reading.

Thanks for the welcome,

Cathy

Cathy,

I keep travel journals.

But you mention a book journal. :eureka:

I love reading stories, so I am wondering why I did not think of this? Over the years I confuse stories and forget details, so this would be very helpful.

What kind of entries do you make, may I ask?

I imagine I would write comments about literary technique, make note of beautiful sentences, epigrams, interesting words, make family trees for stories with big families, and so on. A mosaic approach. Now to choose a notebook.... Do you have a favorite brand?

Regards,

Jeen

I :wub: journals too! What brand journal do you use? Im also curious. I make entries about all sorts of random things though. :blush:

Edit: My journal is from Taiwan and bleeds totally. :angry:

Edited by Slush99

Humankind cannot gain anything without first giving something in return. To obtain, something of equal value must be lost.

Begun, the Spam Wars Have.

How to Be a Perfect Lady: according to the media - a satire

The Adventures of Chewie

Hello and welcome to FPN! Glad you found us from way across the USA - at least relative to where I am in eastern NC anyhow! Always glad to have another FP fan here, but be warned, this place will hurt your $ (you'll see so many great pens, inks, and papers, that you'll just have to get some of them). It's a wonderful place. See you around.

"But God demonstrates His own love toward us, in that while we were still sinners, Christ died for us." (Rom. 5:8, NKJV)

Howdy Cathy and welcome to the Fountain Pen Nuthouse University! :D Here you can learn many things about fountain pens, inks, papers and everything else you wanted to know about fine writing instruments. Likewise, the people who reside here are very knowledgeable, and friendly, so please feel free to ask any questions that you like. :)

Sincerely yours,

Ronnie Banks

"Like a prized watch, a good fountain pen is a trusted companion for life."

Hi, my name is Cathy and I hail from the Great Pacific Northwest. Wikipedia led me to your site... I had only gone there seeking knowledge, and here I am.

Hi Cathy,

Welcome to FPN! :D

Was that a deliberate reference to a Police song "Wrapped Around Your Finger") in the last sentence? If so, do I get a prize? :P

I too live in the Pacific Northwest (or NorthWET as we call it here) but on the other side of the border. I had the good fortune to attend the 2004 inaugural Portland Pen Show with some pen friends and had a blast. The weather was extremely hot that weekend though and I was cooking as I waited for the MAX....

Enjoy the site!

Another Northwesterner from North of the border - but South of the Border Maja is talking about. ;)

- just about a 3-hour drive to the North in fact. Haven't made the Portland Pen show yet, but I am hoping to get there next year.

BTW - you have an excellent pen repair person in Portland - Micheal McNiel of Northwest Penworks.

JA

Edited by Johnny Appleseed

So if you have a lot of ink,

You should get a Yink, I think.

- Dr Suess

Always looking for pens by Baird-North, Charles Ingersoll, and nibs marked "CHI"

Another Northwesterner from North of the border - but South of the Border Maja is talking about. ;)

- just about a 3-hour drive to the North in fact. Haven't made the Portland Pen show yet, but I am hoping to get there next year.

Hi Johnny,

If your coordinates are correct (47 degrees, 39 minutes N and 129 degrees, 19 seconds W) then I place you in NE China....Am I correct? :huh:

If your coordinates are correct (47 degrees, 39 minutes N and 129 degrees, 19 seconds W) then I place you in NE China....Am I correct?
\

Actually, that would be 129 degrees, 19 minutes East. Longitude are measured starting from the line going through Greenwich England. Everything east of there to the 180th meridian is East, everything West is West.

However, my coordinates are wrong - 129 degrees west would put me several hundred miles out in the Pacific Ocean. That should read 47 degrees, 39 minutes N, 122 degrees, 19 minutes W.

Good catch!

So if you have a lot of ink,

You should get a Yink, I think.

- Dr Suess

Always looking for pens by Baird-North, Charles Ingersoll, and nibs marked "CHI"

If your coordinates are correct (47 degrees, 39 minutes N and 129 degrees, 19 seconds W) then I place you in NE China....Am I correct?
\

Actually, that would be 129 degrees, 19 minutes East. Longitude are measured starting from the line going through Greenwich England. Everything east of there to the 180th meridian is East, everything West is West.

However, my coordinates are wrong - 129 degrees west would put me several hundred miles out in the Pacific Ocean. That should read 47 degrees, 39 minutes N, 122 degrees, 19 minutes W.

Good catch!

Ok, so you live near the U of Washington in Seattle?

China...Seattle....Close enough! :lol: