The Fountain Pen Network uses (functional) cookies. Read the FPN Privacy Policy for more info.  To remove this message, please click here to accept the use of cookies

Registration on the Fountain Pen Network

Dearest Visitor of the little Fountain Pen Nut house on the digital prairie,

Due to the enormous influx of spammers, it is no longer possible to handle valditions in the traditional way. For registrations we therefore kindly and respectfully request you to send an email with your request to our especially created email address. This email address is register at fountainpennetwork dot com. Please include your desired user name, and after validation we will send you a return email containing the validation key, normally wiithin a week.

Thank you very much in advance!
The FPN Admin Team

Photo

Sheaffer Nononsense stainless steel (56k warning)

• Please log in to reply
15 replies to this topic

#1 Wilfred86

Wilfred86

Near Mint

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPip
  • 30 posts

Posted 05 January 2008 - 15:34

Dear fountain pen lovers,

This is a review about the Stainles steel Sheaffer Nononsense. My first review, so be gentle. The pictures are a bit crappy, I have cheap macro lenses, embarrassed_smile.gif. Some time ago I acquired three of these for a very reasonable price. My stepfather has one as well, he promised me his pen if I would do well in high school, but I had to buy these pens, so you know now what a dreadfull student I was back then. I hope you enjoy the review!

General impression

These are quite sturdy pens, and quite large too. I like its design, very simple. The fact that it has a twist-on cap and is made from stainless steel, makes it an ideal pen, for me, that is. It looks not cheap, but not expensive either. Just a fine "middle class" pen.

Weight and thickness

The weight of this pen is medium, a bit heavier than the plastic Nononsense, but not that much. The Sheaffer Prelude for example, is heavier than this pen. It is comparable in weight to a modern Duofold International (both 21 grams).

To see its size relative to other pens, I included a picture with some well known pens.

How Does It Write?

The nib is the plain stainless steel nib used in a lot of other Sheaffer pens (used still today in my Sheaffer Prelude). It is a stiff nib, medium and when you write with it you feel a bit more resistance than, for example, a Parker Frontier (very smooth). I The pen lais down a nice wet line. Well, as said before, comparable to my Sheaffer Prelude; a wet line with a bit of resistance.

Material

Stainless steel! One of the nicest materials one can use for a fountain pen. It looks sleek, clean and modern. And it is durable of course.

nice

These pens have a very nice design, are cheap, and write very well!

not so nice

From the three pens, two have caps wich screw on a bit "harshly", not very smooth. But I think when used a lot, this problem will eventually solve itself.

Here some extra pictures.

I hope you enjoyed my review. Thanks for reading!

Groeten uit Nederland!
(Greetings from the Netherlands!)

De pen is sterker dan het zwaard

Sponsored Content

#2 Nellie

Nellie

Vintage

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 507 posts

Posted 05 January 2008 - 15:42

Hi, Wilfred86,
that's a nice review of a very cool pen. I love my NoNonsenses. Where did you find yours (and, I hope you don't mind me asking, how much did you pay for one)?
Thanks,
Nellie
Posted Image

#3 Wilfred86

Wilfred86

Near Mint

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPip
  • 30 posts

Posted 05 January 2008 - 16:19

Hello Nellie,

I bought the pens on Ebay, about a year ago. The pens were 15 euro per pen. The seller had another one (not listed then),
wich, after I bought my three pens, was going for 30 euro (probably because I bought three at once, hehe).

Wilfred

#4 greencobra

greencobra

Antique

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,653 posts

Posted 05 January 2008 - 17:18

Wilfred, nice review! I don't own a Sheaffer but your review tells me I should seek a few Nononsense's just because.

Your photos are wonderful. You should see the (Potty Mouth) I put up when I post a photo, embarrasing to say the least.
JELL-O, IT'S WHATS FOR DINNER!

#5 wvbeetlebug

wvbeetlebug

GO EERS!!!

• Member - Gold

• 2,244 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 05 January 2008 - 18:20

I thought it was a very nice review. Thank you for sharing!

:happycloud9:

Cathy L. Carter

Live. Love. Write.

#6 RayMan

RayMan

Penathlete

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,356 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 05 January 2008 - 18:38

Nice pen, and very nice review. I've been planning to buy a Sheaffer No Nonsense for quite some time. I really want one now! Thanks!
Regards,

Ray

#7 TMann

TMann

Vintage

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 783 posts

Posted 05 January 2008 - 18:53

Wow. Nice pen. I first saw a picture of the stainless steel No Nonsense on the PenHero website, but I've ever actually see on in person, or even for sale on the internet. Where did you buy yours from?

Thanks for the nice review! biggrin.gif

TMann

#8 Maja

Maja

Fan of colourful pens

• FPN Hon. Admin

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,430 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 05 January 2008 - 19:11

Thanks for the review, Wilfred! (nice handwriting, by the way wink.gif )

I have a stainless steel NoNonsense that I got from a fellow FPNer, a generous pen friend, and I love using it! biggrin.gif
Oh, I just wanted to add that I appreciate you showing us the pen in its original packing as I had never seen that before. I suspect that a fair number of the stainless steel NN's can be found in the UK. Just a suspicion, no proof for my supposition....

Edited by Maja, 05 January 2008 - 19:13.

Vancouver (B.C) Pen Club (our website)

#9 Wilfred86

Wilfred86

Near Mint

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPip
  • 30 posts

Posted 05 January 2008 - 19:11

greencobra: thanks for your compliment, smile.gif

@TMann: I bought them from eBay about a year ago. Since then I haven't seen one again.
@Maja: Yes, these were indeed from the UK. And about the handwriting: You find this impressive? Watch me using a stub nib, wink.gif

Wilfred

Edited by Wilfred86, 05 January 2008 - 19:24.

#10 Rincewind

Rincewind

Egregious Professor of Cruel and Unusual Geography

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 183 posts

Posted 05 January 2008 - 20:54

Good review!

I have one of these with the fine italic calligraphy nib, a great writer.

- Stuart
Rincewind

"Luck is my middle name. Mind you, my first name is Bad."
--Rincewind, "Interesting Times"

#11 AlejoPlay

AlejoPlay

Collectors Item

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 868 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 06 January 2008 - 04:53

oh god, i love flighters and No Nonsense pens.

now i have to look out for these. amazing.

#12 hari317

hari317

Classic

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 14,846 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 06 January 2008 - 06:59

Nice review and nice handwriting thumbup.gif
My plastic orange no nonsense is a good writer too. The SS No nonsense looks great!

In case you wish to write to me, pls use ONLY email by clicking here. I do not check PMs. Thank you.

#13 andyk

andyk

Antique

• Member - Gold

• 2,618 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 06 January 2008 - 11:18

Hi,

Nice review, I really like the No Nonsense pens, I have several (probably about 20) in various colours including a Stainless Steel one and an Old Timer.

I bought quite a few BPs a couple of years ago mainly the marbled ones in various colours and having acquired 6 replacement nib on ebay have converted a couple to eyedropper pens, you can convert to FPs easily by 'pulling' the spring in the barrel (I use a crochet hook).

They are nice writers and even the plastic ones are pretty sturdy, even better they are a reminder of the vintage flat top Sheaffers for those that can't afford those.

Andy

#14 theblackpen

theblackpen

Nib creep

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 505 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 06 January 2008 - 11:52

Great review and great photos! Thanks! thumbup.gif

NO

#15 TheNightowl

TheNightowl

Near Mint

• Member - Silver

• PipPipPip
  • 27 posts

Posted 12 October 2010 - 16:01

Nice review, Wilfred. And I agree, nice penmanship.

I hadn't seen this review until after I got my own SS No Nonsense!

Like TMann, I first saw the SS No Nonsense on the Pen Hero website, just within the last couple of months. Up until that time, I'd no idea they had ever made an SS version.

Just a few days later, what to my wondering eyes should appear on eBay, but a SS No Nonsense! It was a bit steep for my budget, being $50 on a "Buy it now" listing. But temptation won out, and I snatched it up before anyone else could. Unfortunately, no original packaging or anything came with it. I switched out the fine nib from another of my No Nonsense pens for the medium that it was fitted with when I got it. (I have a "fine hand," and medium nibs tend to make open letters, like e, l, o, etc., look "filled in.")

I don't usually like "fat" pens, but I remember the No Nonsense with a bit of nostalgia, and I don't regret for an instant getting hold of this one! It's not my "everyday" pen, more of a special occasion one, but definitely one in my rotation of inked pens.

Nightowl

#16 Ondina

Ondina

Donor Pen

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,924 posts

Posted 12 October 2010 - 16:23

That's a fantastic review of a wonderful pen, sections and nibs are interchangeable with Balance II and Connoisseurs. Many thanks.

Sponsored Content

|