New member from Victoria, BC

ebwatt

Hello all.

I've been lurking for a while and thought I should introduce myself. I bought my first fountain pen about 3 1/2 years ago. It was a modern $10 cartridge filler off ebay. It was sloppy and leaky and I loved it - until I dropped it and bent the nib to a 90 degree angle. That was then end that. Except that I was hooked on fountain pens.

Since then I've developed a modest collection that includes a number of moderately priced modern pens including a Lamy Studio, a Lamy Safari, a Sailor Sapporo, and a Monteverde of some description (not sure the model name). Over the past two weeks I've gone a little nuts on ebay and picked up a total of 7 vintage pens ranging from a pair of NOS Wearevers to a jade Parker Duofold Junior. Still waiting for all of those to arrive.

Earlier this week I made a solemn vow to my wife that I would not be buying any more pens...for the time being. So, my next adventures will have to revolve around ink. I'm hoping to get started with some Waterman basics then hit Noodlers and Private Reserve for some colours other than black, blue, and green.

In any event, I can't tell you how nice it is to see that there are so many others afflicted...er blessed with this same love of the fountain pen. If any of you are from Victoria, I'd love to hear from you.

Eb

Attitude: the difference between an ordeal and an adventure.

• Replies 24
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Maja

• ebwatt

• lapis

• shadowsforbars

Welcome Eb, from the lower mainland!

I have to say that for me, ink is even more of an addiction than the pens... Once you've stepped into the worlds of Noodler's and Private Reserve, there's no turning back! :roflmho: The ink vial swaps are a fun way to get started- it lets you try out inks that maybe aren't available to you locally, or that you're not sure about, without making a huge investment... check out these links for more info:

https://www.fountainpennetwork.com/forum/in...p?showtopic=127

https://www.fountainpennetwork.com/forum/in...?showtopic=6426

I recall a shop in Victoria that carries Private Reserve- Simply The Best, and a Crane's Stationery near by, from when I was there last summer... If you haven't yet discovered, specialty/fountain pen-friendly papers are another big topic of discussion here :D

http://img261.imageshack.us/img261/4619/inkxchangemm0.png Currently out of vials.my ink list

Ink of the moment: mix of Noodler's Lermontov, Britannia's Blue Waves, and Whiteness of the Whale

Hi Eb,

We're nearly neighbors, at least on a global scale! I'm in Spokane.

Welcome to FPN! I hope you enjoy your "new" pens when they finally arrive (waiting is the worst).

FYI: There's a great FP collector's club that meets in Seattle once a month. Several FPN members can direct you to this group if you're interested. There's also a great pen show in Portland in July. Oh, and there are several folks from BC here on FPN as well...

Cheers,

Tom

Eb,

Welcome from this newbie. My wife and I were in Seattle and the Olympic Peninsula a couple of years ago. Never did make it across to Canada ... maybe some day. Enjoy the forum I know I will.

There's also a great pen show in Portland in July. Oh, and there are several folks from BC here on FPN as well...

Yeah, there's a few of us here on FPN, as Tom writes...Welcome to FPN! :D

There is a Vancouver (B.C.) Pen Club that meets roughly every two months, but Victoria may be a wee bit too far to travel for a 2-3 hour meeting.....

Now, the Portland Pen Show is definitely worth the travel time!

It is an annual show and the next one is scheduled for July 11-13, 2008 (that's Friday, Saturday and Sunday). Info here: htpp://www.portlandpenshow.com

It may sound far to travel, but the next closest pen show is Los Angeles.. :(

There's also a great pen show in Portland in July. Oh, and there are several folks from BC here on FPN as well...

Yeah, there's a few of us here on FPN, as Tom writes...Welcome to FPN! :D

There is a Vancouver (B.C.) Pen Club that meets roughly every two months, but Victoria may be a wee bit too far to travel for a 2-3 hour meeting.....

Now, the Portland Pen Show is definitely worth the travel time!

It is an annual show and the next one is scheduled for July 11-13, 2008 (that's Friday, Saturday and Sunday). Info here: htpp://www.portlandpenshow.com

It may sound far to travel, but the next closest pen show is Los Angeles.. :(

Thank you all for the warm welcome.

Maja, I would love to attend the Vancouver Pen Club but I fear the logistics are a bit tricky. If I'm ever going to be in town when you have a meeting on, I'll be sure to drop in.

Just out of curiosity, do you know of any decent pen shops in Victoria other than Simply the Best?

Eb

Attitude: the difference between an ordeal and an adventure.

Greetings from a few hundred miles south in Vancouver (The first Vancouver) Washington.

Jim

Maja, I would love to attend the Vancouver Pen Club but I fear the logistics are a bit tricky. If I'm ever going to be in town when you have a meeting on, I'll be sure to drop in.

Just out of curiosity, do you know of any decent pen shops in Victoria other than Simply the Best?

Eb

You're always welcome to attend, Eb :)

Just check the "Clubs, Meetings and Events" forum here on FPN for details on upcoming meetings as I post them...

As for pen shops in Victoria, sorry, I don't know of any others, other than STB. I know there are a ton of antique shops on nearby Fort Street and I've had good luck finding vintage fountain pens at Recollections Antiques, run by Michael Case and his wife (website here: http://recollectionsantiques.com/ )

We're pretty darned fortunate to have no less than 7 (! :o ! ) pen stores in the Greater Vancouver area (5 in Vancouver, 1 in North Vancouver and 1 in Richmond)...

• 7 months later...

Hi

I also live in Victoria

Welcome

I have spent an ungodly amount of money this past two years on fountian pens.

I too promised my wife (several times) I would not buy any more fntn pens for a while. One of these days i intend to keep my promise.

Ink is hard to find here. Vancouver open has private reserve but not Noodlers, Island Blue has a good selection of J Herbin ink and Simply the Best has a fluctuating supply of Private reserve and Visconti

And nothere are no other pen shops in Victoria, of whihc I am aware.

Barry

Hello all.

I've been lurking for a while and thought I should introduce myself. I bought my first fountain pen about 3 1/2 years ago. It was a modern $10 cartridge filler off ebay. It was sloppy and leaky and I loved it - until I dropped it and bent the nib to a 90 degree angle. That was then end that. Except that I was hooked on fountain pens.

Since then I've developed a modest collection that includes a number of moderately priced modern pens including a Lamy Studio, a Lamy Safari, a Sailor Sapporo, and a Monteverde of some description (not sure the model name). Over the past two weeks I've gone a little nuts on ebay and picked up a total of 7 vintage pens ranging from a pair of NOS Wearevers to a jade Parker Duofold Junior. Still waiting for all of those to arrive.

Earlier this week I made a solemn vow to my wife that I would not be buying any more pens...for the time being. So, my next adventures will have to revolve around ink. I'm hoping to get started with some Waterman basics then hit Noodlers and Private Reserve for some colours other than black, blue, and green.

In any event, I can't tell you how nice it is to see that there are so many others afflicted...er blessed with this same love of the fountain pen. If any of you are from Victoria, I'd love to hear from you.

Eb

Welcome Eb.

Growing old is mandatory, growing up is optional.

Never be afraid to try something new.

Remember, amateurs built the ark.

Professionals built the Titanic.

Not bad. I keep telling my wife too that yes, we can't afford any new pen for me at the moment, but ink somehow gets her okay.

MIke

Life is too short to drink bad wine (Goethe)

Welcome from the province nextdoor. I like you I am still trying to find a way around my domestic finance committee and buy more pens.

Hi Eb! Welcome to FPN!!

PAKMAN

minibanner.gif                                    Vanness-world-final.png.c1b120b90855ce70a8fd70dd342ebc00.png

My Favorite Pen Restorer                                             My Favorite Pen Store

Vanness Pens - Selling Online!

• 2 weeks later...
  • 11 years later...