The Fountain Pen Network uses (functional) cookies. Read the FPN Privacy Policy for more info.  To remove this message, please click here to accept the use of cookies

Photo

Graf von Faber-Castell

• Please log in to reply
52 replies to this topic

#41 PigRatAndGoat

PigRatAndGoat

Unashamed Montblanc Fanboy

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,281 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 07 January 2008 - 23:34

QUOTE(Amberviv @ Jan 7 2008, 08:01 AM) View Post
Thanks Omasfan for the detailed explanation. I am sure it is silver plated now. No matter, I would just have to be careful when polishing it as Wimg has warned.

I also have a Montblanc that's beset by the same problem of oxidisation & that was gold plating. It must be the weather here.

Does anyone have any good Graf "Pen of the year" to recommend? I know it's a personal thing but it will be good to get a general vote.

Thanks & best rgds

Hmmmm, I'm not a big fan of the looks of the 2006. The 2007, however looks gorgeous in shop windows.
Montblanc 145, F nib.
Faber Castell E-Motion in Pearwood, F nib.
Montblanc 149, F nib.
Visconti Divina Proporzione 1618, S nib.
Montblanc Cool Blue Starwalker, EF nib.
Montblanc Solitaire Silver Barley BP

Sponsored Content

#42 Excoriar

Excoriar

Rare

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 137 posts

Posted 08 January 2008 - 01:32

QUOTE(Luca @ Jan 8 2008, 05:22 AM) View Post
> I noticed that the nib and the feed look rather suspiciously similar to the Pelikan 800 nib,
> and have heard that GVFC does use Pelikan nibs in their pens. (Excoriar)

As Pelikan's nibs are made by Bock, it may also be the case that both Pelikan and GVFC have independent design but turn out to have some similarities due to Bock as common manufacturer and consultant.

> The Classic I had a problem with the nib section not wanting to stay tight. (Excoriar)

This is really a bad news. I have to lower the grade for GVFC in my classification of pens.

Luca

I believe the overall quality and fit of the pen is great (Classic), just that the nib section got loose. Took it to the dealer yesterday and they're sending it back to GVFC. No idea how long that will take... I need another pen besides my 149. Perhaps this is a good time to get that Yard O Led I've been trying to get my hands on... puddle.gif

#43 Excoriar

Excoriar

Rare

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 137 posts

Posted 08 January 2008 - 01:36

QUOTE(PigRatAndGoat @ Jan 8 2008, 07:34 AM) View Post
Thanks Omasfan for the detailed explanation. I am sure it is silver plated now. No matter, I would just have to be careful when polishing it as Wimg has warned.

I also have a Montblanc that's beset by the same problem of oxidisation & that was gold plating. It must be the weather here.

Does anyone have any good Graf "Pen of the year" to recommend? I know it's a personal thing but it will be good to get a general vote.

Thanks & best rgds

Hmmmm, I'm not a big fan of the looks of the 2006. The 2007, however looks gorgeous in shop windows.

The 2007 looks even better in your hands... That fossilized wood was so shiny and pretty I almost bought it.... But then, then my demise will come rather quickly after that.. Who knows. The Chinese New Year is coming, and my bonus is coming. I just might be able to squeeze some money out for a 2007.

Edited by Excoriar, 08 January 2008 - 01:39.

#44 PigRatAndGoat

PigRatAndGoat

• Member - Gold

• 2,281 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 08 January 2008 - 11:41

QUOTE(Excoriar @ Jan 7 2008, 08:36 PM) View Post
QUOTE(PigRatAndGoat @ Jan 8 2008, 07:34 AM) View Post

Thanks & best rgds

The 2007 looks even better in your hands... That fossilized wood was so shiny and pretty I almost bought it.... But then, then my demise will come rather quickly after that.. Who knows. The Chinese New Year is coming, and my bonus is coming. I just might be able to squeeze some money out for a 2007.

If you get it, I'll be waiting for a review! thumbup.gif
Montblanc 145, F nib.
Montblanc 149, F nib.

#45 Luca

Luca

Rare

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 162 posts

Posted 08 January 2008 - 14:22

Excoriar, was the nib loose when you first purchased the pen? On a second thought, a loose nib sounds like a broken nib under the section, or a broken feed. Let me know when the pen comes back.

Luca
My Writing Instruments (selection):
Graf von Faber-Castell, Classic, 18k nib in ebony wood dress
Pelikan, M800, 18k nib in black resin/plastic dress
Stipula, Etruria Nera, 18k nib in black celluloid dress
Parker, Jotter, black gel ink refill in stainless steel dress

Classification of Paper, Inks, and Writing Instruments

#46 Excoriar

Excoriar

Rare

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 137 posts

Posted 09 January 2008 - 01:22

QUOTE(Luca @ Jan 8 2008, 10:22 PM) View Post
Excoriar, was the nib loose when you first purchased the pen? On a second thought, a loose nib sounds like a broken nib under the section, or a broken feed. Let me know when the pen comes back.

Luca

The nib section was definantly tight when I first purchased it. It was just a nice slim pen with a slightly stiff nib. Then the nib got broken in a bit and was writing nicely when one day I noticed the pen was writing very wet and there was ink on my hands, and it's been loose since.

To PigRatAndGoat: I'm afraid you may have to wait just a bit longer until after February. I'm waiting for my car to come back from the annual maintenance, and if the bill isn't too big, I'm thinking about that Yard O Led I've had my eyes on for a while now.

#47 Amberviv

Amberviv

Rare

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 197 posts

Posted 11 January 2008 - 12:27

Have just put down my deposit for the GVFC 2007 Pen of the year. Won't take delivery for a while as I need to pick it up in Hongkong but the crime is now committed... I have also managed to find a reason to stick at my job. After all, not only does it pay for my pen addiction, it also earns me a 50% discount on each fix...

The pen does look lovely from the pictures...drool.gif

#48 PigRatAndGoat

PigRatAndGoat

• Member - Gold

• 2,281 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 12 January 2008 - 23:53

QUOTE(Excoriar @ Jan 8 2008, 08:22 PM) View Post
To PigRatAndGoat: I'm afraid you may have to wait just a bit longer until after February. I'm waiting for my car to come back from the annual maintenance, and if the bill isn't too big, I'm thinking about that Yard O Led I've had my eyes on for a while now.

Ah, we're in need of some YOL reviews around here too...
So, any idea when the 2008 POY will get released?
Montblanc 145, F nib.
Montblanc 149, F nib.

#49 Excoriar

Excoriar

Rare

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 137 posts

Posted 13 January 2008 - 02:55

QUOTE(PigRatAndGoat @ Jan 13 2008, 07:53 AM) View Post
QUOTE(Excoriar @ Jan 8 2008, 08:22 PM) View Post

Ah, we're in need of some YOL reviews around here too...
So, any idea when the 2008 POY will get released?

The people at the store I usually buy at tell me in the 2nd half of this year.

#50 Excoriar

Excoriar

Rare

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 137 posts

Posted 13 January 2008 - 02:56

QUOTE(Amberviv @ Jan 11 2008, 08:27 PM) View Post
Have just put down my deposit for the GVFC 2007 Pen of the year. Won't take delivery for a while as I need to pick it up in Hongkong but the crime is now committed... I have also managed to find a reason to stick at my job. After all, not only does it pay for my pen addiction, it also earns me a 50% discount on each fix...

The pen does look lovely from the pictures...drool.gif

Amberviv... do you work at Faber-Castell? 50% off each fix is a great deal!

#51 Amberviv

Amberviv

Rare

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 197 posts

Posted 13 January 2008 - 07:24

No, Excoriar, I don't work at the pen maker itself but we sell the products and it is the company policy to encourage staff's purchases. We do not stock that many Pen of the Year and as I mentioned somewhere before, most of the staff buy ballpoints anyway so that the cost to the company is not that great... Unfortunately, tlast week we sold the 2 last Amber pen (the 2004 PotY) so no more GvFC purchase for me for the time being, even with discount!

#52 Excoriar

Excoriar

Rare

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 137 posts

Posted 14 January 2008 - 08:09

QUOTE(Amberviv @ Jan 13 2008, 03:24 PM) View Post
No, Excoriar, I don't work at the pen maker itself but we sell the products and it is the company policy to encourage staff's purchases. We do not stock that many Pen of the Year and as I mentioned somewhere before, most of the staff buy ballpoints anyway so that the cost to the company is not that great... Unfortunately, tlast week we sold the 2 last Amber pen (the 2004 PotY) so no more GvFC purchase for me for the time being, even with discount!

I guess it's time to "pursuade" your company to stock some 2007 PotY. thumbup.gif

Leo

#53 Excoriar

Excoriar

Rare

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 137 posts

Posted 22 January 2008 - 09:46

in case anyone wants to see a Pen of the Year 2005, there's a seller in Taiwan selling one. The dollar amount works out to be about US$1630.

Pen of the year 2005

Sponsored Content

|