chronoswiss styloscope le

davyr

ok, here goes my first review. please excuse the amateur pics and ugly writing :D

http://img394.imageshack.us/img394/1084/dsc009066hy.jpg

i recently purchased this pen through the green board for about half off. it's limited to 999 pieces, and based on the pelikan m800. chronoswiss is a watch company headed by gerd lang, based in munich. apparently he loved his pelikan demonstrator pen so much, that he commissioned pelikan to produce a special pen for his company's 20th anniversary. the pen's hardware is reminiscent of his watches, which have coin-edged bezels, onion crowns, and classic dials.

http://img394.imageshack.us/img394/6761/dsc009073hw.jpg

the case is leather embossed and a nice dark green color. it holds a small note pad, and includes a tiny corked test tube containing a broad oblique nib (the pen also comes with a medium point). as i already have too many medium points, i quickly exchanged to the oblique broad nib, and inked up with pr dc supershow blue.

http://img147.imageshack.us/img147/8734/dsc009348ix.jpg

since it's based on the pel m800, the balance and weight are nearly identical, which is to say, comfortable. it feels balanced both posted and unposted, and fits comfortably and compactly in my shirt pockets. i have a penchant for larger pens and broader nibs, so this combo fit the bill nicely. the nib is a left foot oblique. i think it's intended for righties, but i found that i could write with it fairly well - i'm a southpaw overwriter. as with my m1000, the ink flow is generous, and the feel of nib to paper smooth. i'm not getting great line variation however, and that may be due to the nib design intended for righties. i still like it, since it's different than a plain jane medium.

http://img147.imageshack.us/img147/4863/dsc009278rx.jpg

the cap unscrews in three-quarters of a turn, and when posted, feels very secure. the nib is two tone 18k, just like pelikan's, and presumably also made by bock. the feed looks to be the same as pelikan's. the pen is a nice translucent medium green, with sterling silver trim. the pen is typical pelikan piston-fill - that is to say - very reliable. it has something called a delta t system, which apparently prevents the pen from leaking during changes of temperature or pressure. since it's a demonstrator pen, obviously the ink level is readily visible, as is the piston-fill mechanism. as with any demonstrator, you can see condensation and ink spots in all their glory on the cap.

http://img147.imageshack.us/img147/4452/dsc009225zb.jpg

overall, i'm very happy with this pen. like most pelikans, it's a bullet proof writer, dependable, and sober. i think it fits in nicely b/t pelikans, which may be a little too conservative, and crazy overwrought limited editions. unfortunately, it has a limited edition price tag, almost a thousand large. not worth it, imho, for that price. like i said, i got it for about half that, but even then, it may still not be worth it for some. it is for me, however, and i think anyone who is a fan of chronoswiss wristwatches or is looking for an unusual pelikan should definately take it for a spin. much better pics can be seen at worldlux (no affiliation, yada yada).

http://img147.imageshack.us/img147/9133/dsc009316ub.jpg

ok, so now time for ratings. why? well, it seems that everyone loves them, despite the fact that they're so personal/subjective, and ultimately meaningless to many. but who cares, it's fun. remember, ymmv.

test results

cap and body (17/20): very good form and trim. very good fit and finish. translucent demonstrator

section (8/10): typical flared pelikan section. some may not like the silver trim near the nib

nib performance (17/20): very smooth oblique medium, good flow, no skipping (didn't review the also provided medium point)

writing comfort (18/20): typical well designed pelikan comfort

design (8/10): trim cleverly mimicks chronoswiss wristwatch elements

value (6/10): $995 retail - ouch. try to get this one used if you can. remember it comes with two nibs, however

filling system (9/10): wonderful pelikan piston fill

total: 83/100 (100 would be the perfect pen, which as you & i know, doesn't exist, unless of course you think so otherwise, but then do tell...)

Edited by davyr

"i love the smell of celluloid nitrate in the morning...you know, the smell, that camphor smell, it smells like...victory."

• Replies 10
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• davyr

• KendallJ

• Roger

• JimStrutton

Thanks for a good review, Davy, on a pen that I know nothing of and I bet I'm not alone. :unsure:

The left footed oblique does give an interesting look to your hand. Just the opposite of what a right hander would get. Still, it's pleasant to look at. :)

If few have been made and sold, it may be a good one to sit on for 20 years, then see what it's bringing in the marketplace.

Roger

Southern Arizona, USA

Fountain Pen Talk Mailing List

Thanks for a good review, Davy, on a pen that I know nothing of and I bet I'm not alone. :unsure:

The left footed oblique does give an interesting look to your hand. Just the opposite of what a right hander would get. Still, it's pleasant to look at. :)

If few have been made and sold, it may be a good one to sit on for 20 years, then see what it's bringing in the marketplace.

That looks like one fine pen!!

And it looks as if it writes as good as it looks too.

Thanks for sharing the pictures and review.

Jim

Obi Won WD40

Re vera, cara mea, mea nil refert!

thanks for the kind words.

The left footed oblique does give an interesting look to your hand. Just the opposite of what a right hander would get. Still, it's pleasant to look at. smile.gif
your pics are quite good.

thanks for the very kind words... ;)

"i love the smell of celluloid nitrate in the morning...you know, the smell, that camphor smell, it smells like...victory."

Wow, what a great first (oops! make that second, but both were posted the same day) review ...and it's a very handsome pen, too!

Looks like it's a nice writer, too.

Thanks for posting this, davyr :)

Edited by Maja

Hi Davy,

Thanks for a great review of a very nice looking pen indeed! And I really like the fact that you added a sample of your writing with that nib, too!

Warmest regards, Wim

Edited by wimg

the Mad Dutchman
laugh a little, love a little, live a lot; laugh a lot, love a lot, live forever

• 2 weeks later...

added test results...ymmv... B)

Edited by davyr

The price is a bit steep but the pen looks absolutely gorgeous!!! If I had the funds, I would rather get this pen than the Pelikan M800 translucent LE pen that came out a while ago. This pen that you bought is very classy!! I Hope you Enjoy it, I know I would!! ;)

TNS

Check Out my Fountain Pen and Ink Review Sites

Fountain Pen Reviews

Ink Reviews

Thanks for an interesting review - nicely done. Missed it the first time around somehow.

I'm a leftie, but closer to an underwriter. A right-footed oblique might give you the normal line variation, but that's just my guess. I've been there with the whole line variation thing - frustrating at times.

Very nice pen. I too had not heard of it. Really sharp - enjoy it!

"But God demonstrates His own love toward us, in that while we were still sinners, Christ died for us." (Rom. 5:8, NKJV)