Waterman Serenite, F nib

cecirdr

Ceci, to get anny accent, you can follow Denis' wise advise, or if you are super lazy like me, you just first do a google search, then copy and paste the properly accented word B)

• Replies 36
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• cecirdr

• Dillo

• Stylo

• Roger

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Ceci, to get anny accent, you can follow Denis' wise advise, or if you are super lazy like me, you just first do a google search, then copy and paste the properly accented word  B)

I tried holding the alt key and using 130...but it didn't do anything but make a thonk sound at me. :bonk: I guess I should just open up another tab with a google search in it from now on so I can copy-paste. Or...I can continue to do what I do presently and just assume everyone "knows what I mean". Ah well.....I"m feeling kinda slow lately and making lots of mistakes too. Something weird must be in the water. But at least I still remember how to tie my shoes! :lol:

Ceci

I am, therefore I think.

Or...I can continue to do what I do presently and just assume everyone "knows what I mean".

Come to think of it, that's what I usually do anway (quel horreur!). I am lazier than I thought :lol:

For accents, I adopted the US international keyboard. Over 60% of my writing is in English. All French and Spanish accented letters are easily available. The only small annoyance is the quotes. This provides me with a faily complete keyboard, with no need to remember letter values. The only missing characters are the opening ? and ! for spanish, which I do without.

Edited by Louis R

Louis

Guest Denis Richard
I tried holding the alt  key and using 130...but it didn't do anything but make a thonk sound at me. :bonk:

Ceci - You must have NumLock active for it to work. Hit your NumLock key one time, then try the Alt 130 again.

Yes, I forgot to precise that the numbers have to be typed on the numeric pad.

For those with Gnome, here is a pic of the little toolbar applet that lets you define any set of special characters. Click on one, and it is stored in the clipboard. Just need to paste where needed.

post-34-1131139333_thumb.png

it has been a long time since I have used a Cambridge pad, but from what I recall, I have not been very fond of them.

I was at Office Depot yesterday and they had quite a few different styles of Mead Cambridge. When you talk about a 'pad' of this paper, can you be a bit more descriptive of what you mean? If you have one handy, please post the model number.

Thanks.

Hi,

Mead Cambridge paper is always very thick and nice to write on. I believe it comes in Ivory and White. I remember seeing the pads, but I don't know what size or paper color will suit your taste.

Dillon

Stolen: Aurora Optima Demonstrator Red ends Medium nib. Serial number 1216 and Aurora 98 Cartridge/Converter Black bark finish (Archivi Storici) with gold cap. Reward if found. Please contact me if you have seen these pens.

Please send vial orders and other messages to fpninkvials funny-round-mark-thing gmail strange-mark-thing com. My shop is open once again if you need help with your pen.

Will someone with the name of "Jay" who emailed me through the email system provide me an email address? There was no email address provided, so I can't write back.

Dillon

Hi,

I felt that I needed to link this all together

Denis Richard's Question

https://www.fountainpennetwork.com/forum/in...p?showtopic=921

Denis Richard's Review

https://www.fountainpennetwork.com/forum/in...?showtopic=2006

Sharyn's Announcement--With Denis' replies

http://www.ramblingsnail.net/forums/index.php?showtopic=1318

Dillon

Stolen: Aurora Optima Demonstrator Red ends Medium nib. Serial number 1216 and Aurora 98 Cartridge/Converter Black bark finish (Archivi Storici) with gold cap. Reward if found. Please contact me if you have seen these pens.

Please send vial orders and other messages to fpninkvials funny-round-mark-thing gmail strange-mark-thing com. My shop is open once again if you need help with your pen.

Will someone with the name of "Jay" who emailed me through the email system provide me an email address? There was no email address provided, so I can't write back.

Dillon

it has been a long time since I have used a Cambridge pad, but from what I recall, I have not been very fond of them.

I was at Office Depot yesterday and they had quite a few different styles of Mead Cambridge. When you talk about a 'pad' of this paper, can you be a bit more descriptive of what you mean? If you have one handy, please post the model number.

Thanks.

Actually the word pad was a bit of a generic one. In our local staples store, they have a mead cambridge "system" if you will. There's an executive cover that accepts spiral refills of the cambridge paper. I'm still twirling around with the idea of what to get for my next journal and was contemplating using this instead of a leather bound (much more expensive) one. Another cambridge notebook I'm using as a generic smaller one called cambridge city. I'm using it for general jotting down of notes and to do's throughout the day. I'll take some pix later to clarify.

From what I can tell though....if it's mead paper with the cambride label on it, it'll take FP ink well. So buy whatever form factor suits. As far as the composition pads that mead makes (the stapled pads); they don't say cambridge, but the paper *feels* similar. It would probably be worth the experiement since the cambridge papers work well.

Hope this helped,

Ceci

I am, therefore I think.

Yes, I forgot to precise that the numbers have to be typed on the numeric pad.

Ahhh, that's what's up. I'm using a laptop...no numeric keypad. :doh:

Ceci

I am, therefore I think.

Hi Ceci,

Looks like I missed your written review earlier... Thanks for sharing that with us. I do like the pictures with pen in hand as well. It provides a nice reference for the size in my opinion, and the blurry background doesn't detract. Very nice.

Regarding the paper: I found that some papers make the lines come out much fatter/wetter than other papers. At work I normally use fountain pen friendly paper, and this presents the line width in its true size, IMO at least :D, but occasionally, the stationery cabinet runs out (they stock it on my request :lol:). In that case I have to use "premium grade quality" notepads, and as far paper quality goes, that is true. Very smooth, for fountain pens as well, but somehow it makes the line width almost twice as wide... As a result I am not too fond of it. Is this maybe the case with this paper? I am wondering, because I did write a few times with a Sérénité in the past, with F nibs, and they didn't look like mediums to me, like your sample does. Have you tried different paper? If so, what were the results with that/those?

Warm regards, Wim

the Mad Dutchman
laugh a little, love a little, live a lot; laugh a lot, love a lot, live forever

Wim,

I think my problem with the line width might have had something to do with the ink. For some reason my serenite wants to bleed out noodler's black when I cap the pen. So much has come out that when I've pulled off the cap, the entire top surface of the nib is covered and there's even been ink in the cap a few times. At first I attributed this to some extreme barometric changes that were happening yesterday due to a storm with 70mph winds in it. But I changed the ink out...it did it again. I put in PR fiesta red...the ink still came out the sides of the feed and bled onto the top of the nib. It wasn't as bad as the noodler's, but it was still too much. Oddly enough...my first fill with noodler's black leaked out onto the nib top, but after a day or so, it stopped leaking...then it started to get dry writing! That's why I changed the ink the first time...*and* what made me think that the pen was flowing weird due to barometric pressure probs. Since the pen was bleeding out ink...just sitting, there's no doubt that it was writing WAY too wet.

Anyway, I gave up and pulled out one of the waterman ink carts that came with the pen. So far it's performing well. It does have a few drops of ink on the top of the nib, but nothing like the other inks displayed.

So for some reason, my primary inks (noodlers and PR) seem to run out of this pen like it's a sieve. I plan to try some of the other ink colors I have when I finish this waterman cart. (I have noodlers gulfstream, verdun, deviled red, and PR dcshow blue, sherwood, and fiesta) I hope to be able to find some ink that's not so wet of a flow with this pen.

I'll include a writing sample later today with the florida blue in the serenite versus the noodler's black in my other pens. I have an xf dani and an xxf flex plus an italic you can compare it to. If you can, please let me know if it appears to be making too fat a line.

Thanks,

Ceci

I am, therefore I think.

Ok...here's the writing sample of the serenite with florida blue ink compared to a danitrio XF, a pelikan m200 with a 0.7mm italic and an xf flex nib both by Richard Binder. FWIW, I call the xf flex an XXF. You'll be able to tell why from the sample. FWIW, the flex strokes aren't the best, I made them to fit *inside* the lines of a college ruled paper so you could see how fine the XF flex writes.

BTW...the papers are both mead cambridge business notebooks. The first is in "ivory" (just looks unbleached to me) while the second is their "limited" cambrige notebook.

Both photos show how horrible my little pocket camera is. Sorry 'bout that. My scanner is no longer being recognized by my XP laptop...yeah...I've uninstalled and reinstalled, cleaned the registry...etc. I give up. Anyway...the pix. Hope this clears things up.

http://ceciland.smugmug.com/photos/43339921-M.jpg

http://ceciland.smugmug.com/photos/43339925-M.jpg

Ceci

I am, therefore I think.

Could something be wrong with the converter?

It would be interesting to try putting Noodler's Black (or something similar) into an empty Waterman cartridge and see how it performs.

Just a thought... and most of my thoughts aren't very good ones...

Bill

Could something be wrong with the converter? 

It would be interesting to try putting Noodler's Black (or something similar) into an empty Waterman cartridge and see how it performs.

Just a thought... and most of my thoughts aren't very good ones... 

Bill

I don't know what it could have been either. It's writing extrememly well and consistently over the past day and a half with the cartridge. I'm really surprised at how much I'm liking "basic" florida blue.

Here on the coast of Oregon, we can get storm front after storm front coming ashore...sometimes with only a few hours between them. That means you can literally watch a barometer change right in front of your eyes. I don't know if there's any connection...and I did change over to the waterman cart before the storms were completely through the area.

Ah well, it's a mystery. The only noodler's ink I tried was the black. I'll try another one when the cartridge is done. Despite all this I'm really enjoying this pen. I *love* the way it feels when I write. It arcs like a quill and it looks like some classical writing instrument.

I am, therefore I think.