Waterman Serenite, F nib

cecirdr

There has been a fairly recent review of the Serenite that was very well done. So I don't plan to try to duplicate what was already said....and the pictures in the previous review were stellar. What I do want to do is give anyone who's interested in this pen something to go one about how it writes and what it's like to hold. Please pardon any misspellings, punctuation errors, and scratch outs in my sample. :blush:

http://ceciland.smugmug.com/photos/42767122-L-1.jpg

What you can't tell in the sample is that I find the pen to be well balanced. Normally, I don't' post the cap on my pens, but I feel confident to do that with the serenite. It doesn't make it too top heavy, plus it snaps onto a recessed spot on the top of the pen so I don't worry about scratches.

The pen is a statement in style. I find it's simplicity to be classy. The nib is rather spartan and squat...in keeping with the style theme. It looks perfectly like something one would tie onto the end of a stick....in keeping with the arrow/spear theme it appears the pen is trying to emulate. How in the world they came up with the name serenite when the pen is supposed to emulate a stylized arrow....I don't know. Seems ironic to me.

The pen is smaller in diameter than my danitrio tamenuri, but the decorative grip section is flared out where you actually hold the pen. Therefore, I find the serenite to be the same gripping diameter as the tamenuri (non-ED sized pen) and you can probably see the same thing in these two rather blase pictures. The stylized finger grip allows for a nice touch when unscrewing the main section for refilling the converter or popping in another cart. I don't know how to describe it, but the mechanism is a nice touch. Anyway...here's the size pix.

Here's the serenite

http://ceciland.smugmug.com/photos/42767116-M.jpg

And here's the Dani-trio tamenuri

http://ceciland.smugmug.com/photos/42767104-M.jpg

I'm very happy with this purchase and intend to use this in my daily cycle of pens. I liked the concept of a stylized pen, plus I heard that they planned to drop the black version from production. The new blue serenite just didn't appeal to me the same way, so I figured I'd better pony up and get a black one while I could.

BTW...in my pix, you can see (blurry) our campground here on the Oregon coast. A storm is set to come in tonight....50-60mph winds. Right now, all is quiet. But I'm set. The slides are in on the rig and we're ready for the blowin. I've got popcorn. Bring it on!

Ceci

Edited by MYU

I am, therefore I think.

• Replies 36
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• cecirdr

• Dillo

• Stylo

• Roger

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Thanks for the review. Just a note about the paper though: it has been a long time since I have used a Cambridge pad, but from what I recall, I have not been very fond of them. For Staples style office supply store paper, you may be happier with Ampad Gold Fibre pads.

Edited by Stylo

Thanks for the review.  Just a note about the paper though: it has been a long time since I have used a Cambridge pad, but from what I recall, I have not been very fond of them.  For Staples style office supply stores paper, you may be happier with Ampad Gold Fibre pads.

I don't know if they changed their paper process. ??? But I was shocked at how good the cambridge paper is working for me. The back of the paper my writing sample is on is totally white...no bleed through at all....not even at the scratch out. This serenite writes WET too. I also never have a feathering issue with the mead cambridge paper. I even use an italic nib on occasion...still no feathering.

I'm still "testing" though. Right now my only cambridge notebook is a small one for miscellaneous jottings....not for journaling. I am seriously considering it for my next journal when I finish the one I'm writing in now.

Ceci

I am, therefore I think.

Great job, Ceci!

Boy, there's a wet feed and beautifully consistent writing that TNS could get his teeth into. :P

I, too, had no idea that the Cambridge pads were so good with ink. Have to check them out next time I make the 25 mile trek to Tucson. :)

Keep on enjoying. :D

Roger

Southern Arizona, USA

Fountain Pen Talk Mailing List

Thanks for the review. Always good to get multiple views on pens. It's certainly unique. Enjoy!!!

"But God demonstrates His own love toward us, in that while we were still sinners, Christ died for us." (Rom. 5:8, NKJV)

Forgot to mention that, as I was reading various posts, I was writing some study notes for an exam with a fairly wet writing medium nibbed Aurora Ipsilon filled with Noodlers Black on . . . . you guessed it, a Cambridge Limited pad from Staples. Works great and, as Ceci said, no bleed through on mine. I have two - one in 11.5" x 8.5" and one 9" x 6", both reporter style (easier for us lefties - the binding on regular spiral notebooks gets in the way too much).

"But God demonstrates His own love toward us, in that while we were still sinners, Christ died for us." (Rom. 5:8, NKJV)

Hi,

Now that is one nice pen!! Not one pen I could use though because of its girth. :(

Dillon

Stolen: Aurora Optima Demonstrator Red ends Medium nib. Serial number 1216 and Aurora 98 Cartridge/Converter Black bark finish (Archivi Storici) with gold cap. Reward if found. Please contact me if you have seen these pens.

Please send vial orders and other messages to fpninkvials funny-round-mark-thing gmail strange-mark-thing com. My shop is open once again if you need help with your pen.

Will someone with the name of "Jay" who emailed me through the email system provide me an email address? There was no email address provided, so I can't write back.

Dillon

Pam Braun is a wonderful business person. I've bought many pens from her. I don't mean to slight other pen sellers in any way, but when you cited your source, I just felt compelled to toss that in.

Nice review Ceci. Glad to see a new Sérénité convert :D

Ok...I'm slow...how do you get the accent marks over the es in serenite?

Thanks.....BTW....it's your "fault" I have my new pen. Your review of it and the accompanying pictures pushed me over the edge. :lol:

Ceci

I am, therefore I think.

Hi,

Now that is one nice pen!! Not one pen I could use though because of its girth. :(

Dillon

I admit...I just took a chance when I bought my tamenuri from Kevin. Due to the light weight, it's no problem to write with...the serenite is the same in that regard. The danitrio pens are so hot (as in popular) right now, there should be little risk in buying one if you wanted to. Just sell it if it doens't work out.

FWIW...I do find my serenity nib a tad bit smoother than my tamenuri's. But smoothness is an easy touch up....well at least for you it would be. On the other hand, the tamenuri is flexy feeling...nice feedback as you write.

Ceci

Edited by cecirdr

I am, therefore I think.

Hi,

My maximum size of grip is that of the Pelikan M200. It is impossible for me to use anything bigger. I already gave my Phileas to Slush and traded my Stypen with Gerry. I would have to hold the nib if I were to use those pens. Weight is not really a problem since I use pens that are 0.7 OZ (As measured in the post office). I just run out of control on fatter pens.

That Serenite looks nice. Is the nib gold and the feed ebonite?

Dillon

Stolen: Aurora Optima Demonstrator Red ends Medium nib. Serial number 1216 and Aurora 98 Cartridge/Converter Black bark finish (Archivi Storici) with gold cap. Reward if found. Please contact me if you have seen these pens.

Please send vial orders and other messages to fpninkvials funny-round-mark-thing gmail strange-mark-thing com. My shop is open once again if you need help with your pen.

Will someone with the name of "Jay" who emailed me through the email system provide me an email address? There was no email address provided, so I can't write back.

Dillon

Hi,

My maximum size of grip is that of the Pelikan M200. It is impossible for me to use anything bigger. I would have to hold the nib if I were to use those pens. Weight is not really a problem since I use pens that are 0.7 OZ (As measured in the post office). I just run out of control on fatter pens.

Dillon

Yeah...18K gold nib (but plated with that silver stuff...what is it...rhodium?) and ebonite feed... Too bad about the grip diameter. I have several M200s and the grip is definitely larger than them.

Ceci

I am, therefore I think.

Hi,

My maximum size of grip is that of the Pelikan M200. It is impossible for me to use anything bigger. I already gave my Phileas to Slush and traded my Stypen with Gerry. I would have to hold the nib if I were to use those pens. Weight is not really a problem since I use pens that are 0.7 OZ (As measured in the post office). I just run out of control on fatter pens.

Dillon

I love :wub: fat pens. Bic stic hurts! :angry:

Humankind cannot gain anything without first giving something in return. To obtain, something of equal value must be lost.

Begun, the Spam Wars Have.

How to Be a Perfect Lady: according to the media - a satire

The Adventures of Chewie

Guest Denis Richard
Nice review Ceci. Glad to see a new Sérénité convert :D

Ok...I'm slow...how do you get the accent marks over the es in serenite?

Thanks.....BTW....it's your "fault" I have my new pen. Your review of it and the accompanying pictures pushed me over the edge. :lol:

Ceci

Hi Ceci,

I decline any financial liability :D

To get the é, I have a little toolbar under Linux Fedora with a customized list of special characters. I have sometimes copied and pasted from web pages also. But under windows, you can use the ASCII codes (<Alt> + code, keep <Alt> pressed, and the code for the é is 130).

Hi,

My maximum size of grip is that of the Pelikan M200. It is impossible for me to use anything bigger. I would have to hold the nib if I were to use those pens. Weight is not really a problem since I use pens that are 0.7 OZ (As measured in the post office). I just run out of control on fatter pens.

Dillon

Yeah...18K gold nib (but plated with that silver stuff...what is it...rhodium?) and ebonite feed... Too bad about the grip diameter. I have several M200s and the grip is definitely larger than them.

Ceci

I'm curious about the ebonite feed does it look to be hand carved or injection molded? I ask this because all of my Waterman's look to have molded feeds.

Kurt H

Edited by Tytyvyllus

Hi,

Ebonite feeds will look like they were cut or milled to shape.

Dillon

Dillon

Hi,

Dillon

That's what I implied as you can't injection mold ebonite but it must be machined.

Kurt H

Hi,

Dillon

That's what I implied as you can't injection mold ebonite but it must be machined.

Kurt H

Interesting....it may be my being new to pendom. But to me the feed from my serenite looks like a block that got carved. Then again...it may just be how I "see things" and not reality at all. I tend to view most all objects as sculpted. I just can't wrap my head around molded/poured. Denis may have to chime in an correct me. So...sorry that I can't answer the question accurately. I'll await further clarification. :blush:

<edit>

I stand corrected. I dried my feed off and noticed a F on the underside. (it was too wet to see it earlier) I seriously doubt a carved/milled block of ebonite would sport this "feature"

live and learn

Ceci

Edited by cecirdr

I am, therefore I think.