Here's an extremely cheap italic FP to give to a curious beginner.

Jeff Muscato

My advice would be don't go cheap when acquiring a calligraphy set. The pleasure of writing can be seriously damaged by a scratching nib. At least this is my impression when using my Vector 1.1 (though I know the quality on parker low end nib may vary).

I got a nice Lamy Joy set (1.1 & 1.5) at Selfridges this summer for about 28£. Both nibs write that smooth that I often use them at work to take notes.

The set looks like this:

http://www.artbrown.com/Lamy-Joy-Calligrap...-P9338C481.aspx

Happy New Year!

<font face="Verdana"><b><font color="#2f4f4f">d</font></b><font color="#4b0082">iplo</font></font><br /><br /><a href='http://www.fountainpennetwork.com/forum/index.php?showuser=6228' class='bbc_url' title=''><font face="Trebuchet MS"><br /><font size="4"><b><font color="#8b0000"><font color="#696969">Go</font> <font color="#006400">To</font> <font color="#a0522d">My</font> <font color="#4b0082">FPN</font> Profile!</font></b></font></font><br /></a>

• Replies 24
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Jeff Muscato

• FrankB

• Lozzic

• Banana

I am a retired art teacher who regularly got tapped to do certificates for athletes, thespians, academic achievers, etc. and for late graduates and for replacement diplomas. Of the pens you can get on the market today, I much prefer the Rotirng Art Pen. Sheaffer has a shadow nib that is difficult to use and needs to be special ordered and I only use it if I have to. Otherwise Sheaffer, Osmiroid, Plantaget (sp?) and the set you show are all not worth the money.

after reading the other posts, I did not know that Rotring isn't being made any more. Pelikan pens-of which I have the older ones- are far and away better than the others I have mentioned, including Rotring.

Edited by CaseyK

Thank you for the additional replies but, again, I have a Pelikan with a calligraphic nib (from John Mottishaw) which I love and use daily. I'm looking for a cheap, giveaway pen for people who say, "Oooh, calligraphy--may I try?" The felt pen might be a solution. If the recipient likes it, I can give him or her the felt pen with which to practice italic writing and then we can revisit the FP aspect another time.

Edited by Jeff Muscato

• 4 years later...

I mentioned my search to my mom (who has been into calligraphy for decades) and she suggested something I'd completely overlooked: a felt-tip italic pen. Though not at all an example of the fountain-pen experience, it might be a great way to let someone try italic writing for the first time.

<a href="http://www.misterart.com/g955/Marvy-6000-Calligraphy-Pens.htm" target="_blank">$2 italic felt pens</a>

Reviving an old post, but this is what I gift. If people are interested, they can learn the ropes and move up from there, but they are much easier to the learn form with than dealing with cleaning pens, etc. There are even some good scroll markers which usually enamor new users. (Now, back to finding a better everyday italic pen. My favorite to date is a Parker, but it's a bit stiff for me. My hand tires after fast writing with it).

One other option to throw into the mix:

Online (a German brand, I think) makes some calligraphy sets--each comes with a pen and three nibs.

I've not bought one of these sets but I do have a couple of inexpensive Online pens that are excellent writers for the price.

A number of internet shops carry the sets, but isellpens currently has some on sale for $20.

[No connex, etc, etc.]