Best Pen for a Lawyer?

PamHB

Lots of great advice, and thanks for the thoughtful responses :thumbup:

I would agree that an extra fine nib is likely to slow down the note-taking -- speed is critical during a trial. I also like the idea of having two pens at trial in different widths, so as to give the hand a rest by changing the grip slightly, and to be able to change off if one runs dry.

I would also agree that a more subtle pen is appropriate for trial. There is a psychology to trial work, particularly if there is a jury involved.

I hadn't even thought of the paper, but that is a good point. The paper is as critical to fast note-taking as is the pen. Any thoughts on fast-writing inks?

You only live once, but if you do it right, once is enough. (Mae West)

• Replies 95
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• PamHB

• KClaw

• Romeo Dog

• goodguy

Are you sure he WANTS a fp for use in court? The ink capacity issue may just be an excuse.

I, too, am a lawyer who uses fountain pens. But I don't use them in pressure situations -- not only do they distract from the work at hand, but the work at hand distracts from the enjoyment of the fountain pen. I can't imagine using a fountain pen in court unless I was there for jury duty and wanted to play around to kill time. Let's be realistic [and we lawyers are nothing if not realistic!] -- given the fact that you've got to have a certain pen, special paper, and particular ink -- it's all just too much when your mind should be on your work!

Also, the choice of a fine pen is very personal -- perhaps a gift certificate would be better so he could make his own unfettered choice. If you do buy one, buy it from a place that has a liberal return policy.

HP

The sky IS falling. C. Little

Do any ink companies do a 'truth' ink..... sorry it just sort of slipped out that

A wise man once said    " the best revenge is wealth "   but a wiser man answered back    " the best revenge is happiness "

The true definition of madness - Doing the same thing everyday and expecting different results......

oh no.............please dont say he driives an ALFA :roflmho:

A wise man once said    " the best revenge is wealth "   but a wiser man answered back    " the best revenge is happiness "

The true definition of madness - Doing the same thing everyday and expecting different results......

A pen for a lawyer?

No, not much of a trade if you ask me...

Apologies to any Hennypenny who I have traded with and who is excellent in all respects!

It is a truth universally acknowledged, that a single man in possession of a good fortune, must be in want of nothing at all...

Oh I dunno. It's pretty even. We both suck, burp, and spew ink at times. We both can be scratchy, skip at times and can be hard starters when it comes to research memorandae..

I always use a FP in court. It keeps my hand from cramping up. Ball points or even gels are a bear to write with all day.

And imagine the "good ol' days" when the work was done with Quills and dip pens. I can't imagine taking a transcription or notes with one of those.

G*ddamn an eyewitness anyway. He always spoils a good story

-Col. Crisp-Jackson County, Mo, 1900

Another problem we have is that in election years we behave somewhat as primitive peoples do at the time of the full moon.

- Harry S Truman

When the world is running down

You make the best of what's still around.

-The Police

OK you guys, enough with the lawyer jokes! He's an ordinary guy, drives a Ford Escape, likes to watch hockey and football, is still a farm boy at heart, and can whip your ass in court! :bunny01:

You only live once, but if you do it right, once is enough. (Mae West)

Why not a Namiki Vanishing Point? He can carry two of them and if he uses fine points the cartridges last longer. How about two just in case of ink runing out. They don't cost much, are very useful in getting to the point of writing quickly, and are very reliable.

I think the Pilot VP is out of the question because ink capacity is an important issure.

I had a Pilot VP and the one thing that drove me nuts was its tinsy winsy ink volume it had.I dont use much ink at work.I would say a regular Parker converter is good for me for few weeks but I had to fill the VP every two days.If I was a lawyer in a trial the last thing I would want is to get stuck with a pen with no ink.A lwayer need to be focus doing his job and not switching pens or cartriges.

Respect to all

We joke a lot about lawyers here and elsewhere.... all in good fun, I hope!

However, let me put in a good word for lawyers. I deal with lawyers almost daily in my professional life (government regulatory lawyers, government contracts lawyers). I've dealt with lawyers in my private life (divorce lawyers, real estate lawyers). I've dealt with lawyers in my extra-curricular life (landlord-tenant lawyers, nonprofit lawyers). And I've had many friends who are lawyers (environmental lawyers, pension fund lawyers, health care lawyers, housing lawyers, class action tort laywers, administrative law judges). I usually abhor generalization, but I can honestly say that the lawyers I have known have been hard-working, dedicated, HONEST, and extremely admirable individuals. So here's a New Years toast to the many fine lawyers in this country, and especially to those who are members of the Fountain Pen Network.

For what it is worth, I am NOT a lawyer, nor do I wish I were one.... just a satisfied customer!

CharlieB

"The moment he opened the refrigerator, he saw it. Caponata! Fragrant, colorful, abundant, it filled an entire soup dish, enough for at least four people.... The notes of the triumphal march of Aida came spontaneously, naturally, to his lips." -- Andrea Camilleri, Excursion to Tindari, p. 212

OK you guys, enough with the lawyer jokes! He's an ordinary guy, drives a Ford Escape, likes to watch hockey and football, is still a farm boy at heart, and can whip your ass in court! :bunny01:

Soz, couldn't help myself.

Defence rests M'Lud.

It is a truth universally acknowledged, that a single man in possession of a good fortune, must be in want of nothing at all...

You guys crack me up. No offense taken. It comes with the territory. When I passed the bar and went to reserve status in EMS and Fire Service, my Dad remarked that I was "graduating from Ambulance Driver to Ambulance Chaser!"

And here's to all of us FP users! May 2008 bring you health and happiness. And may you all find that one elusive treasure that you searched for through 2007.

Another problem we have is that in election years we behave somewhat as primitive peoples do at the time of the full moon.

- Harry S Truman

-The Police

You guys crack me up. No offense taken. It comes with the territory. When I passed the bar and went to reserve status in EMS and Fire Service, my Dad remarked that I was "graduating from Ambulance Driver to Ambulance Chaser!"

And here's to all of us FP users! May 2008 bring you health and happiness. And may you all find that one elusive treasure that you searched for through 2007.

Given the number of lawyers I know who are drinkers (even though I'm not personally much of one), my favorite joke is that the test is the last bar most lawyers ever pass.

<a href="Http://inkynibbles.com">Inky NIBbles, the ravings of a pen and ink addict.</a>

Hahaha!!! Touche !!

HP

A pen for a lawyer?

No, not much of a trade if you ask me...

Apologies to any Hennypenny who I have traded with and who is excellent in all respects!

The sky IS falling. C. Little

...And may you all find that one elusive treasure that you searched for through 2007.

Here's hoping it's not the blank 2007 diary I lost about this time last year.

I agree that a Montblanc would not be a very helpful pen for your husband to use in court. Not only would it generate a degree of resentment from blue collar folks in the jury or elsewhere in the room, it would also generate a degree of lost respect from folks who have money and know that MB pens are something most often associated with people who are new to money and are trying to buy respect with overpriced tokens. When most poor people win the lottery they do not become a wealthy persons - they are poor persons who happen to have a lot of money.

Buy him a couple of nice vintage pens - like some nice Parkers or Sheaffers so that when one runs dry he can just reach in his pocket and pull out another one.

And avoid buying him an oversized pen. Those are things that go with people who wear oversized glasses and wrist watches. They do not look classy.

I just skipped to the end because it was easier-if he wants a slim pen but still wants ink capacity then a piston filler may be you best option rather than a converter.

Now I sit opposite you husband in court, if he was in New Zealand of course, or if I was on a sabbatical... you need a pen that is going to write all day, because while I can adjourn for a pen, he can't (some things are just not fair), I suggest either a Lamy 2000 (I use this in court regularly) or a parker 51 (also used in court).

The parker will need to be restored, or purchased from a reputable restorer, the lamy will need to be a EF nib other wise it will be too wide (the nibs always run very wide on this model).

Either pen will fold a ton of ink, are similar in size, have gold nibs, and are about the same price, they are also solid performers, and are understated as opposed to a MB 149-this is a chambers signature pen, not a workhorse court pen.

Good luck, what ever you choose I am sure he will love it-remember to buy him a bottle on ink to go with it!

Lamy 2000-Lamy Vista-Visconti Van Gogh Maxi Tortoise Demonstrator-Pilot Vanishing Point Black Carbonesque-1947 Parker 51 Vacumatic Cedar Blue Double Jewel-Aurora Optima Black Chrome Cursive Italic-Waterman Hemisphere Metallic Blue-Sheaffer Targa-Conway Stewart CS475

No blue collar, wage-earning, typical juror would know a Mont Blanc from a stick of licorice. That said, in a jury trial I would never use anything but a mass-produced rollerball. The last thing you would want to do is distract with your writing instrument or take any risk that your client's interests could be compromised by your appearing unduly flashy or ostentatious. In the trials I do, I am a working man doing his job with no time for fooforaw. In the same vein, in a five day trial, I would never wear more than two suits, usually with the same pair of shoes each day.

When I meet with a client, they are rarely in a good place. They have been sued and their financial security or business is at risk, have been grievously injured/wronged, or are otherwise at wit's end. The last thing they want to see is you play with some fountain pen. I will use a black Parker Super 21 to take notes at an initial meeting but that's about it. I do use several different fountain pens to take notes when I am working in my office or when I am in court without a jury or in a deposition. In those circumstances I can indulge.

To get to the point of the original poster, the best fountain pen for a trial lawyer, if a fountain pen must be used, is a Pilot Varsity, perhaps a half-dozen scattered about the table and in the brief bag--obviously cheap, mass-produced and nice reliable writers.

The last thing you would want to do is distract with your writing instrument or take any risk that your client's interests could be compromised by your appearing unduly flashy or ostentatious.

Which is the beauty of a low key, totally reliable, high quality "51". It's not a distraction because it does its job without fuss or muss. Just writes smoothly and reliably when I need it to.

- Harry S Truman

-The Police

I use my VP with a fine pt. nib in trial and depositions and have never had a problem with the ink supply. I fill the converter each day and keep a couple of rolling ball pens and cartridges as backup, but I've never had a problem. I find clicking the pen to be handier/faster than unscrewing a cap when I need to jot down a note quickly.

• To be is to do - Aristotle
  • To do is to be - Nietzsche
  • Do be do be do - Sinatra