Best Pen for a Lawyer?

PamHB

I would like to get my husband a new pen for his birthday. He's a lawyer, and while having written with a fountain pen for many years, does not use them in court because the ones he has don't have sufficient ink capacity to last through an entire day of writing (no one stops a trial so that you can fill your pen!). Any suggestions? He tends towards the slimmer rather than fatter pens.

You only live once, but if you do it right, once is enough. (Mae West)

• Replies 95
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• PamHB

• KClaw

• Romeo Dog

• goodguy

You need a piston-filled pen due to its greater ink capacity, something like a Pelikan 600 or 800; or an eyedropper-filled like a DaniTrio.

Thinner pens tend to be cartridge/converter filled, if he can carry and switch a cartridge when empty he should be fine.

As long as he tops off his pens nightly, I doubt he would be able to run out of ink. -My 2 cents.

Pedro

Looking for interesting Sheaffer OS Balance pens

mmmmmmmmmmm a pen for a lawyer eh?? Well I think it all depends on whether he is defending me or on the other side.

Got a few funny answers up my sleeve but will resist them for now :ltcapd:

A wise man once said    " the best revenge is wealth "   but a wiser man answered back    " the best revenge is happiness "

The true definition of madness - Doing the same thing everyday and expecting different results......

I would think a Pelikan would be a solid choice. I have a smaller Pelikan and it holds a lot of ink. Perhaps if you got him a pen case that held another pen or two he could just swap pens when one ran out of ink. Not being a lawyer, I am not sure that this last bit is piratical or not.

You might want to consider a Lamy 2000. It has a very understated appearance (black matte finish) and it is a piston filler, so it holds a fair quantity of ink. The nibs tend to run wide, so I recommend an extra fine or fine nib.

Change is inevitable, except from vending machines.

mmmmmmmmmmm a pen for a lawyer eh?? Well I think it all depends on whether he is defending me or on the other side.

Not to worry, Pen Nut -- he handles mainly inquests now....

You only live once, but if you do it right, once is enough. (Mae West)

I'd have to agree with others: either Pelikan 600 or 800 models or a Danitrio Raw Ebonite -- all hold large quantities of ink. Plus, the Pelikan models come in very conservative colors (Danitrio Ebonite is black). I do a fair amount of writing each day at the office: my 600 and Danitrio require a fill-up after the second day. Just for comparison, when using cartridges -- as many as two in a course of a day and refilling converters sometimes by noon.

I also believe you can find reviews on all models within this 'site.

Nice gift!

My best,

Paul

A dreamer is one who can only find his way by moonlight, and his punishment is that he sees the dawn before the rest of the world.

~ Oscar Wilde, 1888

http://img356.imageshack.us/img356/7260/postminipo0.pnghttp://img356.imageshack.us/img356/8703/letterminizk9.png

Any cartridge pen will hold sufficient ink for a day or two of constant writing, and then you just slip in a new ink cartridge. Pistons are good too, although you need to fill out of a bottle. Using a syringe or similar device, your husband could fill his cartridges with the bottled ink of his choice. My personal choice of a cartridge pen would be a Bexley. A piston: Pelikan.

On the internet, nobody knows you're a dog.

Pam,

Just as important as the pen is the nib you choose. If he's taking notes, you will get much more mileage out of a fine nib than you will a med or broad or stub nib. An XF will go even farther. If he like slender pens, you might want to go down to a Pelikan Sovereign 400. With a fine or xf nib he'll get about 6-8 pages out of one fill easily. With a med nib about 4-5 pages. A stub nib would only yield about 2-3 pages. A Pelikan 600 or 800 with the F or XF nib will get him about 10-12 pages. If he wants to pen for signatures, he needs a nice stub nib to give character to his signature. I always carry 2 pens, one for notes and one for signatures. The Mont Blanc 149 is a very fat pen. It would look good in his pocket, but he might not like writing with it. Good luck. I know that every pen my wife has given me has been special to my heart and I enjoy using them just because she gave them to me. Every time I take one out of my pocket I am reminded of her warmth and love. I'm sure your husband will feel the same.

Best regards,

Jerry

Beware of a Pelikan EF nib unless it is first adjusted. For more input consult Richard Binder's website. Speaking as an old legal hack myself, nib size depends upon style of writing preference. Personally, I'm working on Round Hand in my spare time. Then I intend upon practicing English Secretary Hand--a good way to disguise journal entries.

On the internet, nobody knows you're a dog.

A lawyer needs a Montblanc 149. No question.

I'm glad you said it or else I would be the one that would have to sugest it.

I see 3 pens your husband could use in this order.

1.Mont Blanc 149-this pen is a bit of a show off I admit that but it is a very conservative pen with black body,black cap and gold trim.It is a BIG pen and holds a ton of ink and with a F nib you can write with it for days on end.Yes a lawyer should have a Mont Blanck 149 pens it simply comes with the teretory.

2.If the Mont Blanc 149 isnt your husbands taste the Pelikan M1000 is another BIG pen with a big ink copacity.Both the Pelikan M1000 and the Mont Blanc 149 are German pens with piston fillers but their design is very different.Knowing Pelikan well I can say that they areexcellent pens even though as I said in this case the 149 is more sutable for your husband.

3.The third choice is very different,its the Delta Dolce Vita Oversize.Its a big pen that can work either as a cartrige/converter pen or as an eye dropper.As an eye dropper this pen holds a HUGE ammount of ink.With a F nib this pen will be a pure ink tanker.But its a bit of a flashy pen with its red body and black cap.

Respect to all

Since most people don't consider lawyers "quality people" than would rule out Montblanc. :ltcapd:

I use a fountain pen because one ought, every day at least, to hear a little song, read a good poem, see a fine picture, and, if it were possible, to write a few reasonable words with a fountain pen.

Pen for a lawyer, eh? Well, if he is a good labor attorney working for my Union, and FP capacity is an issue, I'd say get him two or three of his favorites and then the does not have to worry about running out of ink. If he is working for the Company, get him any pen that will take nitroglycerin and a remote actuated blasting cap . . .

"Political Correctness is a doctrine, fostered by a delusional and illogical minority, and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a turd by the clean end"

Hi,

How about a Pelikan Level 5, discontinued but still available often at a good price and hold more ink than most people are likely to use in a day.

Andy