The Fountain Pen Network uses (functional) cookies. Read the Privacy Policy for more info.  To remove this message, please click here to accept the use of cookies

Photo

Noodler’s Apache Sunset

• Please log in to reply
21 replies to this topic

#1 alexanderino

alexanderino

Extremely Rare

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 231 posts

Posted 29 December 2007 - 13:11

Australia has been experiencing a drought of select Noodler’s inks, Apache Sunset included. Eight torturous months passed before I laid hands on my own bottle. Was the wait worth it? Of course! What a gorgeous ink it is wub.gif

Its behavioural characteristics are enchanting. As one writes, a miniscule comet’s tail of ink chases the nib and forms a pool where the pen is lifted off the paper; thus, printing each letter from top to bottom gives a delicious ‘sunset’ gradient (as befits its name). A wet flow and not-too-absorbent paper are ideal for maximum shading contrast; surprisingly, wider nibs may not be the best choice for this purpose.

My Pilot Elite [EF nib] and Lamy Safari [1.1 mm italic nib] are currently filled up with this delicious ink. The Elite does it greater justice with its ultra-thin line and generous flow, delivering a more contrasty ‘sunset’ that never fails to elicit comments from onlookers [yes, this ink has a growing fan club wink.gif ].

Attached is a photo of a carelessly written sample written with the Safari on a Cartier test pad. As you can see, the rapidly scribbled cursive has less prominent shading:
apache_sunset01.jpg

Time and patience, properly invested, will reap rich dividends out of this mesmerising golden liquid. Noodler’s has yet another winner with Apache Sunset.

[P.S.: the above image may be removed when I attach a better-written sample in a later post to this thread.]

Edited by alexanderino, 29 December 2007 - 22:00.

Sponsored Content

#2 Taki

Taki

Antique

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,619 posts

Posted 29 December 2007 - 13:42

Thank you very much for a very nice review. It's one of my favorite inks. Mmmm I have to flush out my orange Pel and fill it with Apache Sunset.

#3 alexanderino

alexanderino

Extremely Rare

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 231 posts

Posted 29 December 2007 - 14:11

Taki, thanks for the kind words smile.gif I will build up on the review as time passes.

#4 goldkiwi

goldkiwi

Extremely Rare

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 222 posts

Posted 29 December 2007 - 20:25

Oh, that's yummy... I'd heard that Apache Sunset has lovely shading characteristics, but puddle.gif It also makes me miss my Lamy 1.1 nib, which I seem to have carelessly misplaced... I'm curious to see a sample written with your Elite, also! I guess my one concern is that this falls under the category of somewhat impractical inks... I don't know how much usage I would get out of it, considering that it's not really a work-appropriate ink, and dang, those Noodler's bottles are big! roflmho.gif

Edited by goldkiwi, 29 December 2007 - 20:26.

Posted Image Currently out of vials.my ink list

Ink of the moment: mix of Noodler's Lermontov, Britannia's Blue Waves, and Whiteness of the Whale

#5 alexanderino

alexanderino

Extremely Rare

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 231 posts

Posted 29 December 2007 - 21:39

Hi goldkiwi, glad to hear you’ve fallen for it wink.gif

While Apache Sunset is not a general purpose ink, it can be mixed with others to produce some amazing hues — for instance, my other Lamy [med. nib] has Apache Sunset and Ottoman Azure in roughly equal quantities, and the result is a sumptuous shade of teal. Since it is so light, it can also constitute a bigger portion of the mix [especially . My next version of AS with Diamine Monaco Red will be closer to 75:25 rather than 30:70 [not very different from unadulterated DMR].

I will attach a sample written with the Elite and the Lamy M in about 12 hours.

#6 Maja

Maja

Fan of colourful pens

• FPN Hon. Admin

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,353 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 30 December 2007 - 09:30

Apache Sunset is a *great* ink....very different from any other ink I own or have seen.
It looks great on paper but when I first opened the bottle, I thought it looked like tincture of iodine ohmy.gif

Thanks for the review, alexanderino----you really show off its unique characteristics! thumbup.gif

Vancouver (B.C) Pen Club (our website)

#7 girlieg33k

girlieg33k

• Member - Gold

• 1,837 posts

Posted 30 December 2007 - 09:42

Thanks for the review, alexanderino. Apache Sunset tends to run inexplicably dry. I put a drop of dish washing detergent into the bottle, and it sorted out the initial flow problems that I was having... As far as Apache Sunset being impractical or inappropriate for "work-related" documents, it's one of the inks I use for editing. The way I see it, the happy color adds a bit of sunshine to everything it touches... smile.gif

Edited by girlieg33k, 30 December 2007 - 12:32.

Talking about fountain pens is like dancing about architecture.

#8 Deirdre

Deirdre

Stipula Ventidue Ti Nib Adoption Agency

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,122 posts

Posted 30 December 2007 - 09:49

QUOTE(Maja @ Dec 30 2007, 01:30 AM) View Post
Apache Sunset is a *great* ink....very different from any other ink I own or have seen.
It looks great on paper but when I first opened the bottle, I thought it looked like tincture of iodine ohmy.gif

How well did it work on cuts? lticaptd.gif
deirdre.net
"Heck we fed a thousand dollar pen to a chicken because we could." -- FarmBoy, about Pen Posse

#9 alexanderino

alexanderino

Extremely Rare

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 231 posts

Posted 30 December 2007 - 12:26

QUOTE(Maja @ Dec 30 2007, 09:30 AM) View Post
Thanks for the review, alexanderino----you really show off its unique characteristics! thumbup.gif

Thanks biggrin.gif

QUOTE(girlieg33k @ Dec 30 2007, 09:42 AM) View Post
Thanks for the review, alexanderino. Apache Sunset tends to run inexplicably dry.

Exactly what I felt when I laid my Lamy 1.1 to paper. Also, try a fine or extra-fine nib. They may be more conducive to free flow. And your ‘happy bit of sunshine’ description is spot-on smile.gif

BTW, so much for the 12-hour pic. Work was too hectic to write a sample, and I’m a bit too inebriated to rectify the situation rolleyes.gif Not to worry, I will get around to it wink.gif

Edited by alexanderino, 30 December 2007 - 22:04.

#10 playpen

playpen

Donor Pen

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,782 posts

Posted 30 December 2007 - 15:18

I have had this ink for a long time and really love the color but now you've inspired me to mix it with another color and see what I can create..... smile.gif

#11 Maja

Maja

Fan of colourful pens

• FPN Hon. Admin

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,353 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 30 December 2007 - 20:01

QUOTE(Deirdre @ Dec 30 2007, 01:49 AM) View Post
QUOTE(Maja @ Dec 30 2007, 01:30 AM) View Post

How well did it work on cuts? lticaptd.gif

Didn't try it....but just using a fountain pen seems to provide some healing power at times... cloud9.gif
Vancouver (B.C) Pen Club (our website)

#12 Laeyra

Laeyra

Near Mint

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPip
  • 48 posts

Posted 31 December 2007 - 15:29

I love this color! My fountain pen is too dry for any shading to show up, rather it looks light orange, but I use this with my dip pens all the time, particularly my Esterbrook #442 Jackson stub. It's a fascinating ink, for sure! It makes me want to write pages and pages just to see the way it shades.

I haven't had much luck mixing this with other colors. I always seem to get something that looks like ketchup and mustard mixed together and dried. But then again, I don't have a particularly large stable of ink just yet.

#13 Sharkle

Sharkle

Sharkle

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 661 posts

Posted 01 January 2008 - 05:59

Thanks so much for the review. I haven't been able to put my Apache Sunset to much good use by itself (usually too light), and now I can see why: most of my F and EF nibs are not really wet writers, and I almost always write in cursive. Your sample with the beautiful shading just gave me the idea to load it in my Cross and then print to see if I can get this effect. I am going to try it on this parchment-type paper I have. This ink really can mix beautifully with other colors. I've made some gorgeous greens and oranges from it. thumbup.gif

#14 MrInkwell

MrInkwell

Near Mint

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPip
  • 28 posts

Posted 14 February 2010 - 10:01

Great review!

#15 Michael R.

Michael R.

Antique

• Member - Gold

• 2,522 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 14 February 2010 - 10:04

I love the shading!

Many thanks.

Michael

my new blog:

visit pensninks on blogspot

I'm looking for some vintage Montblanc parts to complete a few project pens. You'll find the details here:

missing Montblanc parts

#16 Ed Ronax

Ed Ronax

Support a pen addict - donate now.

• Member - Gold

• 2,753 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 14 February 2010 - 10:53

Nice review, thanks.
And how can this be, because he is the Kwisatz Haderach.

#17 lovemy51

lovemy51

legal? of course... and with all my papers. FP-friendly, mostly

• Member - Gold

• 4,517 posts

Posted 16 February 2010 - 09:15

woa, hey now! *whistle* that's lovely color and shading!
Lovemy51 Posted Image

pleese, forgeeve my bad espelling!! Posted Image

#18 januaryman

januaryman

Clan Bruce

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,154 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 09 July 2012 - 13:45

Attached is a photo of a carelessly written sample written with the Safari on a Cartier test pad. As you can see, the rapidly scribbled cursive has less prominent shading:
apache_sunset01.jpg

Time and patience, properly invested, will reap rich dividends out of this mesmerising golden liquid. Noodler’s has yet another winner with Apache Sunset.

I had ordered a sample of Apache Sunset, loaded my pen with a medium CI nib, and used it on a Sustainable Earth Comp book with poor results. Ditto for a white legal pad. When I saw this and read your note that it works best on glossy paper, I tried my Rhodia spiral steno pad and Wow! what a difference. This ink needs glossy paper, and probably a flex nib, although even the CI nib does the trick. Thank you for the tip!

Edited by januaryman, 09 July 2012 - 13:47.

It is easier to stay out than get out. - Mark Twain

#19 Scrawler

Scrawler

The pen is an extension of my mind

• Member - Gold

• 4,684 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 09 July 2012 - 15:03

I particularly like this ink, and have used it to entice some of my nieces into using fountain pens. I find it works best with a little flex.

#20 Colors

Colors

Rare

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 167 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 09 July 2012 - 19:01

I love this ink too. I wasn't too interested in orange or yellow inks, but after joining this network and seeing the reviews, I had to try it and fell in love with it. Currently have an Ahab inked with it and the shading is absolutely terrific. Will make a fantastic autumn color.

Sponsored Content

|