The Fountain Pen Network uses (functional) cookies. Read the FPN Privacy Policy for more info.  To remove this message, please click here to accept the use of cookies

Photo

Relief 314 Lever Filler

• Please log in to reply
12 replies to this topic

#1 SimonG

SimonG

Dipped Only

• Member - Gold

• Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 02 November 2005 - 00:38

The picture shows a pen I picked up at Bermondsey Market last year. I have never seen anything like it, is it rare?
Barrel reads R Esterbrook & Co as a signature, then RELIEF 314, then MADE IN USA

The lever appear to hinge very near the end with the pin it rotates around showing in the barrel at each end where it comes out. One end is a plain oval shape, and the other looks like it bends into the barrel.

The cap has a single wide band right at the end - shortened? - unfortunately the band is broken and loose

The Clip is rivetted on.

Nib says 14CT, USA across it, and then lengthways R ESTERBROOK, RELIEF

Sorry picture is poor quality, the colour is a good bright green with white swirls with little discolouration - a couple of rings of darkening on the cap

Attached Images

• IMG_1440.JPG

Edited by SimonG, 02 November 2005 - 23:38.

Sponsored Content

#2 KendallJ

KendallJ

Self Made Soul

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,481 posts

Posted 02 November 2005 - 01:19

don't see the pic.

Kendall Justiniano
Who is John Galt?

#3 antoniosz

antoniosz

ET IN ARCADIA EGO

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,032 posts

Posted 02 November 2005 - 01:27

It is a piece of junk not worth a penny. Just give it to me :)

Seriously. Brian is the expert but in his site www.esterbrook.net you will see that 314 Relief are actually eyedroppers.

Strange specimen. Wait for Brian to chime in - and please do post a picture.

AZ

#4 Brian Anderson

Brian Anderson

Esterbrook Nut

• FPN Super Moderators

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,335 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 02 November 2005 - 05:40

Yes, picture please, I have head of early Esterbrook self fillers, but never seen one. It is possible the relief 314 could have been made as a lever filler. Since many of the 314's were Wirt made, it is not to hard to picture them making a run of lever filers too.

Anxiously waiting....

Best-
Brian
www.esterbrook.net All Esterbrook, All the Time.

#5 SimonG

SimonG

Dipped Only

• Member - Gold

• Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 02 November 2005 - 23:41

Picture now there.

Technology not my strong point - hence I use a fountain pen (well penS really)

#6 Roger

Roger

FILCAO's Columbia. Photo:www.tryphon.it

• Member - Gold

• 1,388 posts

Posted 03 November 2005 - 00:31

Exposure isn't bad, Simon. Just work on the focus and you'll be mostly there. :D
Roger
Southern Arizona, USA

Fountain Pen Talk Mailing List

#7 antoniosz

antoniosz

ET IN ARCADIA EGO

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,032 posts

Posted 03 November 2005 - 15:25

You probably have a quite rare pen SimonG.

I do have questions and comments.
The clip does not seem to be "Esterbrookish" perhaps some other experts can detect the probable manufacturers. We know that early Esterbrook pes where made by others manufacturers (e.g., Wirt).

Timewise this pen is very strange. This is a presumably pre-V-clip pens. Esterbrook relief 314 eyedropper hard rubber pens (BHR and RHR are date in the first and second decade of the 20th century. The plastic of your pen - celluloid leads me to think that this is late 20s early 30s pen. Esterbrook pens in the mid 20's to early 30s are found in England. It is strange that it says 14CT and USA. It should be either 14K and USA or 14CT and Made in England (I think).

I just want to hear Brian about it.

#8 Brian Anderson

Brian Anderson

Esterbrook Nut

• FPN Super Moderators

• 2,335 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 03 November 2005 - 16:00

This is an interesting pen in a number of ways. The nib seems correct. Not counting the Conway Stewart made Relief 1-R eyedropper, early pre-V clip pens (eyedroppers and self fillers included) have a number of different nibs. I have three distinctly different eydropper nibs in my collection, including one I believe similar to the one Simon identifies, and i have seen at least one other variant. Hoban's speculation was these were made for export to the UK, thus the "14ct" designation. I don't know, but the natural question would be if there are any US manufacturers marking nibs in a similar way, and why they did it.

We do know Wirt was responsible for a majority of the early Esterbrook eyedroppers people see. De La Rue also made an overfeed Gold Relief eyedropper, and I have some suspicions that Aiken Lambert might have had their hands on production as well.

We could speculate (that's all this is, no proof to any of this yet) that during the first decade of the 20th century Esterbrook saw the need to have fountain pens manufactured in order to remain competitve. Also, this would be a normal extension of their business, but since the manufacture of nibs was their specialty, they might have been hesitant to start producing barrels and caps and other parts to make complete pens. So, Richard Esterbrook II goes to a number of manufacturers, Wirt, Aiken Lambert, De La Rue, Conway Stewart and perhaps others and says, "Make me a fountain pen, stamp it Relief 314 and I'll evaluate how well you do". Remember the Relief 314 designation refers to the nib style, not the model of the pen. Interestingly enough, it doesn't appear as though Esterbrook actually manufactured the nibs for these pens. So, a number of manufacturers come back with small runs of pens for Esterbrook to evaluate. Wirt wins the contract and starts producing eyedroppers and self fillers for Esterbrook.

Or...., Esterbrook has Wirt make some, then switches to ALCO, has De La Rue make them in the UK, along with CS, and their are a number of manufacturers making them at the same time.

Interestingly enough, as a mid to late 20's or early 30's pen, this is close to V clip production in 1932. I don't have the patent information with me, but Esterbrook had been planning the V clip design early 30's if not late 20's, so this jade self filler is definitely late production. I wonder why they didn't decide to go with this design instead of the steel re-new-point route.

Early Esterbrook history is fascinating and much of it is unwritten. So one can only speculate until actual proof can be found.

Best-
Brian
www.esterbrook.net All Esterbrook, All the Time.

#9 northlodge

northlodge

Collectors Item

• Member - Gold

• 1,291 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 28 March 2014 - 20:02

Dug this thread out of the cobwebs, but it is the only reference I can find to the Relief 314 leverfiller.

I suspect the artist formally known as SimonG is he who is currently known as Wardok? 

Anyway, with so little for so long, I thought it worth sharing my recent acquisition, adding the enquiry 'has anyone come across a colour other than jade green'?

It is a lovely looking pen!

relief2_zps229e1216.jpg

relief5_zps9e0455dd.jpg
relief3_zps268c941a.jpg

#10 PaFitch

PaFitch

Vintage

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 482 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 30 March 2014 - 02:37

Wow!

#11 northlodge

northlodge

Collectors Item

• Member - Gold

• 1,291 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 06 January 2019 - 11:41

Anyway, with so little for so long, I thought it worth sharing my recent acquisition, adding the enquiry 'has anyone come across a colour other than jade green'?

Well it is almost 5 years since I asked the question, and with still no response.....

So for the sake of historical record, and before it disappears from my desk onto ebay, I will add to known knowledge by sharing a Blue Relief 314 I recently stumbled across. Missing the capband it would seem, and with slight discoloration typical it seems of all such blue pens, but not a bad example of what might be the only recorded survivor:

45714320905_660ffeee09_b.jpg

31687555427_726a912dca_b.jpg

Edited by northlodge, 06 January 2019 - 11:43.

#12 pajaro

pajaro

Amblin along like I had good sense.

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 12,142 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 06 January 2019 - 18:45

A nice looking pen with nice details.

"Don't hurry, don't worry. It's better to be late at the Golden Gate than to arrive in Hell on time."
--Sign in a bar and grill, Ormond Beach, Florida, 1960.

They took the blue from the skies and the pretty girls' eyes and a touch of Old Glory too . . .

#13 AAAndrew

AAAndrew

(Not so) Wee Timorous Beastie

• FPN Supporter - Rhodium

• 2,755 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 11 January 2019 - 15:04

Wow! These are fantastic. I think the lack of response is an indication of the rarity. I've never seen one myself, in any color. 

Thanks for sharing the pics!

“When the historians of education do equal and exact justice to all who have contributed toward educational progress, they will devote several pages to those revolutionists who invented steel pens and blackboards.” V.T. Thayer, 1928

Check out my Steel Pen Blog

"No one is exempt from talking nonsense; the mistake is to do it solemnly."

-Montaigne

Sponsored Content

|