IF you own a Mont Blanc pen please tell me how happy are you with their reliability ?

goodguy

Today I only own 3 Mont Blanc pens but I used to have 2 more that were sold.

All 5 MB pens I own/owned were all very very reliable and excellent all around pens.

Never the less I hear some people think MB pens are not reliable so I would like to hear how happy were you with the reliability of your MB pens.

Please try not to use this thread as "BASH MB PENS" because its not intended to it,I just want to know from your own experience how reliable your MB pens are.

Please tell me how many MB pens do you own just to know and how many were good and how many not.

Edited by goodguy

Respect to all

• Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• goodguy

• kissing

• jmkeuning

• FredRydr

I guess it depends on many things, like personal perception, preference and opinions of pens. And different prior pen experiences. And different writing style, angle, pressure. And the ink. And the weather. A lot of things :)

But I really do hope this topic stays fairly peaceful :)

Never the less I hear some people think MB pens are not reliable so I would like to hear how happy were you with the reliability of your MB pens.

Please try not to use this thread as "BASH MB PENS" because its not intended to it,I just want to know from your own experience how reliable your MB pens are.

No, I am not trying to bash MB products, but I don't think they are very reliable. Sorry, but no happy story about reliability this time.

As of now, I have three Montblancs: the 145, the Greta Garbo and the Kafka. The 145 and the Garbo have been Binderised, the Kafka not yet. All three are extremely reliable writers. Post-Binderisation, the 145 and the Garbo are two of my best, smoothest writers. I realise though, that this is not a typical record with their products nowadays and perhaps I've simply gotten lucky.

I think one reason I've gotten only reliable MBs so far, is that all of mine have been ordered from the same shop, where the owner orders them direct from the factory and apparently has a good relationship with the MB people. So I think what may actually be happening, is that he has been making sure on my behalf that MB double and triple check for quality control before sending each pen. Otherwise, it does seem pretty odd that so many people seem to complain about reliability and quality control issues, whereas each of my pens has been an absolute pleasure. I've been mysteriously told by my husband that a fourth MB may be on the way for an upcoming special occasion, so we shall see if statistics continue to be good to me...

QM2

Edited by QM2

I own two older 146's, circa 1990, I got them both pre-owned in a trade last year. Very happy. Alas, one is up with Richard for a feed issue I suspect was caused by 17 years of neglect before I got it but it performed flawless until recently. The other one keeps on ticking, they hold a fair amount of ink, write beautifully, and are classic pens. I'm very happy with them.

JELL-O, IT'S WHATS FOR DINNER!

I find my Sailors to be more reliable than my Montblancs.

Fool: One who subverts convention or orthodoxy or varies from social conformity in order to reveal spiritual or moral truth.

Statistics are valuable when the supporting data is relevant and verifiable. I think that recent feedback on MB is influenced by the quality of counterfeits... Genuine MBs are tested thorougly, counterfeits are not, and there are very good conterfeits around, which look genuine, but are not. In doubt, when disappointed, the very best advise to give is to ask for a certification by MB itself, unless of course you have purchased the pen directly from a certified MB shop. Quality is not water...

My Writing Instruments (selection):

Graf von Faber-Castell, Classic, 18k nib in ebony wood dress

Pelikan, M800, 18k nib in black resin/plastic dress

Stipula, Etruria Nera, 18k nib in black celluloid dress

Parker, Jotter, black gel ink refill in stainless steel dress

<a href="http://www.fountainpennetwork.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=49361&st=0">Classification of Paper, Inks, and Writing Instruments</a>

I have a MB that is my only FP and it is so dependable, that I would not hesitate to bring it into an exam.

Montblanc 145, F nib
Faber Castell E-Motion in Pearwood, F nib
Montblanc 149, F nib
Visconti Divina Proporzione 1618, S nib
Montblanc Cool Blue Starwalker, EF nib
Montblanc Solitaire Silver Barley BP
Montblanc Rouge et Noir Coral, M nib

No, I am not trying to bash MB products, but I don't think they are very reliable. Sorry, but no happy story about reliability this time.

Do you own MB pens ?

How many ?

Respect to all

I find my Sailors to be more reliable than my Montblancs.

Sorry this is not a comparison,I find my Omas Paragon better writer then all my MB pens but this is not about that.

Please in general how happy are you with your MB pens reliability ?

How many MB pens do you have ?

What models are you happy with and what models you are not happy with ?

Respect to all

goodguy,

I think it's not a good idea to only acknowledge the replies you want to hear, and not acknowledge people who speak their opinions and comparisons that is not what you wish to hear :unsure:

We've been down this track before, and I think it is exactly this kind of defence that welcomes criticism :unsure: Hmm...

Nevertheless, we've been through this MB cycle many times. The answer at the end is always the same. Some people are very happy :) others are not :(.

If you're happy with your MB's, that is terrific for you :D It doesn't mean that everyone else has to agree, especially if their experience and opinions are different.

The question is no longer "Are MB reliable and good". It is "Are MB reliable and good pen for you "

That "for you" factor makes a universe of difference, I think, and is the key note that can prevent all MB-related conflicts :)

Edited by kissing

This type of stuff should be on the MB forum.

MB owners have their own forum on FPN so they should use it.

I agree but not every MB user is on the MB forum.I own them but hardly ever get on that forum.There is a better exposure on this forom and I want this to be a more compehensive test to see how happy are the MB owners with their the reliability of their Mont Blanc pens.

Respect to all

goodguy,

I think it's not a good idea to only acknowledge the replies you want to hear, and not acknowledge people who speak their opinions and comparisons that is not what you wish to hear :unsure:

We've been down this track before, and I think it is exactly this kind of defence that welcomes criticism :unsure: Hmm...

Nevertheless, we've been through this MB cycle many times. The answer at the end is always the same. Some people are very happy others are not. The End :)

If you're happy with you MB's, that is terrific for you :D It doesn't mean that everyone else has to agree, especially if their experience and opinions are very different to you.

The question is not "Are MB reliable and good". It is "Are MB reliable and good pen for you "

That "for you" factor makes a universe of difference, I think :)

People can say what ever they want as long as they are nice and polite but I never got a reply to my questions.

How happy is he with his MB pens.What models are good and what not.

Do you want me to compare my MB pens to the rest of my pens ?

I like it better then my Sheaffers.

I find them as reliable as my PArkers.

They are more reliable then my Omas

They are as reliable as my Deltas

More reliable then my Waterman

Sorry this is not a comparison its a simple question,if you have a MB pen how happy are with it.If you want to add a comparisson be my quest but please a simple mathematical question is all it takes.

Reliability is not a question of how do you like your pen.Its a matter of if it breaks or not,if the ink runs well,if the nib is smooth,no leaks.The way of how you feel about the pen is a different matter all together,then I would ask how do you like the pen MB makes.

Edited by goodguy

Respect to all

I own about 8 and they all write well, some minor adjustment issues but that is true for any number of makers. Still MB is not my favorite maker by far.

The Danitrio Fellowship

I have one 146, and its a good pen. The nib is my favorite part. However, there are better pens out there.

I would buy it again if i was asked but there is nothing really special about the pen.

I honestly felt that when I used it the first time, it wasn't worth ~$300 (I got it duty free new). It sort of felt "cheap"

Reliability wise, nothings wrong with them. Mine never cracked; I take care of my pens.

Always a first starter, never skips, consistant flow. Sure, I would take it for an exam, but it wouldnt be my first choice.

I have one MB and it is not a reliable writer.

Mike

Only when the last tree has died and the last river been poisoned and the last fish been caught will we realise we cannot eat money.

- Cree Indian Proverb

I have one 146, and its a good pen. The nib is my favorite part. However, there are better pens out there.

I would buy it again if i was asked but there is nothing really special about the pen.

I honestly felt that when I used it the first time, it wasn't worth ~$300 (I got it duty free new). It sort of felt "cheap"

Reliability wise, nothings wrong with them. Mine never cracked; I take care of my pens.

Always a first starter, never skips, consistant flow. Sure, I would take it for an exam, but it wouldnt be my first choice.

I dont think any pen is worth more then 300$ (it never stopped me from buying more expensive pens :unsure: ).

I am glad your MB pens are reliable,thats basicly what I wanted to hear from the members how reliable their MB pens are.

Respect to all

You're filling this forum with almost the same questions...

I'm happier with my Sailors (from fine standard nibs to cross concord emperor), Waterman Edson-Man100-Serenitè, Pilot Capless than with my Montblanc149 though i think it's a great fountain pen.

(i forget: i like having my 149 in my pocket because my beautiful woman thinks that i'm sexier... :ltcapd: :ltcapd: :ltcapd: )