am I right or wrong about MB's

CaseyK

I remember when they advertised the Diplomate in art magazines as the best drawing pen and cost $34.00. Later at the renaissance of fountain pens interest in the late 80's, MBs were sought after by status seekers who also had to wear a Rolex and drive a Mercedes. At the height of this craze, MB's were available at mom n pop office supply stores and distributed in the US by Kooh-i-noor. It was at this time that the quality of the pens took a nose dive. I am betting that most people who detest these pens got their first one during this period. MB's were notorious. A pen shop owner and repairman told me that of all the pens that went out of his store, MB's were the ones he was most likely to see come back.

Now MB has positioned itself as a luxury item and taken themselves out of mass market office supply stores. I believe they have taken back quality control too. I won't comment on their decision to "rise above" the commonplace and overprice their products to the extreme. A lot of people, (I think) are also unhappy with their "new" elitist ads. I agree that IMHO it was a mistake to market themselves out of a wider base ...OK, I lied, I did comment on that.

But getting back to my original thought, how many of you that really dislike MB's, do so from an early bad experience, and from not a more recent purchase?

• Replies 26
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Cerebus

• Deirdre

• Jimmy James

• CaseyK

I'm guessing I'd like them more if I'd tried a fountain pen first. That said, I do like my Generations rollerball, though I wish I'd also gotten it in fountain pen form.

deirdre.net

"Heck we fed a thousand dollar pen to a chicken because we could." -- FarmBoy, about Pen Posse

But getting back to my original thought, how many of you that really dislike MB's, do so from an early bad experience, and from not a more recent purchase?

Really dislike? Nah, not really. When I was younger, I always wanted a MB. However, I am one of those who are really turned off by fads and trendiness, so when the MB became "THE" pen to have for yuppies and other people I did not particularly care for, I stopped wanting one. After I "grew up" and realized that my decisions of what I like and don't like should be made on what I like and don't like, I started to look at the MB line again. Simply put, I just did not see anything that I really liked at the time. I am not a big fan of the styling of the 149, and the pens that I really liked (Meisterstuck Solitare) are priced a few hundred dollars over what I think they are worth. I write with my pens and there are a lot of good writers out there that look good and cost less. I became interested in the S. T. Dupont line when I broke down and purchased one of their lighters (under the Davidoff name) with some overtime money that I had after a long refueling outage at the plant. When I felt the weight, the smoothness, and saw the absolute quality of the product, I nearly cried. I did not think that things like this were made anymore. I guess that is what got me interested in the S. T. Dupont pen. The choice for me was between a Solitare and an Olympio. I would have taken either one if one had been given me. However, since it was my money being spent, I went with the pen that I thought was a better value and purchased the Olympio. I tease about the cheesy MB marketing, but I have nothing really against the product. I am, however, somewhat envious of some acquaintances of mine who have MB pens because they were either given to them, or the purchased them because they were the "in" pen, and they don't even like pens. Maybe if I keep telling them what a crappy pen the MB is, they'll just give it to me :eureka: So, take some of my apparent MB bashing with a huge dump truck full of salt.

"Political Correctness is a doctrine, fostered by a delusional and illogical minority, and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a turd by the clean end"

Well, I wear a Rolex, drive a Mercedes and like Montblanc pens and I do not understand why negativity and harsh feelings are always attached to these items.

You're experiencing an example of class prejudice against what in my youth was disdainfully referred to as the "nouveau riche", more recently "yuppie" or "bling" set. You're getting it from both sides. Old-money folks look down their noses at people just joining the golf club, because of the extravagant, obvious way newfound wealth prefers to spend its earnings; po' folk like me just grind their teeth in envy that we ain't rich, too!

The moment we want to believe something, we suddenly see all the arguments for it, and become blind to the arguments against it.

~ Bernard Shaw.

Well, I wear a Rolex, drive a Mercedes and like Montblanc pens and I do not understand why negativity and harsh feelings are always attached to these items.

You're experiencing an example of class prejudice against what in my youth was disdainfully referred to as the "nouveau riche", more recently "yuppie" or "bling" set. You're getting it from both sides. Old-money folks look down their noses at people just joining the golf club, because of the extravagant, obvious way newfound wealth prefers to spend its earnings; po' folk like me just grind their teeth in envy that we ain't rich, too!

For me, I think that people who tend to buy those brands are doing so just to put out an image of wealth. It isn't an envy, I just think that it can be gauche. I don't mind people owning expensive things (an Apple computer for example), but this is when quality matches price. But, that is just me.

Each to his/her own, but I wouldn't spend my hard earned money on any of these. There are far better FPs, watches and cars available for the money.

Bryan

"The greatest lesson in life is to know that even fools are right sometimes." Winston S. Churchill

Either way I enjoy them and I could care less what people may think. These wealth/status discussions are really taking away from the enjoyment of pens and their discussions. It should not be a frowned upon to enjoy certain products even if they are associated with wealth or status.

Each to his/her own, but I wouldn't spend my hard earned money on any of these. There are far better FPs, watches and cars available for the money.

Edited by shane1

Either way I enjoy them and I could care less what people may think.

Could it be that attitude that contributes to the way some people react?

I say enjoy what you like. If you're so neatly falling into a stereotype, the next time you buy a pen, watch, or car, maybe you should take a second look around to make sure those things actually are what you like and not you conforming to a lifestyle, though. Your call.

<a href="Http://inkynibbles.com">Inky NIBbles, the ravings of a pen and ink addict.</a>

This discussion is taking a direction I never intended. I was wondering if one's negative opinion was formed during this time " It was at this time that the quality of the pens took a nose dive. I am betting that most people who detest these pens got their first one during this period. MB's were notorious. A pen shop owner and repairman told me that of all the pens that went out of his store, MB's were the ones he was most likely to see come back."

Casey, I started using FP's in the late 1950's in the U. S. Back in those days, Parker, Sheaffer and Waterman were kings, with Esterbrook being the working man's friend. I had one Sheaffer school pen. Otherwise, I used Parkers that were given to me by my parents. European made pens were never an option.

By the early 1980's, I was in the U. S. Army and I had been stationed in Germany. I had discovered Pelikans there (along with Diplomats, the brand, not the MB model), but Montblancs were not even a pen I knew about. I did not even own a MB until the mid 1990's when I was given a MB 149 as a gift. The man who gave me the pen thought he had given me the ultimate writing instrument, based on his experiences with the brand from the 1960's and 1970's. That individual is my parents' age. In all honesty, I have never had a single problem with that pen (which I still own).

I have heard many people talk about their experiences with MB, from the early 1950's through the 1990's. I have not heard of an isolated time period when there were significant issues with MB quality control. The majority of the people I have talked with are retired military who were stationed in Germany in the post-WWII era. Those individuals generally bought one or two pens by MB and used them for years. If they had initial problems with the pens, they have never mentioned them.

I do not know if this information is helpful or not.

This discussion is taking a direction I never intended. I was wondering if one's negative opinion was formed during this time " It was at this time that the quality of the pens took a nose dive. I am betting that most people who detest these pens got their first one during this period. MB's were notorious. A pen shop owner and repairman told me that of all the pens that went out of his store, MB's were the ones he was most likely to see come back."

I dislike them from neither; I don't buy them. They are overpriced for what they offer. I realize that some may say that you must purchase to have an opinion, but I trust in the reviews of others. In addition, I can compare prices with other similar pens and decide accordingly.

Really dislike? Nah, not really. When I was younger, I always wanted a MB. However, I am one of those who are really turned off by fads and trendiness, so when the MB became "THE" pen to have for yuppies and other people I did not particularly care for, I stopped wanting one.

This is one of the things that turns me off about BOTH MB and Cross -- they are ubiquitous. When I was a young thing, a lot of people had gold Cross pens, too, and I always thought that was a turn-off. Yet, now I have one. Go figure. I definitely prefer white gold (or platinum or titanium or silver, in approximately that order).

Then again, I like some trends and dislike others, but generally I prefer things a bit off the beaten path.

Edited by Deirdre

deirdre.net

"Heck we fed a thousand dollar pen to a chicken because we could." -- FarmBoy, about Pen Posse

I have also never liked Cross, but that's a whole other story. I got Cross ballpoints on occasion in my younger years, and they were never as smooth as a Parker. That goes for the refill's writing surface and its operation in the twist mechanism. Now that I know more about the company, I also don't like their marketing strategy because it is clear it has resulted in an inferior product getting superior market share. It also offends me a bit that they're in essence a jewelry company right from the start.

<a href="Http://inkynibbles.com">Inky NIBbles, the ravings of a pen and ink addict.</a>

My limited experience with Montblanc fountain pens comes from my grad student years when I bought two of their student pens, both of which fell apart within a month of purchase. Then I bought a Pelikan 120 and found it a much better, more durable pen. After I began buying pens in a rather unrestrained fashion in 1997, I ended up with two of the less costly vintage Montblanc pens. They wrote better than the student pens, but neither was particularly durable, with pistons that regularly disconnected themselves. I have never sprung for a more expensive Montblanc since I'm happy with other pens and don't have any positive associations Montblanc from past experience. But I can't say I hate Montblanc. I have enjoyed looking at some of their limited edition pens. And if someone were to give me a Montblanc, I'd certainly not turn up my nose at it. As for their marketing, I'm not part of the demographic they target, so I find it easy to ignore.

All I can say: after handling and "test-driving" Montblanc (or any pen for that matter) -- Do **you** like it? Who cares what other people think. I have never purchased anything because of wanting to keep-up with xxxxx or show-off to anyone. As for Rolex (another highly marketed brand), as a 30-plus year collector of various watches, I would recommend people seek info from a watch forum or non-company publications to learn about the **wristwatch**. In any circle, dismissing anything **only** because of (opinion=>) extensive marketing is to only barely scratch the surface of any robust discussion.

In a nutshell, I would not permit the marketing influence a purchase. I've always done my homework beforehand of any purchase of this nature (which is why I enjoy reading the opinions and reviews done on this 'site).

Have a good day,

Paul

A dreamer is one who can only find his way by moonlight, and his punishment is that he sees the dawn before the rest of the world.

~ Oscar Wilde, 1888

http://img356.imageshack.us/img356/7260/postminipo0.pnghttp://img356.imageshack.us/img356/8703/letterminizk9.png

Now MB has positioned itself as a luxury item and taken themselves out of mass market office supply stores.

I use FPs since my first class in school. 20 years ago I purchased some vintage MBs at the flea market. Wonderful writers. Once I had to decide between a vintage Pelikan 400 and a MB 252 and the sellers advice was to get the MB because they were so much rarer. I did so and still have the pen. This one was accompanied by the models 14 (the Meisterstück from the 60s - great pen!), 22, 32, 342, several Pelikan 400s and, many years later, a 144. Initially I was pretty unhappy with the pens because MB blueblack dried and the pens did not start. Waterman or Quink solved this problem and I was a happy user of all these MBs for many years except the 144. This one is still a problem and therefore a dissapointment. Because of this pen I was not encouraged to get a recent MB. In my eyes they are simply overpriced anyway.

Some years ago MB pens became THE status symbol. Everyone had to have a MB pen. And this was the moment when I stopped using my MBs at the office. OK, they are vintage pens and do not have the same status value than a brand new 146 - but still it's a MB. Now I use the Pelikans and Lamys at the office. Everyone knows these brands from school. The 400 or 2K are the "good" pens from a "normal" brand. Just a good and reliable pen for a reasonable price with no further status value. This suits me best.

Should one day MB become a "normal" and reasonably priced pen again, I may think of another not vintage MB.....

MB has always been a sensitive topic, but this one seems to be going ok so far :)

I think whether we like their pens is very personal, and the trick is to acknowledge that people have different preferences, perceptions and opinions.

On a personal note, I can't afford MBs - and I would be spending my money on different things if I had the money. I don't think they're bad pens, I hear quite often they write just fine, and for some people, it is a favourite writer.

On the other hand, the pens are often perceived as a 'status symbol' or nothing but a bling-bling to show off (or compensate) wealth and stuff - but I think that is just one way of looking at it.

While there are probably lots of pen noobs out there flashing their MB's with the assumption that people will look up to the pen and think its the best (as the stereotypes go). But not all MB users are like this :) Some people (especially at FPN of all places) seem to see the pen as a pen, and value it for its functionality, elegance and writing experience.

They do come at a relatively hefty price, but so do pens from other brands. If people have enough money to get the pens they really want, and it happens to be MB, it will be a very good pen for them :)

Edited by kissing

For me, I think that people who tend to buy those brands are doing so just to put out an image of wealth. It isn't an envy, I just think that it can be gauche. I don't mind people owning expensive things (an Apple computer for example), but this is when quality matches price. But, that is just me.

Sorry to disapoint you but not everybody that buys MB does it for the image.I LOVE MB pens and just bought a LE MB pen.The pen will not leave the pen case so you cant blame me for buying it to strik a pose with it.I love MB pens because I think they make AMAZING pens and are at the top quality of its class equal only by few other makers.All the MB pen that I own (only 3) are excellent pens,excellent writers and VERY reliable.

Respect to all

Since this question as with all MB queries draws a life of its own, I will say from a "non-caste" point of view that I find the MB Meisterstucke fp I have adequate as a pen for daily use; I find nothing special about it, as its "precious resin" indicates I should. I love the same model rollerball, but this is more for the refill's point than the pen itself. From a "caste" point of view, I have just inked a Hero "Doctor's Pen" I received free with an order from Mumbai- steel nib, plastic- it writes dutifully in margins of old Penguin paperbacks, completes a crossword on newsprint without spreading, and holds a good deal of ink (albeit with many squeezes of the sac).

If someone wishes to write on a daily basis with a MB- who am I to criticize- for every word written with a fountain pen is one more testament to why they remain an important part of civilization- granted the same may be said of rollers, bps, pencils, chalk, even grafitti spray paints- but not really.

Tony

I am betting that most people who detest these pens got their first one during this period. MB's were notorious. A pen shop owner and repairman told me that of all the pens that went out of his store, MB's were the ones he was most likely to see come back.

Now MB has positioned itself as a luxury item and taken themselves out of mass market office supply stores. I believe they have taken back quality control too.

I don't think they have taken back quality control at all. They only thing that has changed is the price they ask for their products. The quality of MB pens is in my opinion still as bad as in the '80's. Their price versus quality ratio has gotten worse. I also get the impression that they are not really selling well. Don't see many of them anymore at specialized pen dealers. Probably that's a good sign and a positive development.