McLaren Carbon Fiber Roller Ball

Carbon

I have a novelty pen made for McLaren Racing. It is an M900 carbon fiber fountain pen. I want to get the matching roller ball to go with it just to have a matched set. If anyone has one in new condition please let me know.

• Replies 12
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Carbon

• rroossinck

• Tom L

• pen tom

Sorry I can't help you with the carbon fiber rollerball. Interestingly, I did just receive a McLaren pen yesterday, but no carbon fiber except for the tube in which it came.

Let me know if you want to sell me the carbon fiber though!

Regards,

Tom

Two wrongs don't make a right, but three rights make a left.

Thanks for the response. I am not interested in selling at the moment. It is actually the coolest looking pen I have ever seen with O-rings for grips and real carbon for the barrel and cap. The carbon tube it came in is cool as well. It has a unique plunger system as well. I am not sure who actually manufactured it.

Sorry I can't help you with the carbon fiber rollerball. Interestingly, I did just receive a McLaren pen yesterday, but no carbon fiber except for the tube in which it came.

Let me know if you want to sell me the carbon fiber though!

Regards,

Tom

http://www.airlineintl.com/mclaren/img/mclaren_900.jpg

Is this the pen you have? Oooh, you're a lucky one. :)

Yes. That's the one. I don't actually have any pictures of it myself. Thanks for posting.

I have a 600, and just yesterday got an 850 which is way cool and is in my pocket now. Would love to get a 900, and perhaps an 800.

The pump fillers are cool but with both of mine they stuck a little, so I use Noodler's "Eel" ink in them which helps.

Here's a picture of the filler, which I would be remiss if I did not credit as from the Airline International website:

http://www.airlineintl.com/mclaren/img/mclaren_pump.jpg

Here's a picture of an 850, which, again, is from the Airline International website:

http://www.airlineintl.com/mclaren/img/mclaren_850.jpg

Two wrongs don't make a right, but three rights make a left.

in the nature of credit where it's due, the pic that i linked out to was from airline as well.

interesting...i happened to be reading a stylophiles online article about titanium pens that Bill wrote a couple of years ago, and that McLaren was mentioned (no photo, though).

is this pen one of those "if you have to ask, you probably can't afford it" types?

http://farm2.static.flickr.com/1118/726404937_328386ddc6_o.jpg

Brassing Adds Character: Available by clicking on my signature.

in the nature of credit where it's due, the pic that i linked out to was from airline as well.

interesting...i happened to be reading a stylophiles online article about titanium pens that Bill wrote a couple of years ago, and that McLaren was mentioned (no photo, though).

is this pen one of those "if you have to ask, you probably can't afford it" types?

I can't remember what I paid for it but I think it was in the $400 - $500 range. It seemed like a lot at the time but years later I have spent a lot more on other pens.

• 1 month later...

The McLaren pens were made under license by a british company that made among other items orthopedic implants hence they had much skill at the manufacture of titanium items.

I had a few e-mail exchanges with the managing director of the firm that made them back in 1999 or 2000.

MSRP back then if I recall was 600 or so for the plain titanium pens up to 1100 or so for the carbon fiber ones if memory serves.

I have two, though one has a wrecked nib. Nibs appear to me to be from Bock.

To my info they are now out of production.

Their converter is the best I have ever encountered. Because it is very open at the bottom if it sticks one can easily lubricate it with a small applicator and some silicone lube.

My only complaints about the pens are:

1. The clips are on the weak side --- esp. early ones, they went to a heavier gauge latter in production though still weak for a heavy pen

2. the cap threads are a bonded plastic insert, nice in that it allows posting but kind of cheap for a rather expensive and "advanced" all metal pen.

• 7 months later...

I have an 850 rollerball that I got back in '99, from Airline International. It's still my favorite pen. I really regret not buying the fountain pen when I saw it at the LA show about five years ago. They don't make 'em anymore, and they're very hard to find.

• 1 year later...

I have a novelty pen made for McLaren Racing. It is an M900 carbon fiber fountain pen. I want to get the matching roller ball to go with it just to have a matched set. If anyone has one in new condition please let me know.

hello i just came across this web site and noticed your ad from ages ago. i might be able to help you as i had so=me of these in storage which i kept after selling out of the jewellery business.

if your interseted please feel free to let me know. cheers

emmanuel

emmanuel.devo@bigpond.com