SF writer in Florida

Joe Haldeman

I'm a futuristic science fiction guy who loves the feel of pen on paper. So I write my first drafts in blank books. At the end of the morning's writing, I transcribe the handwritten text onto the computer, doing a light rewrite in the process.

Stumbled onto this forum while looking for a way to keep my nice Waterman from petering out. It writes fine for a couple of paragraphs and then dries out. Clean it, change the ink, same thing. I've had dozens of fountain pens, literally, and never one with quite this malady.

Right now, I rotate among a Mont Blanc, an italic Aurora, a Namiki SF, two Watermans, a Lamy Safari (old European italic), a Parker Sonnet, an italic Schaeffer's, a Stypen, and a Lamy Italic 1.1. If I'm feeling crazy, a lovely glass dip pen with an odd point I got at a pen store in Venice, which holds a long paragraph's worth of ink.

Joe Haldeman

• Replies 29
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Deirdre

• HDoug

• Ghost Plane

• captnemo

I write my first drafts in blank books. At the end of the morning's writing, I transcribe the handwritten text onto the computer, doing a light rewrite in the process.

I do exactly the same, though I don't write science fiction. For some reason, ideas come a lot easier to me when I write with pen on paper rather than attempting it directly on the computer. When I use a fountain pen in a comfortable notebook, I literally feel as if the words/ideas/imagery are flowing out.

Welcome to the forum!

QM2

Edited by QM2

Welcome Joe!

It is a truth universally acknowledged, that a single man in possession of a good fortune, must be in want of nothing at all...

I'm a futuristic science fiction guy who loves the feel of pen on paper. So I write my first drafts in blank books. At the end of the morning's writing, I transcribe the handwritten text onto the computer, doing a light rewrite in the process.

Stumbled onto this forum while looking for a way to keep my nice Waterman from petering out. It writes fine for a couple of paragraphs and then dries out. Clean it, change the ink, same thing. I've had dozens of fountain pens, literally, and never one with quite this malady.

Right now, I rotate among a Mont Blanc, an italic Aurora, a Namiki SF, two Watermans, a Lamy Safari (old European italic), a Parker Sonnet, an italic Schaeffer's, a Stypen, and a Lamy Italic 1.1. If I'm feeling crazy, a lovely glass dip pen with an odd point I got at a pen store in Venice, which holds a long paragraph's worth of ink.

Joe Haldeman

Didn't you write 'the Forever War'? Think I've got that on my shelf somewhere!

Hello and welcome!

Kurt

Welcome to FPN, Joe. I havent read yuor books yet, but, now, iIwill have to visit my local Borders books on wednesday!!!

BTW, you are in good company- Neil Gaiman, Neal Stephenson and Orson Scott Card are all fountainpen users from what I hear. :)

Edited by Wolverine1

Are you THE Joe Haldeman? Wow, that's so cool. I was a member of SFWA a long time ago.

I'm in the opposite situation. I write best on keyboard, and I'm writing by hand to "teach" my hand to write. What I write by hand is very different in form and content than what I write via keyboard. Different parts of the brain involved, or different neuro-muscular-psychological connections, whatever etc.

Just wanted to drop a "welcome" on you!

Doug

Are you THE Joe Haldeman? Wow, that's so cool. I was a member of SFWA a long time ago.

I'm in the opposite situation. I write best on keyboard, and I'm writing by hand to "teach" my hand to write. What I write by hand is very different in form and content than what I write via keyboard. Different parts of the brain involved, or different neuro-muscular-psychological connections, whatever etc.

So cool that we've got so many science fiction writers here!

I use fountain pens in editing; I prefer to edit on paper. I sometimes write scenes on paper, and frequently write notes on paper and then transcribe them, but as a long-time software engineer, I'm used to thinking at a keyboard.

deirdre.net

"Heck we fed a thousand dollar pen to a chicken because we could." -- FarmBoy, about Pen Posse

Joe,

First, it's exciting to respond to someone whose books I've read and consider some of my favorites. Second, no one has answered your question. I'm not an expert by any means, but it seems like your Waterman has either:

• A clogged channel in its feed,

• or if you are using a convertor, the ink is adhering to the sides and not providing proper flow.

You're getting a paragraph of two of writing, becuase that's the amount of ink residing in the pen's feed from the fill-up you're giving it.

First, try to resolve the sticky convertor issue. Try flushing the pen and convertor with some water with a couple of drops of liquid dish soap in it. The type you use at the sink, not in the dishwasher. Something plain like Palmolive is fine.

If this doesn't help it might be the clogged feed channel. For help there, contact some of these repair people for expert advice:

Richard Binder (http://www.richardspens.com/) -- also one of the most comprehensive fountain pen sites out there.

Ron Zorn (http://www.mainstreetpens.com/)

John Mottishaw (http://www.nibs.com/)

There are other fine repair people out there. My guess it that this posting will jump start other people's suggestions.

Hope this helps and thanks for the great reads.

Welcome. Dan's reply seems right on the money. I would even soak the section in that soapy solution over night. Then flush it until the water runs without any suds.

Enjoy your time on the site.

Welcome to FPN, Joe!

As you may have noticed, there's more than a few of us here who enjoy your books... I'm on that list, too! (My 1975 copy of The Forever War is one of the first SF books I bought.) B)

-- Joel -- "I collect expensive and time-consuming hobbies."

INK (noun): A villainous compound of tannogallate of iron, gum-arabic and water,

chiefly used to facilitate the infection of idiocy and promote intellectual crime.

(from The Devil's Dictionary, by Ambrose Bierce)

Welcome to FPN!

I go both ways, depending on what I'm writing. For expository factual writing, stuff I write on the forum or for my blog, I prefer keyboard. But when writing a story, especially if there is dialog, I prefer to be completely away from machines and to write with FP or pencil.

OMG! thanks to Deirdre's link I just realized you wrote Saul's Death, which I remember reading years and years ago in Omni. I never forgot it, and when my old magazines were tossed by my parents during move, I thought I'd never find it again - till the internet, of course.

Wow. That poem made me shiver then, it made me shiver now. And in my amateurish way, way back when, it inspired me to write a sestina.

I'm thrilled to near speechlessness. Shivery (in a good way) and speechless.

Um, also, I like fountain pens too. :embarrassed_smile: