Which Writer Series pen is your favorite ?

goodguy

I think most of the pens in the MB writer Series have this wonderful balance between userability and beauty.This is what I think the thing that seperate it from MB other LE series.

Choosing one favorite is a very tough thing but the two pens that are at the top of my list are the Alexander Dumas and Marcel Proust.

Out of these 2 pens I like the Marcel Proust best because of the silver body.Somhow to me the pen has this combintion of old style class and beauty.

Choosing a leased favorite pen is actualy easier because I never got the Jules Verne.

Somhow it looked futuristic to me but with no soul.This pen just doesnt do it to me.

Respect to all

• Replies 24
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• SMG

• kaisede

• kenny

• Brian

Top Posters In This Topic

With the caveat that I don't have any of the Writer Series pens, I do enjoy looking at them.

The Wilde used to be my favorite until the Kafka was released. I don't know if I've ever seen a more beautiful pen than the Kafka. It is the only Writer Series pen I've ever seriously contemplated buying.

I find the Cervantes to be my favorite. It looks cheap to me- in photos, never seen one in person.

Best regards, greg

Don't feel bad. I'm old; I'm meh about most things.

heminway the very first one and then well maybe scott fitzgerald and dickens. :thumbup: Edited by ppenloverr

Regards

p p e n l o v e r r

Agatha Christie is my favorite, then Marcel Proust. Christie because it is so cool with the snake head on the nib and clip, and Proust because of the gorgeous silver as someone earlier stated. I have the F. Scott Fitzgerald and the Charles Dickens, which I disliked at first but quickly came to treasure.

Easy! Dumas... Either signature.

PAKMAN

minibanner.gif                                    Vanness-world-final.png.c1b120b90855ce70a8fd70dd342ebc00.png

My Favorite Pen Restorer                                             My Favorite Pen Store

Vanness Pens - Selling Online!

With the caveat that I don't have any of the Writer Series pens, I do enjoy looking at them.

The Wilde used to be my favorite until the Kafka was released. I don't know if I've ever seen a more beautiful pen than the Kafka. It is the only Writer Series pen I've ever seriously contemplated buying.

I find the Cervantes to be my favorite. It looks cheap to me- in photos, never seen one in person.

Best regards, greg

I have the Cervantes ballpoint, and it does not look cheap in person, at least not to me. The pen is really well balanced and writes very well.

Favorite?: It's gotta be the Oskar Wilde. I love that celluloid and style. The Dumas (either one) runs a close second because of the celluloid and 149 size.

Least Favorite?: Probably the Cervantes. Feels awkward in hand.

Regards, Eric

Edited by niksch

Hard times don't last, but hard people do.

Thank a Veteran.

I have four favorites in the writers edition: Alexandre Dumas, Jules Vernes, Marcel Proust and Ernest Hemingway.

Pens are like watches , once you start a collection, you can hardly go back. And pens like all fine luxury items do improve with time

The Jules Verne is my favorite writer's edition. Proust is Mrs. Kenny's favorite of the ones I have.

I think the Dickens is my least favorite so far.

Dumas, stunning in person, okey on web page. I saw one in pen show and the guys was not selling it.

Voltarie, love it at first sight, brought it right after my first pay check after college.

Jule Verns, liked the blue look and the nib design. Got one few month ago.

Now I am thinking about a Kafka BP and 75th annivery 146 rose gold.

Please take this tongue in cheek since this is only my opinion and experience with using these pens:

Favorites, since it is too hard to pick just one: (1) Hemmingway-the first and most coveted of the series owing to its tribute to the 139; (2) Agatha Christie-a well conceived and understated beauty; and (3) Alexandre Dumas-as understated a pen as possible while adding marbled resin and finely detailed gold trim. It is tasteful and the last of the line until MB decides to make another tribute to the 139.

Honorable Mention: (1) Marcel Proust-a fine concession prize to those who did not get the Lorenzo de Medici when they could. A fly in the ointment is the four turns it takes to get the cap off. Otherwise a beauty quite unlike what I feel are the tormented writings of its namesake; (2) Edgar Allen Poe-a beauty in the details and variation of color, as long as you like blue and have good taste; and (3) Franz Kafka-a gutsy move to create a pen quite unlike any other in their writers series. But it works, from the finely detailed cockroach on the nib, to the triangular and scepter like shape of its body. Some call it ugly and some would even call it beautiful. There is little neutral ground here.

How do they write? Of all these pens two had problems with ink flow (1) the Proust took a trip back to New Jersey for poor ink flow. Maybe MB sent it back to Germany since it was gone for many months; and (2) The Dumas posted here is a B and it wrote well out of the box. Can't say the same for the pen that it replaced because it was stolen. That Dumas went to NJ too but was properly fixed for ink flow problems. The third pen, I think it was the Agatha Christie, went back because the filler knob fell off! It came back with an OB and boy it is a great writer. Hats off to the MB Service Dept. in NJ.

Thanks for asking, and if I may add, I don't think perfection exists with any premium product, even MB. Overall, I still believe they make a great and inspired product.

I think most of the pens in the MB writer Series have this wonderful balance between userability and beauty.This is what I think the thing that seperate it from MB other LE series.

Choosing one favorite is a very tough thing but the two pens that are at the top of my list are the Alexander Dumas and Marcel Proust.

Out of these 2 pens I like the Marcel Proust best because of the silver body.Somhow to me the pen has this combintion of old style class and beauty.

Choosing a leased favorite pen is actualy easier because I never got the Jules Verne.

Somhow it looked futuristic to me but with no soul.This pen just doesnt do it to me.

Hey Goodguy,

I forgot to mention that you have good taste. The Dumas and Proust are among my favorites too. I don't really use the Verne much because it is too heavy and gives me a writer's cramp if I actually use it for long periods of time.

Best Regards

My votes go for:

1. Hemingway
  2. A. Christie
  3. E.A. Poe
  4. M. Proust
  5. F. Kafka

...also the O. Wilde looks pretty nice.

I don't like the

• C. Dickens
  • A. Dumas and
  • S. Cervantes

as much.

Cheers

Michael

The Hemingway's my favorite - well, as far as looks go anyway.

Now, I actually need to read something he's written... :embarrassed_smile:

Singapore Fountain Pen Lovers on Facebook

Some of these pen you need to see them in person. I had never seen a Hemingway but I am very sure I will like it if I did.

I am a big Hemingway fan.

Might I suggest starting with "The Old Man and the Sea", the novella that won him the Pulitzer Prize?

For a short story that I think encompasses the Hemingway theme quite nicely, try "The Short Happy Life of Francis Macomber".

I read "The Sun Also Rises" in high school (back in the 1970s!) but I didn't read "A Farewell To Arms" until last year. I recommend both.

I have to say, that my most sought after writer's series was finally the Hemingway, but I still cannot tear myself away from the sheer classic beauty of the Agatha Christie.

So the Christie gets my vote, followed by the Hemingway, and in third, contrary to popular regard, the Dickens.

Merry Xmas all :thumbup:

Bren