My new Taccia

ht1

I wanted to buy a new pen for Christmas, and I wanted something I've never tried. Several pens were interesting and appealing, but I just didn't see anything I was certain that I wanted. Then I received an email from Swisherpens about a clearance on the Taccia Swisher Exclusive fountain pens. Neither of the two styles were what I would normally choose, but the price just said I had to have one. In the pictures I liked the mint stripe the best, but I was afraid that the mint would be a different shade in real life. I chose the desert swirl with a fine point. Not the best looking pen (looks like the old peanut butter log candy), but everything else is great. It's a larger sized pen, it's lightweight, and it's well-balanced. I loaded it with a 3:1 mixture of Noodler's Upper Ganges Blue and Noodler's Blacktop Black and it writes as smooth as butter. I'm definitely having a great time with my new pen.

ht

Edited by ht1

• Replies 28
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• ht1

• RLTodd

• John Cullen

• FrankB

I went with the Mint Stripe and I love it. It is a little on the large side, but you're right about its light weight so it's not really a problem.

Bill Sexauer
http://bulk-share.slickpic.com/album/share/zyNIMDOgTcgMOO/5768697.0/org/p/PCA+++Logo+small.jpghttp://bulk-share.slickpic.com/album/share/zyNIMDOgTcgMOO/5768694.0/org/p/Blk+Pen+Society+Icon.jpghttp://bulk-share.slickpic.com/album/share/TE3TzMUAMMYyNM/8484890.0/300/p/CP04_Black_Legend%2C_Small.jpg
PCA Member since 2006

I agree it is an exceptionally find writing pen. Although the Desert Swirl pictured is quite close to the actual pen the Mint is much darker.

As far as the design goes I appreciate the austerity, the simplicity of line.

YMMV

I may have to check into buying the mint stripe, too. Does it look like the picture on the website? I was afraid the stripe would be too light in color.

ht

I was posting at the same time and did not see the post about the mint being darker. I will definitely check on the mint.

Edited by ht1

I do not like all of Taccia's models, but I have found a couple I definitely do like. In the past couple of months, I have bought an Imperial Portuguese, a Contiental and a Staccato. All of them are larger pens, Pel M-800 or Duofold Centennial size, just a tad shorter, with large size proportionate nibs. So far, My Taccias have been treating me very well and I am frankly impressed with the quality of the pens versus their cost.

The Desert Swirl looks like an old peanut butter log? That sounds like my kind of pen. I feel another Taccia coming on, so I had better check out Swisher ...

HI Glad you like your Taccia. I have looked at those on Swisher and I think the price is great. I think the Taccia steel nib is amazingly good and puts to shame many other nibs out there on the market. j

Is the Imperial Portuguese a candidate for an eyedropper conversion (are the screw on sections metal or plastic)?

Stephen

Current Favorite Inks

Noodlers La Reine Mauve Noodlers Walnut

I had considered the Continental before I bought the Swisher Exclusive. Isellpens had some great prices on the Continental and even had an overstock sale on the Jade Green fine point. I'm still enjoying the Desert Swirl. Brown is not one of my favorite colors, and it's more stripe than swirl, but it's growing on me. By "not the best looking pen" I don't mean that it's ugly, or that I don't like it. If it were gray with darker gray stripes I would think it's one of my best looking pens. I ordered the mint green today.

ht

This snap should give you a pretty good idea of what one Taccia Swisher Mint looks like. The other side of the cap is more like the barrel section you see. BTW, when I look at it the word "mint" does not come to mind. :ltcapd:

YMMV

This snap should give you a pretty good idea of what one Taccia Swisher Mint looks like. The other side of the cap is more like the barrel section you see. BTW, when I look at it the word "mint" does not come to mind. :ltcapd:

Are the lighter areas white, or are they the result of glare? On the website I thought parts of the picture were washed out from the flash. On your picture, it looks like there are white areas.

thanks...ht

Stephen wrote:

"Is the Imperial Portuguese a candidate for an eyedropper conversion (are the screw on sections metal or plastic)?"

I don't know that I would do that, but I am not a conversion expert. The threads are plastic, but there is no room for an "O" ring or sealant.

Yes, as it shows, white, black, and olive. If you ignore the flash reflection at the bottom of the clip, the colors are very accurate on my monitor.

afterthought.

I imagine there is quite a bit of variaton in these things because of differences in the pieces of rod stock. Or not.

Edited by RLTodd

YMMV

Yes, as it shows, white, black, and olive. If you ignore the flash reflection at the bottom of the clip, the colors are very accurate on my monitor.

afterthought.

I imagine there is quite a bit of variaton in these things because of differences in the pieces of rod stock. Or not.

Thanks. I'm sure there may be some variations, but it's probably more in the amount of each color rather than the shade of the color. This has been very helpful. I was still a little uncertain whether I would like the pen, but this has helped to relieve that uncertainty.

ht

Personally, I do not find it an attractive color combination and if they picture had accurately reflected its appearance I would have passed it by for the Desert Swirl. But after getting and trying it I was so pleased with its performance that I have come to accommodate with its appearance. Later I also purchased a Desert Swirl. For me, they are a pen that I really enjoy using. BTW, I believe they were a batch order by Swisher and are being cleared out of stock.

It will be interesting to see if any of these turn up on the secondary market.

YMMV

Personally, I do not find it an attractive color combination and if they picture had accurately reflected its appearance I would have passed it by for the Desert Swirl. But after getting and trying it I was so pleased with its performance that I have come to accommodate with its appearance. Later I also purchased a Desert Swirl. For me, they are a pen that I really enjoy using. BTW, I believe they were a batch order by Swisher and are being cleared out of stock.

It will be interesting to see if any of these turn up on the secondary market.

The email I received said it was a clearance sale. Neither of the two pens have the color combination that I would choose if there were other choices, but I enjoy writing with the one I have now.

ht

I have 6 of the various Taccia lines. I love them all. I have the blue version like the one you bought and it writes wonderfully in a wet medium. I bought one in brown with a gold nib from Richard Binder that he sponsored and had him tweak it and 4 others.

Edited by hardyb

The Danitrio Fellowship

I have a couple Taccia Staccato's with gold nibs. Well balanced and impressive. The Starry Night is an eye catcher. Also, excellent support from the company.