If you could have only 1 MB pen what would it be ?

goodguy

...no vintage votes so far?

Here we go: a late all celluloid 139 for me :-)

A vintage celluloid 149 is close to my first choice as well as the Medici LE, a modern 1990's Sterling Silver 146 or a vintage green striped celluloid 146.

Cheers

Michael

I was surprised that it took so long for someone to mention the 139. That would definitely be my choice if I could only have 1 MB. I have, and enjoy, a 149, but it doesn't hold a candle to the 139.

Best regards, greg

Don't feel bad. I'm old; I'm meh about most things.

• Replies 150
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• goodguy

• Blade Runner

• FredRydr

• QM2

...no vintage votes so far?

Here we go: a late all celluloid 139 for me :-)

A vintage celluloid 149 is close to my first choice as well as the Medici LE, a modern 1990's Sterling Silver 146 or a vintage green striped celluloid 146.

Cheers

Michael

I was surprised that it took so long for someone to mention the 139. That would definitely be my choice if I could only have 1 MB. I have, and enjoy, a 149, but it doesn't hold a candle to the 139.

Best regards, greg

I'm with Michael and Greg on this one, a 139 is certainly one of the Montblanc's I'm after and if I could have one and only one it would probably be it, either that or a Platinum lined/swirl 128. Well there are a few other models that I drool at when I'm lucky enought to see them, I believe one model is the L36 from the 30's with a long cone top that extends more then an inch in length and with several beautiful coloured combinations that were available. I remember seeing just a barrel for one some years ago in blue/bronze marble that went north of $1000 and finding a cap would be near impossible. Montblanc made some exceptional vintage pens, sadly many of them are well out of my price range!

Pearce.

Modern: Hemingway set

The Hemingway is a great choice! Mainly because it looks like the 139 and because of its great color combination of dark brown and orange. Plus it has a certain vintage flair because MB didn't polish those pens to a high gloss but rather treated the surface to look kind of "used" and matte.

Vintage: A set in green striped celluloid, but with a 146 in this material instead of the 142 (or a 149, if they made one, but I don't know if they did). Mmm yeah.... B)

Unfortunately no colored celluloid 149s have been sold (and made); only the smaller 142, 144 and 146 size.

I'm with Michael and Greg on this one, a 139 is certainly one of the Montblanc's I'm after...

Did you know that Brad Torelli makes nice custom MB 139 pens from all sorts of materials?

A dark green MB 139 transparent demonstrator would be so much fun! Anybody knows how much he would charge for such a pen?

Cheers

Michael

I've thought about this for a few days now and am having a hard time deciding between my MB139 or my very early MB149. Both are icons, and both write tremendously. :thumbup:

Regards, Eric

Hard times don't last, but hard people do.

Thank a Veteran.

Since no one has mentioned it, the Alexander von Humboldt, definitely has my eye. Being a marine type, I could stare at that nib all day.

We can trust the heart of a man by his treatment of animals. - Immanual Kant

I would gues from a collectors standpoint the 149 would have to be "the" pen to own....but I am falling for some of the vintage pieces like the 14, the 24, 32, etc.... To me these have a very 1950-1960 feel about them, traditional styling but a bit of late 50s modernism to them.

If I had to sell all my MBs except one it would be a vintage model and not from the 14x series.

Tony

Me too!

I would keep the 14. Or maybe the 252?

MB149 with KBBB. :rolleyes:

Maybe you can explain the desire for MB's "K" nibs ?! I know they are more rare and sell for more but I really prefere the regular "straight" nibs from the 40's-50's which sometimes even have a slight "stub" character while I personally think the "K" nibs are pretty boring (no offense meant, just my personal preference :) )

Cheers

Michael

The "K" (kugel = "ball") nib is great if you tend to roll your pen around its axis when writing. Standard broad nibs, and especially stub and italic nibs, tend to have problems if you don't apply them flat to the paper all the time.

-- Joel -- "I collect expensive and time-consuming hobbies."

INK (noun): A villainous compound of tannogallate of iron, gum-arabic and water,

chiefly used to facilitate the infection of idiocy and promote intellectual crime.

(from The Devil's Dictionary, by Ambrose Bierce)

This one:

http://i4.photobucket.com/albums/y126/flea77/ramses.gif

Ramses II Legrand Vermil

Allan

I agreed with Allan. It will be my choice also.

Kurt

Edited by sclt45

This one:

http://i4.photobucket.com/albums/y126/flea77/ramses.gif

Ramses II Legrand Vermil

Allan

This is a nice pen but I'd prefere the green malachite czar nokolai (which is very similar just different colors).

Originally I wanted the silver/green version but the metal parts are "only" palladium plated brass while the golden version is gold plated silver (vermeill); I would have bought the pen if it would have been just plain silver "sterling silver" :-(

...but I still like the looks a lot!

Cheers

Michael

I'm in the 139 camp, although I think I'd probably jump through a few hoops to find an early 146 (if I could find an early one with silver furniture...all the better - but I doubt that this exists). I wrote with J English Smith's 146 not so long ago, and found it to be nearly perfect for my hand. Loved that pen.

http://farm2.static.flickr.com/1118/726404937_328386ddc6_o.jpg

Brassing Adds Character: Available by clicking on my signature.

If you could have only 1 MB pen what would it be ? Would it be a pen from the Masterpiece family or maybe a writer series pen ? Any of the other LE pens MB made ?

Do you accept answers from people who do not own fountain pens of Montblanc at all?

I think it would be some of those Meisterstücks. I would start choosing process from the biggest model and go to smaller and smaller until I would find something that feels good in my hand when writing with it. I guess searching would end quite soon, because I have quite big hands. I would not dare to carry it; I would keep that pen in my pen cup and write with that pen only when sitting in front of my writing desk. I would definitely not want to drop it accidentally, because I have heard enough horror stories about cracking of that precious resin. But dropping does no good to other pens, either.

Also Starwalker in blue color would be interesting or maybe even Franz Kafka. :puddle:

Edited by juhtolv

Juhapekka “naula” TOLVANEN * The Nerd in Black * http://iki.fi/juhtolv

ユハペッカ・「ナウラ」・トルワネン

黒服のナード

Of course we accept answers from non-MB owners! I only wish I had an extra MB or two to send out on loan! I'd even send to Finland, no problem... B)

I think the delicacy of the resin pens is a little overstated. My dad has been carrying a 149 in his shirt pocket every day for 40 years (or clipped where the buttons are on shirts without pockets). Just be careful not to drop the pen onto a cement floor or something (he did damage the cap when it fell to cement, long ago).

Edited by Kalessin

INK (noun): A villainous compound of tannogallate of iron, gum-arabic and water,

chiefly used to facilitate the infection of idiocy and promote intellectual crime.

I think the delicacy of the resin pens is a little overstated. My dad has been carrying a 149 in his shirt pocket every day for 40 years (or clipped where the buttons are on shirts without pockets).

AFAIK MB Meisterstücks were made of some other material 40 years ago:

http://www.pentrace.net/penbase/Data_Retur...icle.asp?id=405

Juhapekka “naula” TOLVANEN * The Nerd in Black * http://iki.fi/juhtolv

ユハペッカ・「ナウラ」・トルワネン

黒服のナード

It's definitely made from resin plastic, not a celluloid model. It's got the plastic threads visible when the knob is unscrewed, half-grooved feed, and a two-tone nib marked 14c. My mother bought it for him in 1968, so I misspoke, it's just shy of 40 years old.