Moderation

James Pickering

Here is my approach to moderating the Penmanship section of this Forum:

I check the section as often as I am able during each day, first, to see if there are any new postings -- these I visit and add comments or answer questions as appropriate. Second, I check the number of views for each instructional/informational topic I personally originate to see if the visitation rate indicates that there is sufficient interest to justify additional postings by me relating to that topic.

I am always extremely busy fulfilling calligraphic and bookbinding commitments. Additionally, my "Practical Italic Handwriting" web pages attract a large number of visitors who, in turn, generate a considerable amount of e-mail and snail-mail correspondence which often requires painstaking and exhaustive replies. But I don't mind doing that for people who exhibit a genuine interest, for one of my greatest passions is fine handwriting and I am committed to giving back as much as possible to this pursuit which has provided me so much satisfaction and pleasure throughout my lifetime.

All of the time and effort is worth it when I receive a letter or message like the following .....

http://www.jp29.org/cal101.jpg

http://www.jp29.org/cal102.jpg

(used with permission of Mr. Shaffer)

I think Jeffrey's handwriting is eminently clear and legible -- I can tell he is going to become a dedicated and accomplished practitioner of Italic handwriting.

Edited by James Pickering

• Replies 13
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Free Citizen

• JDShaffer

• James Pickering

• Leslie J.

Top Posters In This Topic

Wonderful! And, for what it's worth, I greatly appreciate your efforts here. I am not one of those folks you would want to spend much time on. Too inconsistent with my practice efforts. But I do love seeing your work and the work of others in addition to reading and learning what I can when I can.

Regards,

KCat
Save animal lives - support your local animal shelter

My personal blog https://kcdockalscribbling.com

My nature blog https://kcbeachscribbles.com
Venerable are letters, infinitely brave, forlorn, and lost. V. Woolf, Jacob's Room

The Penmanship forum is probably my favourite forum to lurk in. James, I read and view every post here. You are such an inspiration. Thank you for your contributions.

Never lie to your dog.

James, that is a superb sampler from your admirer. You must tell Mr. Shaffer about FPN :) We are all aware of your busy schedule. You need not log in purposely to check on this site. If you subscribe to this forum which can be done at the bottom of the forum page, you will be notified by mail when there is a new posting to your forum. This a time saving feature I like about this site.

T-H Lim

Life is short, so make the best of it while we still have it.

James, thank you for all your hard work on FPN. Your handwriting samples are a joy to read :) I remember Jeffrey Shaffer from Pentrace---I kidded him about his last name because it sounds like "Sheaffer" and I am a Sheaffer collector. Nice to see that he has made good (and quick!) use of your handwriting improvement techniques!

Hello, all. I am very honored that Mr. Pickering felt my letter (and penmanship) decent enough to display on this forum. But even more so, I am thankful to him for his wonderful website on "Practical Italic Handwriting" as well as introducing me to this Forum (which he did only about 10 minutes ago.)

I am happy to see such a large board full of information and fellow enthusiasts. I'll definitely have to spend some time and look around!

Cheers,

Jeffrey D. Shaffer

Guest Denis Richard
Hello, all. I am very honored that Mr. Pickering felt my letter (and penmanship) decent enough to display on this forum. But even more so, I am thankful to him for his wonderful website on "Practical Italic Handwriting" as well as introducing me to this Forum (which he did only about 10 minutes ago.)

I am happy to see such a large board full of information and fellow enthusiasts. I'll definitely have to spend some time and look around!

Cheers,

Jeffrey D. Shaffer

Hi Jeffrey,

welcome to FPN !

We are all lucky that James takes the time to share his expertise with us. He is an asset to the community and to this forum.

Denis.

Yes indeed, a very warm welcome to you, Jeffrey. I am sure you will like the friendly atmosphere here. This site will be much enriched by your participation I am sure. So, feel free to browse around and make yourself at home :)

T-H Lim

Mr. Shaffer has done a magnificent job ... since he has yet to apply his progress to his own signature, I'd suggest that he do so forthwith. Signatures in the USA or elsewhere do not (as far as lawyers and I can determine) require a specific "cursive" style of writing (elementary-school teachers' statements to the contrary have, apparently, no legal basis), no obstacle exists to writing "Jerry Shaffer" as elegantly as any other words.

(Yes, when I upgraded my signature I did have to make out an additional signature-card for the bank - I asked to leave the old card in the file, too, in case of any outstanding checks. But I would have had to do the same, had my signature significantly deteriorated rather than improving. People who go blind, lose an arm, etc., routinely have to do this. Those whose handwriting improves have every right to the same consideration, and will - in my experience and in the experience of my students - receive it if they ask.)

Kate Gladstone - Handwriting Repair

kate@global2000.net

http://www.global2000.net/handwritingrepair

325 South Manning Boulevard

Albany, New York 12208-1731 USA

telephone 518/482-6763

AND REMEMBER ...

you can order books through my site!

(Amazon.com link -

I get a 5% - 15% commission on each book sold)

Hi Kate, glad to see you back here again. How was your Thanksgiving? I see that you are into repairing signatures too :) I'll keep that in mind. How about inviting some of your students to participate here. The more variety we have the merrier. Don't you agree? I do hope you continue to post here as often as you can. James would appreciate it I am sure.

T-H Lim

Hello, Ms. Gladstone. Thank you for your suggestion and of course you're entirely right! Just in the last few days I've been starting to experiment with a new signature. Mostly I have used an artist's signature at the end of everything apart from formal letters. My artist's signature is mostly a quick-fancy J with a stylistic S added to it. But I have been moving towards using more Chancery Italics for a nice "Jds" effect (as I typically sign e-mails and posts. Only this week have I ventured into changing my entire signature, though I feel a bit strange in altering it!

However, I do not have any problems with the bank as I don't write checks. And living and working here in Japan, everything depends upon your name STAMP (official seal), so a signature is never required. Strange, but true! :blink:

Cheers to all and thank you, Ms. Gladstone!

Jds

However, I do not have any problems with the bank as I don't write checks. And living and working here in Japan, everything depends upon your name STAMP (official seal), so a signature is never required. Strange, but true! :blink:

I have heard about this. I wonder what happens if you stamp is stolen. Will the thief be able clean your accounts out?

T-H Lim

Yes, if your stamp is stolen, and you're not aware of it... severe damage could follow. However, to take money out of hte bank, they'd need your bank book as well... so, let's say someone breaks into your house and manages to find your bank book and your stamp, they could literally wipe out all your savings that afternoon.

So, it's important to keep your stamp either WITH YOU, or quite separate from the bank book, or have more than one stamp. People often have an "every day" stamp for, say, "signing" for packages at the door, while having an "official" one for business. If you have two, a theif would have to guess which is the "important" one. :-)

Cheers,

Jeffrey