Lamy Safari or Pelikan Future?

hobbes

Both of these pens have been heavily recommended here, I'm kind've torn between them. I had always found myself preferring the style of more traditional-looking pens but at this point I'm more about form following function and these are both great writers from what people say. I'm writing more on Krane's lately and the main pen I have (a Wality 77C), which is very responsive on Clairefontaine and filler paper, gives a light, spotty line unless I add more pressure. My Pilot Varsities glide right across with nice thick wet lines, though, and I'm searching for an inexpensive pen that can do the same. (Or could it be the difference in ink? I've been using Noodler's Black, Walnut, and Legal Lapis in the Wality, don't know what kind of ink's in the Varsities but I've tried black and blue and they write about the same except the blue feathers more)

How do the Lamy Safari and Pelikan Future compare to one another? Is one drier than the other? I'm figuring a wetter nib will better overcome the uneven surface of the paper, and I like wet nibs better anyway. Whichever one I get I'll be using exclusively with a converter, if that makes a difference (are there better converters than others for these pens, by the way?). Are the nibs comparable in smoothness?

Thanks for any replies.

• Replies 26
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• KCat

• wimg

• Maja

• hobbes

Top Posters In This Topic

personally, i think the Safari is a far superior pen. The future feels flimsy to me and I'm not wild about the nib. But the Safari nib is a nail for sure. Maybe that's why some like the future, it has a bit of give. doesn't do much for me. it's a serviceable pen, mind you. There's nothing "wrong" with it. just think the Safari is more solid. The safari is probably drier writing than the future with fairly fat tipping on the ones i've tried. My fine felt like a M to me. It was quite smooth though, while my Futures needed a minor tweaking.

the Safari is a proprietary converter while the Future can probably use a couple of different brands. The Lamy converter is a well-made unit. no better or worse than other brand-name converters. the converters that came with my Futures did not seat snugly, but still worked fine.

the last issue is the grip - the Future grip is very comfortable while the Safari grip isn't for everyone. I found it quite comfortable but the Future is more suited to the general population. that's the one area I think it beats the Safari.

all my .02 of course. :)

KCat
Save animal lives - support your local animal shelter

My personal blog https://kcdockalscribbling.com

My nature blog https://kcbeachscribbles.com
Venerable are letters, infinitely brave, forlorn, and lost. V. Woolf, Jacob's Room

Well, it's a matter of personal taste. I prefer writing with a Pelikan Future. I think the world divides reasonably evenly into those who prefer the Safari and those who prefer the Future, so maybe you could try one of each?

I can't say I'm conscious of much difference in the quality -- the plastics feel different, for sure, but they're both made for the school market by reputable manufacturers, so they're likely to be tough. The Safari's plastic feels a bit more rigid, though.

The one place the Safari has a clear lead is in styling. In the '70s, when it came out IIRC, it was as cool as the iPod is now, and the wire clip still has a bit of edge to it.

I'm not sure if you could generalize about which pen is more likely to give you a wet-writing sample.

You're not going to go wrong with either.

Best

Michael

not wishing to contradict, but aware that "Safari or Future" is almost as big a dividing issue as whether or not MB pens are worth the money

I like the Safari better. ;) Everyone in my family has one, and no one has trouble with the grip or the nib(s). Good reliable pen, good converter, stiff nib. The Future's converter does not seat well, is more difficult to fill through the nib, and feels "cheap".

Never lie to your dog.

not wishing to contradict, but aware that "Safari or Future" is almost as big a dividing issue as whether or not MB pens are worth the money

:D :rolleyes:

as a Pelikan nut it's hard to say I like the Lamy better. :)

KCat

Venerable are letters, infinitely brave, forlorn, and lost. V. Woolf, Jacob's Room

as as a Pelikan nut it's hard to say I like the Lamy better. :)

I had the same thought! After consideration, I'd have to say in all fairness, the Pelikan Future is probably the least representative of the general quality of Pelikan pens, even within the low end. The Pelikano and the more expensive M75 are much better examples of reliable low-end Pelikans.

Never lie to your dog.

You mentioned using Varsities. Don't forget you have the option of putting the ink of your choice in them. I've switched some Varsities over to Noodler's Gulfstream Blue and really like how they write.

I'm sure the directions on how to refill a Varsity are posted here somewhere. If you can't find them, ask for help.

good luck :)

Bill

I would've thought I would've preferred the future, but as I have both pens (6 safari's and 1 future) Ipulled them out to compare. I found the Lamy to be a smidge (alright, a smidge and a half) longer, writes a little wetter, has a sturdier clip, and has a better color pallate (for example, the future yellow is a lemon yellow and the Lamy yellow is more of a mandarin yellow; the Pelikans are a little more pastel in their colors of plastic). The Future seems to me to be more comfortable to hold, is slightly lighter, and is more pleasurable to write with. That said, if I were to choose a pen to drag around all day in a bookbag or briefcase and subject to hard usage, I might go with the Safari, but I still prefer the Future.

Of course, this is just my opinion, but then, who else's can I give?

Kj

Aunty Entity: Remember where you are - this is Thunderdome, and death is listening, and will take the first man that screams.

Hmm, I think I'll probably go with a Safari for now based on what's being said. I'll go to a pen store and try the grip and see how it feels (think a place'd let me dip test such a cheap pen?). Eventually I'll want another pen and it'll end up being a Future or a Pelikano most likely. But my collection will have to grow slowly since it comes out of my food budget, after this pen it'll be another week of beans and rice :blink:

Future. All of my safaris had very stiff, very boring nibs. No characters. Unlike Kcat, I lie the Future nib better. It is a little more responsive and has a little mroe line character.

Also, I foudn the safari grip put the nib in the wrong locations relative to my fingers. Sort of liek gripping a Rotring Core.

What everyone said about the plastic is true. Dont' care. It's all about the nib for me.

Kendall Justiniano
Who is John Galt?

Hi hobbes,

I would agree with your choice. When it comes to cheaper fountain pens from the "big brands" there currently are only 2 real competitors, at least over here, in the NL.

Lamy is no.1, and Waterman is no. 2. It all has to do with value for money. Their low end pens look good, and perform well. And Lamy is no.1 because they have a very wide nib range in their cheaper pens, too. As a result, they end up being used most at primary schools over here.

They're the only ones who really cater for lefties wth their nibs, and the nib exchange is normally free at the store.

Oh, all B&M stores over here let you at least do dip tests, even with cheaper pens.

HTH, warm regards, Wim

the Mad Dutchman
laugh a little, love a little, live a lot; laugh a lot, love a lot, live forever

Oh, I forgot:

If you want something slightly more exclusive than a Lamy Safari (yellow, red, blue, black, dark grey and very light grey), you could get a Lamy Vista, which is a transparant version of the Safari, or the Al-Star, which is a Safari with an aluminium jacket, so a metallic looking pen, in either a bright aluminium finish, a blue metallic, or a gun-grey metallic. The Vista and Safaris are the same price, the Al-Stars are a litle more expensive.

And if you want to have a really easy time writing, go for a KM or KF nib. Very smooth indeed. But yes, all Lamy nibs are nails, especially the (stainless) steel ones, whether anodized black or not.

Warm regards, Wim

the Mad Dutchman
laugh a little, love a little, live a lot; laugh a lot, love a lot, live forever

If you post your caps on the Al one, prepare for marks. The only down side is the length on the Safari, I've given 2 away as gifts.

My green Al-Star is one of my favorite pens, regardless of price. I also have a blue Al-Star, and they both have Fine nibs, but the black "furniture" (right use?) on the green one just makes it write better. :lol: (The blue one has silver-colored clip, nib, etc.) I haven't noticed any marking from posting, but I've only used them for a couple of months.

"He was born with the gift of laughter and a sense that the world was mad." - Scaramouche by Rafael Sabatini

What everyone said about the plastic is true. Dont' care. It's all about the nib for me.

yeah- i think the nib is more the deciding factor for me. I'm finding that under most circumstances, I just don't have a lot of time to deal with flexible or semi-flex nibs. of course, when I want to practice the beautiful handwriting allowed by these nibs (but that I will likely never really do well with) then I do enjoy a nib with "character". But for day-to-day, i like a nail or at least something that i don't have to think about controlling.

so i think that should be a significant deciding factor when choosing between these two pens. if you like springy nibs, the Future's the one. If you like stiff nibs, the Safari is definitely that. if this isn't a priority, then the next deciding factor is the grip.

The only nib I've found that is stiffer than the Safari is the cOre. Now there's a grip I have problems with. but that pen holds a *ton* of ink (the feed must be huge) and certainly my cOre is super smooth. But it's not a pen i'd recommend because of it's grip. The Lamy at least suits a larger population than the cOre does.

KCat

of course, when I want to practice the beautiful handwriting allowed by these nibs (but that I will likely never really do well with) then I do enjoy a nib with "character".

You are too modest. I've seen your handwriting. :rolleyes:

Kendall Justiniano
Who is John Galt?

I haven't tried the Pelikan Future, but it sounds like a good pen.

The Safari I have (italic nib) is a great pen, but I am thiking about getting one with a factory stub nib.

Anyone tried a stub nib on a Lamy Safari?

Thanks,

~Maja

P.S.

Nice to see you posting here again, kjervin! :) How is Clover, the dog you adopted a few months ago?

Anyone tried a stub nib on a Lamy Safari?

I haven't tried a stub, but you can put the section of a Lamy Joy calligraphy pen on a Safari, and that's a nice combination. I guess you could pull the nibs and exchange them, too, but I like having a pair of two-tone black and yellow pens.

Best

Michael

I went out and bought a Safari, but I'm rather disappointed. The nib seems smooth enough, but it skips terribly about once every other time I stop writing and start again (like to finish a word or to dot an i or something). I have to stop and scribble on a piece of scrap paper a few times to get it started again. This makes it completely unusable, which is unfortunate because when the ink is flowing it flows nicely. Any ideas on what might be causing the problem? It writes consistently if I write with the nib backwards.

I wounder how much a stub would increase the cost of a safari. Is it a nib swap, can you buy the section separately, or both?

Kj

Maja,

Clover is adjusting well to her new life of pampering. She has even gained a few pounds and has helped me lose a few (a good trade).

Aunty Entity: Remember where you are - this is Thunderdome, and death is listening, and will take the first man that screams.