Converting Big Red BP to a FP

benB

I don't understand the pen "Parker/Ad Pen"

It is the Ad part that confuses me.

I like the silver nib. It matches the chrome trim on the pen better than the gold nib on the Cross Solo.

In fact i'ts "AD PEN by Parker", AD Pen "like advertizing pen".

"Opinions are meant to be changed or how is the truth to be got at"

Lord Byron

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• ac12

• pajaro

• usk15

• jcfiguet

Top Posters In This Topic

In fact i'ts "AD PEN by Parker", AD Pen "like advertizing pen".

Ah, OK, so there would be a companies logo or text printed on the side of the pen.

San Francisco Pen Show - August 28-30, 2020 - Redwood City, California

www.SFPenShow.com

4 type of sections "Duofold look" are avaliable with exactly same appearence :

1°) Sections from Chinese unbranded fountain pens for IPG nibs

2°) Rosetta Sections specialy made for Jowo nibs

3°) Rosetta Sections specialy made for Schmid nibs

4°) Modified Rosetta Sections for Jowo or Schmidt nibs for other nibs like Bock, Parker Sonnet, etc... But Chinese unbranded sections can be used for some nibs like MB146. In fact it's depending of the nib thickness and in that case a good adjustement is needed for a good ink flow.

You would put any or all of these items into a Parker Big Red ballpoint?

I thought it was cute to put the Solo section and nib into a Big Red.

I thought it made more sense to replace the friction feed Cross nib with a Parker Sonnet 18K CT nib.

All the other stuff mentioned above seems like a quest to put everything but the kitchen sink into a Big Red.

"Don't hurry, don't worry. It's better to be late at the Golden Gate than to arrive in Hell on time."
--Sign in a bar and grill, Ormond Beach, Florida, 1960.

Dammitall!

I am in my "thinning the herd" mode but this thread has induced my to acquire a Cross Solo so that I can convert my pristine Big Red into a FP.

The Solo should come in a few days.

Dammitall!

"... et eritis odio omnibus propter nomen meum..."

Dammitall!

I am in my "thinning the herd" mode but this thread has induced my to acquire a Cross Solo so that I can convert my pristine Big Red into a FP.

The Solo should come in a few days.

Dammitall!

This kind of thing is fun, and it will be successful. It will encourage you perhaps to try other conversions. Putting gold nibs into Esterbrooks, for example, or moving Waterman nibs into Reform 1745s, and all manner of outrages. Have fun with it. I would like to get rid of the herd entirely, but stuff like this draws me back in and I find myself right in the middle of it again.

Edited by pajaro

"Don't hurry, don't worry. It's better to be late at the Golden Gate than to arrive in Hell on time."

I made one conversion, and I just ordered another Solo to do a 2nd conversion.

I tried to screw in the section from a Sheaffer No-Nonsense, but the threads seem to be different, and I was not going to force it in and damage either the section or the body. So I am back to the Cross Solo as the only FP conversion source.

And yes I swapped nibs in an Esterbrook nib assembly. The 2-tone nib looks pretty good.

Edited by ac12

www.SFPenShow.com

Definitely don't force an unmodified No Nonsense section into the Big Red barrel. Mine fit only after sanding away a good portion of the threads on the section. Otherwise, the section would go in only partially, and possibly get stuck.

Received my Cross Solo today - a buttery smooth broad nib. As noted, the section fits perfectly into my Big Red. Cartridge installed, and my new Big Red FP is ready for the rotation tomorrow!

"... et eritis odio omnibus propter nomen meum..."

• 1 year later...

I read a post 'someplace' that said the section from a Pilot 78G would fit a Big Red . . . it does NOT.

And just like the Sheaffer, No-Nonsense, I was not going to try forcing it.

If it did not thread in easily, it's off the list, until I figure out how to make it fit properly.

www.SFPenShow.com

It's probably just an accident that the Solo section fits the Big Red. I usually use the Big Reds as ballpoints. There does seem to be a drive here to make a fountain pen out of everything. How about a shoe? Agent 99?

I read a post 'someplace' that said the section from a Pilot 78G would fit a Big Red . . . it does NOT.

And just like the Sheaffer, No-Nonsense, I was not going to try forcing it.

If it did not thread in easily, it's off the list, until I figure out how to make it fit properly.

Here, post #20, Parker Big Red with Pilot MR/78G section without problems:

https://www.fountainpennetwork.com/forum/topic/314516-modern-big-red/

BUT, I think there are different versions of Big Red, that's why probably is not compatible with some versions. The black version from my picture is made in Brasil, but it will fit in all my other version that I had.

It's probably just an accident that the Solo section fits the Big Red. I usually use the Big Reds as ballpoints. There does seem to be a drive here to make a fountain pen out of everything. How about a shoe? Agent 99?

If you can create a better pen, why not?

Why we are using different inks other the ones recommended by pen brands? Why we use different nib sizes? Why we are changing the refills in our ballpoints other the ones that came in the pen? For a better experience of writing I guess.

My comments in this thread nearly a decade ago not withstanding, I bought this at the 2016 Ohio Pen Show last month. The pen was purchased from a guy whom I trust, and who used to work for Parker in Janesville. I'm told that it came from the Parker model shop, and was never put into production. Having been in Susan Wirth's basement and seen her collection of model shop pens, I can tell you that there is some very cool, and very weird stuff that came out of it!

The pen uses a Parker 75 nib with the thin feed. The section has a nylon bushing with a piercing tube and space for the converter at the inside end. There isn't a collector though - just a straight feed through for the feed to the converter/cartridge, indicating that though it does write, it wasn't really intended to be used. It has Parker stamped below the clip, and the arrow and circle, with Made in USA on the back side. My understanding is that some but not all of the Big Reds had the imprints. Having been a fan of the Big Reds from my highschool days, I couldn't resist.

http://www.mainstreetpens.com/pix/BigRedFP.jpg

spacer.png
Visit Main Street Pens
A full service pen shop providing professional, thoughtful vintage pen repair...

Please use email, not a PM for repair and pen purchase inquiries.

Ron,

That is a cool one

www.SFPenShow.com