Converting Big Red BP to a FP

benB

This kind of thing is such fun.

"Don't hurry, don't worry. It's better to be late at the Golden Gate than to arrive in Hell on time."
--Sign in a bar and grill, Ormond Beach, Florida, 1960.

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• ac12

• pajaro

• usk15

• jcfiguet

Top Posters In This Topic

This idea of converting the Big Red rollerball has me "hooked." But I suspect I am not really going to be happy with the Cross nib when I prefer larger sized nibs (stubs.) Since I am already creating my own "Frankenpen" is it possible to

(1.) purchase the Cross Solo pen to acquire the "nib unit" to use in the Big Red

( 2.) THEN order a replacement nib from Goulets to replace the Cross nib? This is the part that I am unsure about because I doubt they will be very knowledgable about a pen that is discontinued & they only recently began offering the Cross line. Would a #6 nib fit? If the Sonnet's nib fit it seems like something else would surely work but I don't know what to ask for.

The Goulet nibs are pretty nice for $15.00( but they are only available in the #6 size) & Amazon has a Solo for $25. (+ shipping) so if this would work it would be nice see the pen find some use for not a lot of money. I appreciate any suggestions and thank you for whatever thoughts you have.

The Solo on Amazon (if it is the same one that I looked at) is a Japanese F nib. I passed on that because of the nib size.

Although if you are going to swap the nib out, then it makes no difference what is in the pen. Unless the feed is different for the different nib sizes.

Edited by ac12

San Francisco Pen Show - August 28-30, 2020 - Redwood City, California

www.SFPenShow.com

The Cross Solo nib and section can work without problem, but the Cross Solo section doesn't look like the Duofold sections nor the Big Red sections...

Sections differences :
http://www.jcfiguet.com/images/Ebay/compare-big_red.jpg

Edited by jcfiguet

"Opinions are meant to be changed or how is the truth to be got at"

Lord Byron

The Solo section in the Big Red ballpoint barrel looks better with a Parker nib. The 18K rhodium plated Sonnet medium nib works with the steel furniture of the Big Red.

"Don't hurry, don't worry. It's better to be late at the Golden Gate than to arrive in Hell on time."

HEY IT WORKED !!!

I just picked up a Cross Solo and the section screwed right into the Parker barrel like it was made for it.

I just gotta remember that the pen has a Cross section, not a Parker section. So I won't try to put a Parker cartridge/converter into the pen.

Thanks guys.

Edited by ac12

www.SFPenShow.com

I did the same thing and was thrilled with it. I did manage to buy the Cross with a broad nib though and it is a fine and wonderful pen. Only sad I didn't get to give it (again as a fountain pen) to my dad. <3

It's for Yew!bastardchildlil.jpg

Sections differences :http://www.jcfiguet.com/images/Ebay/compare-big_red.jpg

Which section did you use to add the iridium nib?

What kind of mods were done to the cap and barrel to accommodate the nib and converter?

I've been using a modified Sheaffer No-Nonsense nib and section for mine, but am curious about other options aside from that or the Solo.

Edited by spaceink

Which section did you use to add the iridium nib?

What kind of mods were done to the cap and barrel to accommodate the nib and converter?

I've been using a modified Sheaffer No-Nonsense nib and section for mine, but am curious about other options aside from that or the Solo.

4 type of sections "Duofold look" are avaliable with exactly same appearence :

1°) Sections from Chinese unbranded fountain pens for IPG nibs

2°) Rosetta Sections specialy made for Jowo nibs

3°) Rosetta Sections specialy made for Schmid nibs

4°) Modified Rosetta Sections for Jowo or Schmidt nibs for other nibs like Bock, Parker Sonnet, etc... But Chinese unbranded sections can be used for some nibs like MB146. In fact it's depending of the nib thickness and in that case a good adjustement is needed for a good ink flow.

"Opinions are meant to be changed or how is the truth to be got at"

Lord Byron

Nothing was done to the pen for the Cross Solo section/nib.

- The cap just screws right on, does not touch the Cross nib.

- Similarly, the body slides right over the converter and screws onto the section.

What did you modify on the Sheaffer NN section to make it fit the BR bp?

www.SFPenShow.com

Awesome, thanks for the rundown. Going to try out that route.

For the Sheaffer nib, I sanded away the lower threads until it fit and there was no gap between the section and barrel.

My usual converters often prove too long for the Big Red barrel. I shortened one and fitted that on a Sheaffer cartridge end, in order to get a converter that fits. Most times I usually use and reuse short international cartridges, which I've found to fit well on the No Nonsense nib nipple.

Edited by spaceink

The Solo on Amazon (if it is the same one that I looked at) is a Japanese F nib. I passed on that because of the nib size.

Although if you are going to swap the nib out, then it makes no difference what is in the pen. Unless the feed is different for the different nib sizes.

I had asked the seller (Jma3153) if a "broad" nib was available & he replied that indeed there was. I ordered, it was received this morning & indeed it is a successful "marriage" between Big Red & Solo. Sadly the gold plated nib would be nicer if it were only steel to match the trim on the BR but the trim only exists on the cap so after removal it certainly doesn't bother me. I recently ordered a steel nib to use on a Twsbi Micarta because I felt the nib suited the pen better even IF it has a "gold" plated clip. Neither of these pens will be candidates for "Pen Shows" so I am the only one they need please.

My happiness in making this pen marriage/conversion is only surpassed by the willingness of this Amazon seller who responded to an inquiry & hence made this possible. Amazing when an "online seller" (thru Amazon) proves that "service" is possible from many sources & not only from the traditional "brick & mortar" dealers.

My Big Red and Cross Solo:

14747963543_ec311ebe4e_c.jpg

15232416298_c99edbdd70_c.jpg

I really like that Queen's Jubilee pen.

I had asked the seller (Jma3153) if a "broad" nib was available & he replied that indeed there was. I ordered, it was received this morning & indeed it is a successful "marriage" between Big Red & Solo. Sadly the gold plated nib would be nicer if it were only steel to match the trim on the BR but the trim only exists on the cap so after removal it certainly doesn't bother me. I recently ordered a steel nib to use on a Twsbi Micarta because I felt the nib suited the pen better even IF it has a "gold" plated clip. Neither of these pens will be candidates for "Pen Shows" so I am the only one they need please.

My happiness in making this pen marriage/conversion is only surpassed by the willingness of this Amazon seller who responded to an inquiry & hence made this possible. Amazing when an "online seller" (thru Amazon) proves that "service" is possible from many sources & not only from the traditional "brick & mortar" dealers.

A Sonnet steel or 18K rhodium plated nib will fit in the Solo section with the Solo feed. This opens your options up to some different types of nib.

Edited by pajaro

I really like that Queen's Jubilee pen.

Thank you! It's limited edition, nice dark blue pen.

I contacted the ebay seller (http://stores.ebay.fr/Mzombar-Store/) during last week and I bought a green Parker/Ad Pen converted to Fountain Pen. It works perfectly. I think I will change the nib, because I prefere the FH452 Schmidt which is a bit more flexible.

I don't understand the pen "Parker/Ad Pen"

It is the Ad part that confuses me.

I like the silver nib. It matches the chrome trim on the pen better than the gold nib on the Cross Solo.

www.SFPenShow.com

My Big Red and Cross Solo:

14747963543_ec311ebe4e_c.jpg

15232416298_c99edbdd70_c.jpg

I like how the gold Cross nib matches the gold trim on the pen.

ooooo an E-type. Never mind the pen, I want the car.

www.SFPenShow.com

I don't understand the pen "Parker/Ad Pen"

It is the Ad part that confuses me.

I think it was called AD Pen because it was meant for advertising. Check the EBay to see many of them has some company's logo.

I like how the gold Cross nib matches the gold trim on the pen.

ooooo an E-type. Never mind the pen, I want the car.

:D