Rescuing a nib caked with dried ink

sph33r

I just purchased an Esterbrook J from ebay that was advertised as being "in working order". Naturally, it's not. The entire area under the cap was caked in red ink. I was able to clean most of it off and I can deal with the red ink stains on the threads of the body and on the tail where someone posted it.. but I can't deal with the nib being caked with ink.

I'm not really familiar with the Estie nibs.. this one screws out easily but I don't know if I can get it apart any further. The ribs under the nib are caked solid with red ink and I can see red ink residue in the underside of the metal nib. I've soaked it overnight with very little results. I'm going to try using some ammonia tonight after work but I'm not sure even that will save it.

Is there anything I can do short of purchasing a new nib for this pen? Dare I try to find something small to scrape the ink from the slits in the feed?

Thanks!

Edited by sph33r

- Brad -

• Replies 17
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• sph33r

• southpaw

• Ron Z

• Paddler

Top Posters In This Topic

First, congrats on your new Estie! Second, don't worry. Third, have patience.

I would recommend immersing the nib up to and just covering the bottom of the section in a cup of cold water and letting it soak over night. You'll be amazed how much good it will do. The next day, take the nib and wash it under running water and, with a soft bristled toothbrush, gently brush the feed in a direction parallel to the feed slits. Repeat the overnight soak. If you want to, add a drop or two of mild dish soap to the water. If you've got a low power ultrasonic cleaner, you can give it a go.

Esties are tough. Many have come back from FAR worse that some dried ink. I'm sure it'll be up and running shortly.

HTH, southpaw

EDIT: Just noticed this was your first post. WELCOME to the FP Nuthouse!

Edited by southpaw
"But God demonstrates His own love toward us, in that while we were still sinners, Christ died for us." (Rom. 5:8, NKJV)

Southpaw's suggestions should work great on an Estie. They are hardy and great beginner pens (that's my level). If for some reason the dried ink is NOT fountain pen ink - it's possible someone used ink with either acrylic or shellac in it (a big no-no) - I've read where others suggest trying Koh-i-noor cleaner. You might also find this FPN post helpful: https://www.fountainpennetwork.com/forum/in...p;hl=koh-i-noor

[edited because sentences make more sense when there's a verb]

Edited by kudzu

Kudzu

"I am a galley slave to pen and ink." ~Honore de Balzac

Happy Pan Pacific Pen Club Member!

If you've got something narrow, like an aquavit glass, to stand the pen in and feel like wasting some ink, soaking in ink does a pretty good job of loosening old ink. There's also the 1:10 ammonia in water solution, but I wouldn't suggest overnight (mainly through pack of serious experience with Esties-- only two, both with pretty clean nibs).

Ravensmarch Pens & Books
It's mainly pens, just now....

Oh, good heavens. He's got a blog now, too.

fpn_1465330536__hwabutton.jpg

Since you are able to remove the nib unit, I'd soak that by itself in any solution you have for cleaning (water alone, slightly soapy water, water/ammonia, or water/soap/ammonia) The soap required is dish soap 1 drop to a glass (or more) full, ammonia 10% etc. etc.).

It's best if you have an ultrasonic cleaner, but you probably don't so just soak with perhaps gentle agitation.

If you can scout up a Radio Shack desoldering bulb, removing the nylon insert reveals a hole just the right size to hold the Estie nib. You then can power flush the nib with the solution. A Pharmacy might also carry an infant ear cleaning bulb that can be used.

The Estie nib can be dissassembled, but that's a project for an intermediate hobbiest, and does have a failure rate. So, no, I wouldn't recommend this for now.

After cleaning, put the nib back into the pen and cycle the cleaning solution through the assembled pen in the normal filling process. Several times, noting that the fluid comes through the hole in the top of the nib as well as from the feed. Then rinse with clean water many times. Then, if all appears normal, fill with ink and enjoy.

Regards,

Gerry

I get my pens from flea markets and yard sales. Most of them come with ink dried inside. When I find one just totally caked with ink, I put the nib/feed/section in a 35mm film cannister, fill the cannister nearly full of 1:10 ammonia and water, and seal it up with duct tape. Then I duct tape the cannister in a horizontal position to one of the control arms on my car and drive around awhile. It's the poor man's ultrasonic cleaner. Works well for me.

Paddler

Can a calculator understand a cash register?

If you've got something narrow, like an aquavit glass, to stand the pen in and feel like wasting some ink, soaking in ink does a pretty good job of loosening old ink. There's also the 1:10 ammonia in water solution, but I wouldn't suggest overnight (mainly through pack of serious experience with Esties-- only two, both with pretty clean nibs).

Now I'm going to have to Google aquavit glass.

Watermans Flex Club & Sheaffer Lifetime Society Member

I get my pens from flea markets and yard sales. Most of them come with ink dried inside. When I find one just totally caked with ink, I put the nib/feed/section in a 35mm film cannister, fill the cannister nearly full of 1:10 ammonia and water, and seal it up with duct tape. Then I duct tape the cannister in a horizontal position to one of the control arms on my car and drive around awhile. It's the poor man's ultrasonic cleaner. Works well for me.

Paddler

:roflmho: That's ingenuity!

- Brad -

[...] I duct tape the cannister in a horizontal position to one of the control arms on my car and drive around awhile. It's the poor man's ultrasonic cleaner. Works well for me.

Good lord man, how fast do you drive? :ltcapd:

[...] I duct tape the cannister in a horizontal position to one of the control arms on my car and drive around awhile. It's the poor man's ultrasonic cleaner. Works well for me.

I believe that's called agitation - and agitated would be how his passengers feel if he's driving that fast. :yikes:

spacer.png
Visit Main Street Pens
A full service pen shop providing professional, thoughtful vintage pen repair...

Please use email, not a PM for repair and pen purchase inquiries.

Well I'm happy to report that the toothbrush idea worked fantastically. It was so simple, I should have thought of it! I still have some cleaning to do but the nib looks 10 times better already.

Thanks for the help everyone!

- Brad -

Actually, you don't need to drive fast. You just need some potholes and a couple of railroad crossings. :bunny01:

Paddler

Can a calculator understand a cash register?

Actually, you don't need to drive fast. You just need some potholes and a couple of railroad crossings. :bunny01:

Paddler

So, I guess for a really nasty pen, you could duct tape it to the engine of a 737 and send it cross country? Great stuff that duct tape.

May we live, not by our fears but by our hopes; not by our words but by our deeds; not by our disappointments but by our dreams.

Paddler

But an ultrasonic is much cheaper than a realignment of my car's front end. :rolleyes:

spacer.png
Visit Main Street Pens
A full service pen shop providing professional, thoughtful vintage pen repair...

Please use email, not a PM for repair and pen purchase inquiries.

If you live in Michigan, you can't keep your car aligned properly anyway because there's potholes everywhere. If I ever run into a super stubborn nib, I'm going to try Paddler's idea. :D

I am happy to report that I inked the pen this morning and the nib is working splendidly. The 1555 is pretty scratchy but it seems to have better ink flow than my meager collection of cheap pens. It forces me to keep the pen barely touching the paper which is something I need to focus on anyway. :)

- Brad -

You might need to hunt down a nice replacement nib for your Estie. My personal favorite is the 2668 - a medium firm general writing nib. Go to: http://www.snyderfamily.com/current/estienibs.htm to see all the choices and then check around ebay or dealers such as http://www.pendemonium.com/ for a selection of NOS Estie nibs.

May we live, not by our fears but by our hopes; not by our words but by our deeds; not by our disappointments but by our dreams.

Well I'm happy to report that the toothbrush idea worked fantastically. It was so simple, I should have thought of it! I still have some cleaning to do but the nib looks 10 times better already.

Thanks for the help everyone!

Glad to hear it's working. Keep at it. Let us know the final results and, if you can, post before and after photos.

"But God demonstrates His own love toward us, in that while we were still sinners, Christ died for us." (Rom. 5:8, NKJV)