What is the best way to ship internationally?

TMann

Alright, everyone, I need your help. I want to try and educate myself and make myself into a better, more well-rounded individual. I am going to try and become familiar with the subtle nuances of...drum roll, please...International Shipping!

The reason that I am posting is that I was hit with a "mini-flame" over on the Green Board regarding the issue of selling internationally. A couple of posters took me to task for stating that I was only interested in selling in the "CONUS", ie. CONtinental U.S. Selling domestically is something that I've done for a while, after having a bad experience with Canadian duties when selling some electronics equipment, (you can read about my problems at this link here.) So while I disagree with the people who were upset with me, I do understand their frustration when so many people are afraid to ship out of the U.S.

So...I've decided that would be a good opportunity for me to "expand my horizons," and learn how to sell internationally in such a way that minimizes the risk and hassle.

So here are my questions:

1. What is the best shipping company to use when shipping from the U.S. to other countries?

2. Are there any countries that require the buyer to pay tariffs or duties when items are imported?

3. What is a typical shipping cost when shipping form the U.S. to Europe? To Asia? To South America?

Any other helpful tips from experienced sellers would be appreciated.

Thanks!

TMann

Edited by TMann

• Replies 5
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• KendallJ

• Susanna

• Michael Wright

• TMann

Top Posters In This Topic

I have only shipped internationally once. to the UK. I shipped via USPostal Airmail letter post, and it was a pen. Cost was $3 I think (no extras). Worked well. Yes you have to declare the customs value, which I downgraded. I dont' know if my buyer was charged much or not. You'll have to do that no matter what.

If it was International Priority mail, the charge would have been $8.

I ship pens in a padded envelope, pen sealed in a length of PVC piping for protection. I think that is what caused it to be a Letter post charge rather than a Priority Mail package.

I have not used a shipping compnay for overseas yet.

Kendall Justiniano
Who is John Galt?

Guest Denis Richard

Hi TMann,

the answers are from a not so extensive experience. I'll be glad to know if I am mistaking on anything when others reply.

1- I go with USPS, because it is the most convenient for me, and I am under the impression that all the others are more expensive for international. The only thing that drives me nuts with them is their website. Not once have I been able to get the same quote online than what it ended up being at the post office.

2- I think basically all country have duties and taxes on imported goods, to be paid by the buyer. They just don't/can't open all packages that go through the mailing system. I saw a report years ago about the French customs at a Parisian airport, where two or three officers where in front of a packages entering the country, passing in front of them like cars on a highway. They picked some, based on some vague criteria (size was one I think... big packages get pick up more often) and also randomly. I don't know how t works in other countries. It seems that Canada on the other side has more officers than packages :P and picks everything.

3- I've shipped pens to Europe and bigger packages for the nephew and niece. Depending on the service you choose, I think you can get a pen there (without pen box,... but in a shipping box) for around $10, within a week.

edit : clarified the box thingy...

Edited by Denis Richard

I buy frequently from the US. Sam Fiorella uses plain, ordinary USPS airmail, packed in a cardboard box. The speed is astonishing -- but Sam is legendary for getting relativistic service out of USPS. It is, however, a good service for anyone -- quicker, in fact, than USPS air letter to this part of the world.

Some people use USPS Global Priority, which is probably convenient for the sender because you can get a pre-paid envelope, I believe. It works OK to New Zealand.

I, personally, don't like registered or courier services, because I'm often not at home to sign for the parcel, and it gets to be a performance getting the thing delivered. Often I have to drive over to the other side of Auckland to pick it up from the depot. Different buyers have different preferences, but I think you might offer people a couple of choices -- perhaps plain USPS, or a parcel company with insurance.

I don't normally buy stuff for much more than US$150-200, so insurance frankly isn't worth the hassle -- I've only been bitten once over the years, and that might have been a seller who didn't get round to sending the item, so carrying my own risk is worth it. But I believe that, if I don't ask for insurance, the seller's responsibility ends when they get the item to the USPS or a reputable courier company -- not all buyers might believe that, in which case maybe you should make it absolutely clear to them that EITHER they pay for insurance OR the risk of carriage is theirs.

Customs is a non-event into NZ; there are no tariffs (Rest of World, please copy), and only a Goods and Services Tax of 12.5%, which they have a stated policy of not collecting unless the amount due is more than NZ$50. Other places can be a lot more complicated; probably you should get clear with the buyer about what's involved. I would not, myself, grossly underestimate the value of a pen, especially a new one, because it would probably be subject to confiscation if the Customs people smell a rat.

I feel a bit miffed myself when I see CONUS only, though I don't flame, so I applaud your willingness to globalize.

Best

Michael

I ship internationally every day, by mail or by carrier, from Italy to other countries.

I greatly reccomend FedEx, speedy and reliable everywhere, while the postal service depends of the local service in the destination country.

About duty and taxes: if you ship by carrier, your customers will always pay a percentage of the declared value. In Italy duty+VAT cost approx 25%, in other European countries a bit lower (20-23%)

If you ship by mail, uninsured and unregistered, your customer may not pay any import tax, but I think it depends on the local postal service, and most of all it's a risk, you see.

Susanna
----------
Giardino Italiano, il meglio del Made in Italy - www.giardino.it - www.pens.it

My Facebook page
My Blog: blog.giardino.it

Hi Ted :D,

I am on the receiving end, and generally being unfortunate with this type of stuff, I always pay extra for insurance and/or registered shipping as a result.

When things go through a carrier, I always have to pay taxes, which amounts to 19% of declared value, plus duties, which is a little unclear. Generally, that adds a few percentage points.

When things are shipped through USPS, they go through the now privatised post office carrier, which means that on average 2 out of 5 packages are taxed. Officially anyway. In my case that somehow amounts to 95 %, so there must be someone else out there who doesn't pay anything most of the time :D.

Oh, and taxes and duties are calculated not only on the declared value, but also on shipping cost (I think that is a real rip-off, but that is the way it works here).

Before I buy or order anythingabroad, I always calculate the approximate total cost to see if it is worth the trouble.

Well, that's how I deal with it.

From your point of view, if people want insurance when shipping internationally, you probably have a little more work to do than you would for domestic stuff, I'd imagine.

And you wlll have to take the stance that whenever you ship uninsured, the risk lies with the buyer. Things go wrong too easily. I know, I speak from experience.

HTH, warm regards, Wim

the Mad Dutchman
laugh a little, love a little, live a lot; laugh a lot, love a lot, live forever