How to store pens for a few months?

ayjayar

Well, I got to that place when there are too many “working” pens rotating. How do you prepare your pens while they are out of rotation? I thought that about all I would do is pass some water through the system, let it air dry and just store them until it’s their time again.

I wonder... are there some caveats? Is there a true-and-tried method for storing pens for a couple of months without having to pull the pens apart and cleaning everything?

http://www.rozsa.org/images/Img136.gif

• Replies 9
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Maja

• Stylo

• ayjayar

• inkyfingers

Top Posters In This Topic

Well, I got to that place when there are too many “working” pens rotating. How do you prepare your pens while they are out of rotation? I thought that about all I would do is pass some water through the system, let it air dry and just store them until it’s their time again.

I wonder... are there some caveats? Is there a true-and-tried method for storing pens for a couple of months without having to pull the pens apart and cleaning everything?

Hi Andrew,

Well I do the same thing as you do---rinse them, air dry them and store them until I want to use them again. According to Richard Binder webpage on "How to pamper your pens"((article here), you can store the pens horizontally or vertically. If vertically, store them with the nibs pointing upwards. If you want to store them in a case, make sure that they are out of direct sunlight as UV light can cause hard rubber pens to turn brown/olive. Also, do not store pens in plastic bags as the plastic materials in the bags can affect the pens. If you have vintage pens with cork seals, such as older Pelikans, store them with water in the pen to keep the cork from drying out.

[...] According to Richard Binder webpage on "How to pamper your pens" [....]

Thank you, Maja.

Boy, am I in trouble. :-( Having read Richard's article I realize that I probably did not empty the 51 Vacumatic as well as I should have before I sent it to him for refurbishing. Hope he forgives me. He has so much info on his site that a completely missed the "pampering" part. Thank you for pointing it out to me.

http://www.rozsa.org/images/Img136.gif

[...] According to Richard Binder webpage on "How to pamper your pens" [....]

Thank you, Maja.

Boy, am I in trouble. :-( Having read Richard's article I realize that I probably did not empty the 51 Vacumatic as well as I should have before I sent it to him for refurbishing. Hope he forgives me. He has so much info on his site that a completely missed the "pampering" part. Thank you for pointing it out to me.

You're very welcome! There is so much useful info on Richard's website....

As for emptying pens before shipping, I am sure you are not the first to have forgotten (to empty them thoroughly)....I think the worst thing is when a newbie seller ships a used fountain pen in a nice pen box (maybe the original one), but forgets to empty it of ink, and the ink stains the box en route :(

Edited by Maja

I've made the mistake of capping cleaned pens and storing them away before all the water has evaporated out of the nib/feed/ink chamber. Upon later examination there may still be water in there, or maybe condenstation on the nib and cap (since mine are mostly stored vertical, nib up). I suspect if left that way, rust or other damage could occur. :o

-Mike

So much ink, so little said...

A good flush and drying is all that's needed for storage. Drying can be done with a good shake followed by leaving the nib tip rested on some paper napkins until no water is absorbed. You can skip the shaking if you want. Then to be safe let it dry overnight and store. I leave the converter off for drying. Oh, and I like to do my final flush with distilled water to avoid deposits that could be left behind by hard water, although absorbing all the moisture with a napkin shouldn't leave much behind in the first place.

A good flush and drying is all that's needed for storage.  Drying can be done with a good shake followed by leaving the nib tip rested on some paper napkins until no water is absorbed.

Good advice. In a similar vein, I like the method I came across in an article on Penspotters. Specifically relating to cleaning a Parker 61 capillary filler, but works well with any pen:

"...Just put the pen point down into a paper cup with a Kleenex tissue stuffed into the bottom. The residual water and ink will "wick out" in an hour or so, without all that other effort. And throw the mess out. It's easier and neater than any other technique I know."

Col

"...Just put the pen point down into a paper cup with a Kleenex tissue stuffed into the bottom.

I will remember to use a cup instead of whatever improvised contraption I come up with everytime now :blush: I think I even used to do that when I was a kid. But it better be a glass cup, not a light plastic one, to avoid tipping it and then shedding tears. :lol:

But it better be a glass cup, not a light plastic one, to avoid tipping it and then shedding tears.  :lol:

Yep - I confess I use a tall glass with a heavy base myself, for just that reason. I just stuff more tissue in it. ;)

Col