Belated Introduction

Sidney

While growing up, I thought fountain pens were no longer made. Then one day I saw an ad for Parker's reintroduced Duofold and I knew that fountain pens still existed. Soon after, I discovered the wonderful mail order catalogs from Fahrney's and The Fountain Pen Hospital. I admired them all, but could never justify their prices for "just a pen". Then after ten years, and falling off the mailing lists a few times, I splurged and bought a Parker Sonnet. Recently, thanks to broadband, I discovered Levenger's Pentathlon where I bought a Pelikan M605. I also discovered this wonderful forum and a host of other fountain pen related sites thanks to broadband. Now, I use a fountain pen whenever I can and my purchase of a Kaweco Sport means that I always have one on hand. I'm still working on the habit of letter and journal writing, but I am getting better.

"The only thing that stops a bad guy with a gun is a good guy with a gun." - Wayne LaPierre, NRA Executive Vice President

• Replies 14
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Ray

• Sidney

• koolashy

• Juicyjones

Hi Sid,

Tell us more! You're posts are usually pretty brief, so you're still the mystery man from Oklahoma! B)

Any favorite inks or papers yet? Any pen(s) you're planning to get? Any pen you've tried and don't care for?

Growing up, I knew fountain pens were still made, but I had no idea until a couple of years ago that there were so-o-o many brands and models within brands. I'm still discovering pens that I never heard of before.

Best, Ann

Welcome, Sidney. After you've spent 8 months lurking, there's very little I can do to warn you about what we're like here. Caveat emptor applies!

With 77 posts in my name I don't think of myself as a lurker. I post when I have a question or when my input will be helpful to the thread.

"The only thing that stops a bad guy with a gun is a good guy with a gun." - Wayne LaPierre, NRA Executive Vice President

Hi Sid,

Tell us more! You're posts are usually pretty brief, so you're still the mystery man from Oklahoma! B)

Any favorite inks or papers yet? Any pen(s) you're planning to get? Any pen you've tried and don't care for?

Growing up, I knew fountain pens were still made, but I had no idea until a couple of years ago that there were so-o-o many brands and models within brands. I'm still discovering pens that I never heard of before.

Best, Ann

What she said :lol: . Welcome aboard and see ya around.

"But God demonstrates His own love toward us, in that while we were still sinners, Christ died for us." (Rom. 5:8, NKJV)

Hi Sidney!

I'd say "Welcome to FPN! :D"... but you're already here!

No matter. Thank you for taking the time to post an introduction...Don't mind Southpaw and Ann; at least you filled out most of your FPN Profile! :)

I too came back to fountain pens in a similar sort of way. Though I had used a fountain pen briefly in elementary school (we're talking the 1970s here) I hadn't seen anyone using one in ages....so I wondered if they were obsolete! :rolleyes: Then, one day, I noticed some notes written in FP ink by a person who used to work at my old job. I asked him about it later on and he told me about Fountain Pen Hospital and "Pen World" magazine...and I was hooked. Three and a half years later, here I am....

Welcome, Sidney. After you've spent 8 months lurking, there's very little I can do to warn you about what we're like here. Caveat emptor applies!

With 77 posts in my name I don't think of myself as a lurker. I post when I have a question or when my input will be helpful to the thread.

I didn't mean to suggest you'd been silent. Some of these lurkers can be pretty vocal, like the one that used to hang around my local shop, warning everyone against the dangers of microwave ovens and wax crayons. But that's another story, of course.

Ray

Some of these lurkers can be pretty vocal, like the one that used to hang around my local shop, warning everyone against the dangers of microwave ovens and wax crayons. But that's another story, of course.

First off, a big welcome to Sidney! Like your Style! :D

Now Ray, was this guy on about wax crayons in microwave ovens or what. Thinking about it maybe where this guy came from he had a lot of experience with wax crayons or something :lol:

Obi Won WD40

Re vera, cara mea, mea nil refert!

Guest Denis Richard

Hi Sidney,

formally "Welcome !" to FPN :) The net and store catalogs are the devil and have dragged many of us into the addict... hobby :D

Keep enjoy the forums !

Denis.

Hello Sidney! I know how you feel, I too, was seduced by all the fine pens in the FPH catalog, but when I saw the prices I just about fell over. Nonetheless, some of the pens in that catalog and others are unbelievably beautiful.

I have to warn you, the FPN can be a dangerous place. In no time at all you will be out buying more pens, trying different inks, and wonder how you could have accumulated so many pens in such a short time! ;) Don't worry it happens to all of us, much to the chagrin of our spouses! :D

Sincerely yours,

Ronnie Banks

"Like a prized watch, a good fountain pen is a trusted companion for life."

• 4 years later...

Welcome to FPN, you’ll find a lot of friendly and helpful people here.

And how can this be, because he is the Kwisatz Haderach.

Welcome to FPN for the last five years!

"If we faked going to the Moon, why did we fake it nine times?" -- Apollo 16 astronaut Charlie Duke

http://farm5.static.flickr.com/4009/4447835438_d7314170bf_o.png