WTB: A decent first fountian pen for daily use for $50-$80

MrPacman

Hello everyone,

I've decided to buy a fountain pen. I'll probably be using it for signing documents and daily use for jotting down things.

I would like to keep the price between $50 and $80 including shipping to Calgary, Alberta, Canada.

I don't know much about pens, but would like something modern versus a vintage item. Boxes and papers are not important but I would like something that has been well taken care of. I'm open to a piston filler or one that takes cartridges.

I've read great things about the Lamy 2000, Parker Sonnet, Pelikan 200 etc....so one of those, or something with similar characteristics would be what I'm looking for.

I'm quite new to this website...but have lots and lots of positive buying/selling transactions with swiss wristwatches on the website www.timezone.com I can pay via paypal and can provide references from my watch transactions.

Let me know what you have via email at mr_pacman@shaw.ca or via a PM on this website.

Thanks very much

James aka Mr_Pacman

• Replies 19
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• MrPacman

• J English Smith

• limesally

• cercamons

Top Posters In This Topic

Others will have more seasoned input, but from me..

I'd highly recommend the Waterman Phileas as a starter. It's meaty but agile, inexpensive, yet endlessly reliable with very little real upkeep. The price is typically below your target. I have a blue/black Phileas with converter (Noodlers black ink), it's a real workhorse, and I would say a great way to get started, see if you enjoy it enough to drop $100+ on a more "refined" item.

just one opinion! cheers!

If the Phileas isn't your cup of tea, you might want to give us a little feedback as to what you don't like about it and maybe that will help somebody steer you to what you're looking for.

I don't have any personal experience with the Levenger True Writer, but I have seen at least one person here describe it as owning the price point you're speaking of. I think it would be challenging to buy something like a Waterman Carene or a Parker Sonnet for $50-80. In particular, getting a deal on the Sonnet is a little challenging because it is a notoriously counterfeited pen for whatever reason. If you do settle on one of them, be very particular about who you buy it from.

The last thing I can suggest is that lots of folks also seem to laud the Waterman Charleston. It think it runs $50-60 in places I have seen it. I'd steer you to a Parker if I could, but it seems Sanford isn't really interested in offering any fountain pens below the Sonnet here in the States (which I would presume goes for Canada as well).

Edited by Jimmy James

<a href="Http://inkynibbles.com">Inky NIBbles, the ravings of a pen and ink addict.</a>

The Sheaffer Prelude fits your requirements. It actually has the smoothest nibs of the pens I own. It's a very sturdy pen (steel composite barrel not plastic) and comes in a mix of black, gold, and chrome finishes. Folks around here also love the Lamy Safari, and I've heard good things about the Waterman mentioned above.

You might try a Wality, a very sturdy and conservative Indian piston filling pen for only $15 (retrodesk.com), or the Lamy Safari, super sturdy and more modern/German cartridge/converter at $25-30, or a Pelikan Futura (great pen, but I don't like the plastic clip.

Skip

Skip Williams

www.skipwilliams.com/blog

Apologies for the free (read unasked) advice instead of a pen for sale.

I was in your shoes a year ago, with the same requirements and price range.

Bought a Pelikan M215 for $ 78 or so, shipped. Wrote wonderfully (after a nib replacement from Chartpak) and I was very happy with it - utterly reliable, smooth, nice looking piston filler etc.

I also own a Waterman Phileas, which is very good too, although fails to start sometimes (may be my piece). Inexpensive, smooth, if a little flashier and comes with a convertor.

Go with either and you will not be disappointed.

Hello everyone,

I've decided to buy a fountain pen. I'll probably be using it for signing documents and daily use for jotting down things.

I would like to keep the price between $50 and $80 including shipping to Calgary, Alberta, Canada.

One thing you'll have to account for, unfortunately, is that shipping to Calgary is going to be significant if you order from anywhere except within Canada, and even then it's likely to run from $8-15 if not more. You'll have to figure potential border fees into account, as well. If you order from the states, you're probably now looking for a $25-$55 pen, which rules out the Lamy 2000.

Have you stopped by Reid's in Calgary? That will at least give you an idea of how the pens feel in your hand, an idea of the Canadian price range, and then if you decide to look on-line, you can get an idea if it is worth it to have it shipped from elsewhere.

That said, if it was me, I'd get the Pelikan 200. I have an M150 that I love, but I think it would be pretty dinky for most other people's hands :)

Edited by limesally

You could do a Pelikan M200 from my sire for $54.99 plus $20.00 for Priority mail shipping. The Lamy 2000 is also on sale for $90.00. My site is www.isellpens.com .

Thanks for all the replies everyone. Perhaps I'll pop down to Reids (a local pen shop here in Calgary) and check out what I like and the prices. Perhaps I am being a but unrealistic trying to find a Lamy 2000 for my price range including shipping.

If anybody has anything interesting for sale, please feel free to PM me or send an email.

Thanks

Pacman

You might be able to buy a used Lamy 2000 in your price range. You can try the Lamy Studio if the Safari's grip isn't your cup of tea (It certainly wasn't mine). If you don't mind trying Japanese pens, theres the Pilot prera, petit that are great writers and affordable ($5-$30 USD).

Virtute enim ipsa non tam multi praediti esse quam videri volunt.

Quidquid latine dictum sit, altum sonatur.

Contact Information for Japanese Manufacturers

James,

A restored vintage pen may also fir your needs. Fully restored and guaranteed Sheaffer and Parker pens can be had for much less than $80

Other 'new' pens that are quite reasonable are OTHO Tache, Pilot Prera and Platinum. The list is all but endless with the Pilot Capless and many Pelikans sharing the upper end of your range.

Good luck ... an don't forget you will need ink ... and more pens.

Ron

"Adventure is just bad planning." -- Roald Amundsen

Other ideas:

You can get a Pilot VP at the upper end of your range from Pam Braun. A little cheaper than the Lamy 2000, and a very satisfying iconic pen. Or a well-working Parker 51 from a reputable seller here if you want to go vintage "just a wee bit."

<i>"Most people go through life using up half their energy trying to protect a dignity they never had."</i><br>-Marlowe, in <i>The Long Goodbye</i>

Oh, I did get a NOS Lamy 2000 on eBay for about $60, but that was an amazing deal. And I did wind up having to send it to Lamy for service (it was missing the o-ring, and I had them do a nib swap) so the real cost to me was closer to $70.

So, every now and then, a 2000 will go for low, but it's a matter of luck.

Sellers of used ones here tend to sell in the $60-80 range for a good one.

<i>"Most people go through life using up half their energy trying to protect a dignity they never had."</i><br>-Marlowe, in <i>The Long Goodbye</i>

I am with Ron--at your price point, don't rule out recent vintage. Both the Sheaffer Targa and Parker 51 are beautiful writers. And I find that FPN sellers are generally honest: if they volunteer that a pen is a good writer, it will be. Actually, there are a bunch of Parker 51s in another post that look pretty good.

The Philias is very nice however. In fact, I gave mine away because I got tired of picking it up, writing, and wondering why I ever spent so much on all my other pens. If you get a hard starter, there is always Private Reserve Tanzanite ink.

One last piece of unasked for advice, which is my prerogative, as a senior citizen, to give. Don't buy that first one. Otherwise you might end up like me, wondering why you have 30 pens and only one writing hand.

Steve

My recommendation, buy a Pelikan M200 from Richard Binder. You purchase the body and nib separately, and they are priced separately. He will ensure the nib is adjusted to perfections, and his price is very little higher than the discounters. If you prefer a really fine line, order an EF from Richard, but it is significantly more, as he has to grind down a larger nib, to ensure flow and smoothness up to standard. The Pelikan factory EFs are all over the map on QC, according to posts here on FPN.

I have a Pelikan M200, with Binder F nib. I got the Pel from eBay, with an OB (Oblique Broad) nib, and ordered the Binder F nib the same day. The nib arrived in an envelope rubber banded together with the pen, which was in a bigger envelope, inside a box. I sold the OB nib for what I paid for the Binder F (he charges same as Chartpak for non-custom nibs). Smooth as butter on glass, and nicely wet.

Donnie

Edited to add the separate pricing on body and nib from R. Binder.

Edited by donwinn

All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing.
Edmund Burke (1729 - 1797)

My recommendation, buy a Pelikan M200 from Richard Binder.

I second that, wholeheartedly. You will have a more-than-decent pen that "writes right". :thumbup:

Viseguy

My recommendation, buy a Pelikan M200 from Richard Binder.

I second that, wholeheartedly. You will have a more-than-decent pen that "writes right". :thumbup:

I would definately buy an M200 from Mr. Binder one day, but feel the need to point out to the OP that shipping will put it above his price point. Not saying that it's not worth it, and it's certainly on my own to-buy-one-day list, but if the OP is firm on staying under $80 with shipping, this will go over.

I would like to thank everyone for their help and suggestions. I went to a local pen shop today and bought a Lamy Al-Star at a decent discount as it had some minor scratches on the shaft. I also bought a bottle of Lamy ink.....so I'll play around with this pen for a while and see if I enjoy writing with it.

Thanks

Pacman

Hello everyone,

One thing you'll have to account for, unfortunately, is that shipping to Calgary is going to be significant if you order from anywhere except within Canada, and even then it's likely to run from $8-15 if not more. You'll have to figure potential border fees into account, as well. If you order from the states, you're probably now looking for a $25-$55 pen, which rules out the Lamy 2000.

Have you stopped by Reid's in Calgary? That will at least give you an idea of how the pens feel in your hand, an idea of the Canadian price range, and then if you decide to look on-line, you can get an idea if it is worth it to have it shipped from elsewhere.

That said, if it was me, I'd get the Pelikan 200. I have an M150 that I love, but I think it would be pretty dinky for most other people's hands :)

Agree that you should make your way to Reid's in Calgary (they are on 17th Ave SW across from the high school). They are very friendly and helpful and will be able to direct you to pens in that range. If you are new to fountain pens, it might be best to wander around the counters and check out all the different types of pens and dip test. Last I checked at Reids, they didn't have anymore Lamy 2000s, but you may want to consider going with a Lamy Safari (around CDN$30). It's got a reliable, smooth (but stiff) nib, some funky colors, and in my view, is a great starter fountain pen (mostly because the nib is so stiff).

PS -- Be forewarned, a "decent first fountain pen" can quickly turn into an all consuming habit where you will soon be dreaming of pens with at least one more zero on the price tag!

• Most Contributions

1. amberleadavis
      amberleadavis
    2. PAKMAN
      PAKMAN
    3. Ghost Plane
      Ghost Plane
    4. inkstainedruth
      inkstainedruth
    5. jar
      jar
  • Upcoming Events

• Blog Comments

• Shanghai Knife Dude
      I have the Sailor Naginata and some fancy blade nibs coming after 2022 by a number of new workshop from China.  With all my respect, IMHO, they are all (bleep) in doing chinese characters.  Go use a bush, or at least a bush pen. 
    • A Smug Dill
      It is the reason why I'm so keen on the idea of a personal library — of pens, nibs, inks, paper products, etc. — and spent so much money, as well as time and effort, to “build” it for myself (because I can't simply remember everything, especially as I'm getting older fast) and my wife, so that we can “know”; and, instead of just disposing of what displeased us, or even just not good enough to be “given the time of day” against competition from >500 other pens and >500 other inks for our at
    • adamselene
      Agreed.  And I think it’s good to be aware of this early on and think about at the point of buying rather than rationalizing a purchase..
    • A Smug Dill
      Alas, one cannot know “good” without some idea of “bad” against which to contrast; and, as one of my former bosses (back when I was in my twenties) used to say, “on the scale of good to bad…”, it's a spectrum, not a dichotomy. Whereas subjectively acceptable (or tolerable) and unacceptable may well be a dichotomy to someone, and finding whether the threshold or cusp between them lies takes experiencing many degrees of less-than-ideal, especially if the decision is somehow influenced by factors o
    • adamselene
      I got my first real fountain pen on my 60th birthday and many hundreds of pens later I’ve often thought of what I should’ve known in the beginning. I have many pens, the majority of which have some objectionable feature. If they are too delicate, or can’t be posted, or they are too precious to face losing , still they are users, but only in very limited environments..  I have a big disliking for pens that have the cap jump into the air and fly off. I object to Pens that dry out, or leave blobs o
  • Chatbox

You don't have permission to chat.
    Load More
  • Files