Visconti Titanic

Titivillus

This is a pen that I have been wanting since it first came out ( in an edition of 1912). The price being near eight hundred dollars was what pretty much kept me far away. Imagine my suprise when I saw mention that someone had one for sale and at a price that would be within my budget.

So after work today I found a large package waiting for me, inside was the pen.

But first upon opening the box you see a newspaper fascimile of the sinking of the Titanic on the back side is all of the usual filling instructions found in an enclosed booklet.

The inner box is a deep blue lacquered wood that slants up to the top. Opening the box and you find a pen that is both conservative and very much art nouveau. It is a rich blue celluloid with brwon chunks of a quartz like depth throught. The shape of the pen is a modified flat top in the style of duofolds.

Measurements:

capped: 6-1/8"

Posted 7-13/16" !!!!

Barrel Diameter: 1/2"

Cap diameter: 5/8"

Weight: 1.7 oz

All in all a very impressive pen

Edited by Tytyvyllus

• Replies 18
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Titivillus

• Maja

• Roger

• His Nibs

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Kurt,

Don't make us wait too long! :P

If my ISP was behaving I would complete the review with a slew of pictures but it isn't allowing me to upload so I just attached a main pic of the pen.

Kurt H

Kurt,

Don't make us wait too long! :P

If my ISP was behaving I would complete the review with a slew of pictures but it isn't allowing me to upload so I just attached a main pic of the pen.

Kurt H

I hear ya...My computer has been acting up too, so I am using my husband's now...

The pen looks fabulous! Thanks for the pic, Kurt :)

Can hardly wait to hear more details, as I have yet to read a review about it....

For those liking a single screen non-scrolling version - here it is... (650 pixels wide)

Gerry

post-34-1129945359_thumb.jpg

Edited by Gerry

This is a pen that I have been wanting since it first came out ( in an edition of 1912).  The price being near eight hundred dollars was what pretty much kept me far away.  Imagine my suprise when I saw mention that someone had one for sale and at a price that would be within my budget.

So after work today I found a large package waiting for me, inside was the pen.

But first upon opening the box you see a newspaper fascimile of the sinking of the Titanic on the back side is all of the usual filling instructions found in an enclosed booklet.

The inner box is a deep blue lacquered wood that slants up to the top.  Opening the box and you find a pen that is both conservative and very much art nouveau.  It is a rich blue celluloid with brown chunks of a quartz like depth throught.  The shape of the pen is  a modified flat top in the style of duofolds.

Measurements:

capped: 6-1/8"

Posted 7-13/16" !!!!

Barrel Diameter:  1/2"

Cap diameter: 5/8"

Weight: 1.7 oz

All in all a very impressive pen

Here's a pic of the pen open. The clip wraps around about half of the pen with a small spring and teflon pad on the pack to keep it spring mounted. You can also see through the translucent ball.

Edited by Tytyvyllus

That is one gorgeous pen! The fact that you can see through the ball is just cool. What about the nib? What type is it? How does it write? TIA, southpaw

"But God demonstrates His own love toward us, in that while we were still sinners, Christ died for us." (Rom. 5:8, NKJV)

Great looking pen Kurt!

Did visconti also make a non-limited edition of this pen with a cartridge fill system? Seems like when I was eyeballing this pen, there was two versions.

Any chance you could snap a picture with the titanic next to your MB 149? The titanic is bigger, right?

http://static.flickr.com/21/28891892_80d902777e_t.jpg

Great looking pen Kurt!

Did visconti also make a non-limited edition of this pen with a cartridge fill system? Seems like when I was eyeballing this pen, there was two versions.

Any chance you could snap a picture with the titanic next to your MB 149? The titanic is bigger, right?

Yep they made an acrylic version in sort of a brown loop material ( like the Kaleido).

Here's a pic of a few for comparison, I put it next to the 149.

Kurt H

Head and shoulders above the 149. :o

What's the other big boy just to the left of the Titanic?

That's one you don't see much around, it is a Marlen Magnum Pappus in yellow ebonite which is larger than the business size that is usually seen. It has trouble fitting in my pen cases.

Kurt H

Great looking pen Kurt!

Did visconti also make a non-limited edition of this pen with a cartridge fill system?  Seems like when I was eyeballing this pen, there was two versions.

Hi Bryan,

Here are a few pictures of the non-LE version, which I took with me when I visited the Titanic Museum in Florida this spring Trip to Florida.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v167/hisnibs/Blog/Orlando/Journalpenandticket.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v167/hisnibs/Blog/Orlando/Journalpenandticket2cropped.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v167/hisnibs/Blog/Orlando/Clipdetail.jpg

Regards,

Norman Haase

His Nibs.com

www.hisnibs.com

Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/HisNibs1

Congratulations Kurt!

A few related images from Hand Book for European and Oriental Travelers copyright 1896

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v233/jelb/IMG_2891.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v233/jelb/IMG_2889.jpg

Regards,

Jeen

Hi Kurt,

Congratulations! I've always admired that pen, but like you, thought it was a little expensive :D.

Warm regards, Wim

the Mad Dutchman
laugh a little, love a little, live a lot; laugh a lot, love a lot, live forever

Hi Kurt,

Congratulations! I've always admired that pen, but like you, thought it was a little expensive :D.

Warm regards, Wim

At the going rate for e-sellers or even B&M it was way over my budget but I lucked into a good price which was just a little bit over! :D

Kurt H

Edited by Tytyvyllus