Lap Desks / Writing Slopes

SB1

Hi

Being something of a "couch potato" when it comes to using my laptop and writing, combined with insufficient space for a decent sized desk at the moment, I am in the market for a lap desk or writing slope that I can make use of. Does anyone have any suggestions?

I have searched the internet and found these......

http://www.fun2funkygifts.com/site/product...F163F1A5CCCB982

http://gifts.barnesandnoble.com/search/pro...n=9780641712258

http://www.lakeland.co.uk/product.aspx/!20360

Is anyone using anything similar and have any recommendations? Although based in the UK, with the dollar rate so good at the moment US based suppliers like Barnes and Noble are a possibility

Thanks

Steve

• Replies 21
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Ink Stained Wretch

• SB1

• Barkingpig

• Davinor

I use (and like) Levenger's Lapdesk (much simpler than the ones in Steve's links).

William

Have looked at that, I am looking for one with some kind of storage as well. Have contacted Levengers about the lapalot

I have been looking at one at the moment, made in 1884, wood, velvet inside, little lid boxes at the top and two brass ink wells, and a pen holder, looks very cool, but not sure I would actually use it...

Lamy 2000-Lamy Vista-Visconti Van Gogh Maxi Tortoise Demonstrator-Pilot Vanishing Point Black Carbonesque-1947 Parker 51 Vacumatic Cedar Blue Double Jewel-Aurora Optima Black Chrome Cursive Italic-Waterman Hemisphere Metallic Blue-Sheaffer Targa-Conway Stewart CS475

Believe it or not, I have been using a plastic version that is backed with a pillow and has a mesh pencil case sewn to the edge of the pillow. The surface has two "wells" for pens/pencils, a carrying handle, a very strong clip positioned the long way and it measures 14.5"hx18.8"wx2"d (37cm x 48cm x 5 cm). Imprinted in the black plastic: The Original Lap Desk Company. It's called Canvas Lap Desk and was purchased for $3.99 at Bed Bath and Beyond (also further discounted with one of their many coupons).

I have admired the beautiful lap desks on various websites and at many stores but frankly, this one does the job admirably and affords me extra resources with which to purchase pens! :thumbup:

I have both the Levenger's Lapalot Lap Desk and Writer's Oasis. Both do the job -- but I had to "re-screw" the screws on the bottom of the Writer's Oasis. It would normally stand up to normal use I think, but the cats like jump on it or lay on it, and down it went. The screws are the usual flanged-hex/Phillips-head screws, but they're not tapered to be inserted into the wood easily, so I had to use a wall plug to secure it for good. I use the lap desk mostly in bed for journaling or reading.

Talking about fountain pens is like dancing about architecture.

I've read that Robert Frost used to sit in an old armchair and put a board across the arms.

On a sacred quest for the perfect blue ink mixture!

ink stained wretch filling inkwell

Hi Folks

I've been looking for a lap desk and came across this site in my travels,

http://www.sandjwoodcraft.co.uk/www.sandjw...?p=13&pno=0

I thought it might be of interest as the prices don't seem that bad

David

PS - I hope everyone has a Merry Christmas and a Safe, Happy and Prosperous New Year

Edited by Davinor

I've tried lots of inclined surfaces, the best being a quality drafting table. But I don't have that kind of space at home, so I need something smaller these days. Since I have neck issues, I use a Herman Miller "Scooter", which is very small and portable, adjusts both height and incline.

<span style='font-size: 12px;'><span style='font-family: Trebuchet MS'><span style='color: #0000ff'><strong class='bbc'>Mitch</strong></span><span style='color: #0000ff'>

=======

http://exploratorius.us

I recently saw a nice looking one at the local Container Store. It's a piece of moulded plywood with a velcro-attached bean bag cushion. It come in "natural" or "espresso" colors. The problem is, they want $50 for it, which is a ridiculous price for something that clearly costs very little to make. Nice design, though.

Here's a URL that may or may not work:

http://www.containerstore.com/browse/Produ...PRODID=10016092

Paige Paigen

Gemma Seymour, Founder & Designer, Paige Paigen

Daily use pens & ink: TWSBI ECO-T EF, TWSBI ECO 1.1 mm stub italic, Mrs. Stewart's Concentrated Liquid Bluing

I've read that Robert Frost used to sit in an old armchair and put a board across the arms.

Interesting!

I believe that Mr. Roald Dahl, the famous Norwegian/British novelist, also did this. He had a writing board. Wood with a green felt or leather top, which he laid across an armchair in his writing-shed. He'd sit there to do his writing.

http://www.throughouthistory.com/ - My Blog on History & Antiques

• 10 years later...
I am here to talk about the best office executive chairs that you can buy for your office.

If you need a workstation desk, L shaped computer desk may suit your needs. which is an innovative workstation desk that can be a second home to some people. It is made for everyone’s convenience and support for all work tasks.

I am here to talk about the best office executive chairs that you can buy for your office.

If you need a workstation desk, L shaped computer desk may suit your needs. which is an innovative workstation desk that can be a second home to some people. It is made for everyone’s convenience and support for all work tasks.

The above is a bit off topic....

But this isn't.....

https://www.levenger.com/Search/SearchResult.aspx?search=lapdesks

I have it in Dark Cherry.

They are really great and mine gets a ton of use. Got it through Levenger's ebay store for less than their website a few years ago.

Brad

"Words are, of course, the most powerful drug used by mankind" - Rudyard Kipling
"None of us can have as many virtues as the fountain-pen, or half its cussedness; but we can try." - Mark Twain

Well, thank you for joining our group & offering us this conversation. I am sure AMAZON does provide a nice selection of chairs for the office.

Which model do you use?

A couple of years ago I was in an antiques auction house and while not an antique, I found (for not a lot of money) a nice little wooden lap desk made by Bombay Company. I don't know if they're still being made (their website just gives a link to stores that carry their products -- I don't know if they still have their own stores anymore).

There's a fairly elaborate one on Amazon, but it's not cheap. Mine of course is much simpler.

Ruth Morrisson aka inkstainedruth

"It's very nice, but frankly, when I signed that list for a P-51, what I had in mind was a fountain pen."

QUOTE(Ink Stained Wretch @ Dec 15 2007, 01:12 AM) 447100[/snapback]

Interesting!

I believe that Mr. Roald Dahl, the famous Norwegian/British novelist, also did this. He had a writing board. Wood with a green felt or leather top, which he laid across an armchair in his writing-shed. He'd sit there to do his writing.

And Virginia Woolf, too. Even though she also had that stunning writing shed in her Rodmell garden.

"Life would split asunder without letters." Virginia Woolf

My maternal Grandmother was born in the 1890s & I remember her use of a very simple lapboard; it was probably a varnished surface when it began it's use, but when I knew it as a young child, her's was worn @ the center space & merely dark around the edges. Her house had a drop front desk but it's placement was near a doorway & when used for prolonged use would block the passage between rooms. She placed her lap board over the arms of a chair, could sit in front of a fire, look out a window & write a note to a friend, without great disruption. I suspect they used the desk surface less frequently, while this saw everyday use.

Her lap board reminded me more of the later television tray; it could also have been used for a lunch or snack, or even using a reference book.