Montblanc FPs: Are they worth the money?

TMann

My first Montblanc was a Meisterstück 1266, which I must say was sterling silver (Potty Mouth) (the piston filling mechanism was all plastic and lasted only a few months); when it was in repair I bought a 34 model, a cheapo, but one of the best writers I’ve ever had. Unfortunately, it shared the mechanical frailty of the pen it was intended to replace (temporarily). My next MB was a plastic look-alike of the Meisterstück mentioned above, equipped with a converter (no complaints, and together with pencil and ballpoint it made a nice set). In the eighties I got a Meisterstück 144 (which I didn’t like at all) and eventually a Meisterstück 146, a quality FP, though I should have chosen an M instead of a BB nib.

Ever since my sterling silver desaster I’ve been reluctant to invest money in expensive materials. If two models are technically the same, I’d rather buy the cheaper one (well, if I really don’t like its design I wouldn’t buy the pen, even if it would be proclaimed world champion). So, if I were you, I guess I’d go for the 146 or the 149 (if that one isn’t to big for you): they cost a lot of money –and I watched the prices rise spectacularly over the decades–, but they are the best MB can offer.

[Edit: I forgot to answer the initial question: Are MB fountain pens worth the money? Of course they are! If you really want one, “value for money” is a minor issue... Other pens may be as good or even better, but they’re not “it”, so why bother? :)]

Edited by Kees

• Replies 69
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Titivillus

• Stylo

• Roger

• HesNot

I recently acquired some extra funds for a nice pen, (eBay is a wonderful thing!) and I've been looking into the possibility of buying my first Montblanc. Is this something that I want to do? Given the money, would you folks buy a Montblanc FP? Which one? Are they worth it? Or are they really a bunch of overpriced pens that are more about fashion, than function, as some people seem to think?

Your opinions would be appreciated.

TMann

Montblanc pens are often a subject for heated debate. I guess this is due to their undoubted popularity all over the world.

My personal opinion is that the average MB pen is definitely overrated, however there ARE some very good MB pens! I have a 149 and I'm delighted with it. It writes very smoothly and reliably, though my fine nib is RIDICULOUSLY broad for a fine! I would suggest getting an XF if you like fine writing.

MB also does some very interesting special and limited edition pens that are aesthetically pleasing, if nothing else, and good collector's items. I would stay away from the smaller pens, like the 146 and 144. I tried both and they gave me problems. No such issues with my 149.

Despite the criticsims I think a MB pen is an essential part of anyone's collection, and I suggest that you invest your money to acquire a 149 if you can afford one. The ballpoints are also rather nice and make a nice matching set with the FP.

I'm a little irritated with those who continuously complain about high prices for prestige fountain pens. If you can't afford it, don't buy it! There are plenty of decent pens with steel nibs that only fetch a few dollars - even BIC, the king of ballpoints, has now released a cartridge pen! The fact is that high-end pens like MB, Omas, Pelikan Souveran, etc are targeted at high earning professionals who need to give a good impression at all times. People who buy high-end pens are either collectors or high status individuals who care about the image they wish to project.

Edited by marklavar

Wow! Thanks for all of the responses. It's been really helpful reading through everyones thoughts.

First of all, I have to say that I agree with KendallJ's commments that in terms of pure functionality, any FP over $30 is going to be an inferior "value" compared to a disposble rollerball pen by Pilot, Parker, etc. I own a bunch of rollerball pens and do most of my writing at work with these types of writing instruments.

However, when discussing high-end fountain pens, I think that it is still reasonable to ask whether a pen is a "good value", compared to other similarly priced offerings. If a pen has some of the following characteristics: 1) it writes smoothly, 2) it is reliable, 3) it has an interesting appearance or design, or 4) it has some collectible value, it is worth paying a little extra for it. My question about Montblancs arose from the fact that it seems that MB's cost more than comparable brands, without actually having any of the benefits listed above. In effect, it seems that you're paying for the name.

If I had a large collection of fountain pens, I would definitely want to own a Montblanc to "complete" my collection. However, I have a about dozen FP's in my collection, only one of which would cost more than $100 new. Thus, I think that I am going to pass on getting myself an MB, (unless I come across a great deal on FPN or PT.) There are a lot of other great pens out there in that would be more enjoyable to use, (for me.)

Thanks for all of the advice! :D

TMann

Edited by TMann

I'm a little irritated with those who continuously complain about high prices for prestige fountain pens.  If you can't afford it, don't buy it!  There are plenty of decent pens with steel nibs that only fetch a few dollars - even BIC, the king of ballpoints, has now released a cartridge pen! 

I can't quite believe my eyes. Normally, I am a believer of "if you don't have anything nice to say, then don't say it". Here's my 2 cents and it's not my intention to hijack this great thread and turn it into a (bleep) match.

Marklavar, the next level down from a MB, Pelikan, or an OMAS doesn't not necessarily equate to the polar opposite end of the spectrum, a BIC. Perhaps, you may have failed to realized that not all fountain pen users and visitors to this community are in the same demographic category that Montblanc wants to target. Some of us may have all the money to burn, but many of us may be frugal with limited funds allocated to this hobby.

The fact is that high-end pens like MB, Omas, Pelikan Souveran, etc are targeted at high earning professionals who need to give a good impression at all times.  People who buy high-end pens are either collectors or high status individuals who care about the image they wish to project.

Since when is the average consumer able to access the marketing strategies and plans of MB, Pelikan or OMAS? I respect your viewpoint but I believe you may be incorrect For example. Years ago, Pelikan wanted to position their Souveran series in the same league as MB, thus, they developed the M1000 to compete directly with the 149 and failed. Units were not selling and they had to reposition their price point back down. Instead, their marketing strategy shifted and thus came the city series at a smaller size and lower price point, not necessarily focusing on "high earning professionals who need to give a good impression at all times".

In my personal opinion, folks who purchase prestige brands to up their social status/image or create an impression of being a high earning professional are nothing but hollow shells. I believe their is a term for these folks and they are called "posers".

Again, apologies in advance for my not so kind words. ;)

I'm a little irritated with those who continuously complain about high prices for prestige fountain pens. If you can't afford it, don't buy it! There are plenty of decent pens with steel nibs that only fetch a few dollars - even BIC, the king of ballpoints, has now released a cartridge pen! The fact is that high-end pens like MB, Omas, Pelikan Souveran, etc are targeted at high earning professionals who need to give a good impression at all times. People who buy high-end pens are either collectors or high status individuals who care about the image they wish to project.

I have to disagree with your statements. I do not think that people are complaining about 'prestige' pens but about MOntblanc in particular.

I purchase high end pens, greater than $200, and am neither a collector nor a person who really gives a damn about the image I project ( actually typing that last bit bothers me ;) ). But I am one who appreciates quality and enjoy the look and feel of writing with fountain pens. I have pens from a steel nib Kaweco up to soon a Visconti Titanic ( which puts most of the MB pens in the dust with it's MSRP). All of these pens are inked and used to write with mostly in the confines of my house so no one else sees me using them.

What gets up my nose about Montblanc is first that they try to control all aspects of the selling of their pens even to the draconian measure of forbidding internet sellers from publishing prices ( or for that matter selling their pens at prices below MSRP of other manufacturers). Ad campaignes saying they are the ultimate pen along with the boutique setups. This is not to say that other pen companies are not working toward this as well ( OMAS for example) but MB has been doing it longer than all others.

What irritates me is the facade that MB puts up around their pens giving it an air of exclusivity when the pen is an OK writer with others of equal or superior quality to be had for less.

Kurt H

Guest Denis Richard

I guess we could distinguish Montblanc and Richemont. The former being the old traditional brand, and the latter the evil dark owning group :lol:

What a Montblanc is worth is defined by what people are willing to pay for it. If you want a MontBlanc and a MontBlanc only, whatever your reason is (tradition, prestige, a particular model that you fell in love with, etc...), then you'll have to shell out the price tag. If you want to compare quality, performance, reliability, etc... it is hard to justify that tag. But then, that's true for many brands and models.

Richemont has is a high luxury group (Cartier, Van Cleef and Arpels,...), hence Montblanc is more than ever a high luxury brand. It may be annoying to us, but they would be stupid to have a marketing line of "our pens are the best writers" when they can be much more succesful financially by selling luxury and lifestyle.

What I think they should do is have a secret price list just for FP users who don't care for the "lifestyle", would never buy a 149 at list price but would rush on a half-priced one :D A MB black market, organized by MB, and they'll still make plenty of money... :lol:

What I think they should do is have a secret price list just for FP users who don't care for the "lifestyle", would never buy a 149 at list price but would rush on a half-priced one :D A MB black market, organized by MB, and they'll still make plenty of money... :lol:

That's what I did, buy a grey market 149 for about 40% of the going MSRP. It is a nice pen for that price!

Kurt H

Guest Denis Richard
What I think they should do is have a secret price list just for FP users who don't care for the "lifestyle", would never buy a 149  at list price but would rush on a half-priced one :D  A MB black market, organized by MB, and they'll still make plenty of money... :lol:

That's what I did, buy a grey market 149 for about 40% of the going MSRP. It is a nice pen for that price!

Kurt H

Any tip to come accross a deal like that ? :drool:

I have five MB's (currently) and they date from the early 1920's to the 1990's, from a safety, to a button filler, to a few piston fillers. They are all great pens. I am especially fond of the older ones as they tend to have really wonderful nibs on them. YMMV, but I've had good experiences with them. Good luck and let us know what you decide.

Chris

Custom Bindes

As I've stated (Often) on this board, my MB 149 is my prized possession. Beside a problem with the piston, which was fixed free of charge by MB, it's been a perfect performer.

I've never had a flow problem with this pen, and it holds a very good amount of ink. I contribute my passion for fountain pens to my ownership of the 149.

Now, with that said; I've owned several other MB, that I haven't cared for. Namely: A Silver Solitaire 146, keeping the tarnish off it was too big of a hassle, A Dickens Writer Series, the cap on this one is way too big and completely throws the pen off balance when posted and is too small not to post, A 144, just too small, and a 146 in resin, this one just couldn't compare to the 149 so I sold it.

So I guess what I'm saying is, I like the MB 149 and have yet to find another MB I'd keep as a writer. So buy a 149 or look Windoc up and get yourself a lovely Danitrio or Conway Stewart (I own three pens from these two Brand Names and would never get rid of them!) :D :D

Happy Hunting,

Bryan

http://static.flickr.com/21/28891892_80d902777e_t.jpg

I dont understand why this topic is so controversial. They've had obviously successful marketing, but the actual worth depends on the owner's perception. Prestige is important to some. Others may find that their MBs stand on their own merits, irrespective of prestige. MBs are nice pens. The only way for one to find out if they're "worth it" is to try them and decide for one's self.

The thing that I find strange about MBs is that rich people who aren't into pens seem to think they're the only game in town. By contrast, rich people who aren't into watches are more diverse. Sure, a lot of them get Rolexes, but others go for Jaeger Le Coultre, Blancpain, etc. I guess MB's marketing has just been that effective.

One word of caution...

You get what you paid for, so beware of fake MB on eBay.

I am biased with MB because I like them. However, I only bought 2 brand new (#1 and 7 below) for my personal milestone pat-on-the-back reward. Everything else were bought used. So I would not buy a brand new MB with the exception of possible a Full Sterling Barleycorn pattern 146 that I have been eyeing.

Buy with Caution with Classique or 142 modern (entry level Meisterstuck c/c filler, slip cap model) since a lot of times the section/nib/feed trim ring of those from 80s and 90s have ink corrosion.

I have :

1. Boheme Blue Stone fixed MED nib (2004)

2. 80s W. Germany MB146 (one with striped ink view, one with clear ink view)

3. MB149 (90s striped ink view)

4. MB22 in grey with FINE nib

5. MB334 1/2 vintage

6. MB142 vintage celluloid

7. 90s Generation that was stolen

I think MB are nice pens in general. Their nibs run wide, though.

I have yet to see one disintegrate in front of me. They write on demand even if capped and unused for 3 weeks (typical of German pens e.g. Pelikan, LAMY)

Having said that, I needed Nagahara and Mottishaw to fine tune both my 146 nibs before they stop skipping. Note that it is probably because of my finicky hands because both nib masters could not replicate my skipping, they had to watch me write pages before fine tuning the nib to be smooth wet writers. To me they are both not for sale and the best in my humble "collection".

Also the Boutique repaired a hair-line crack (1mm) on the cap and barrel for basic $55 while keeping the original clip and a free piston lube job.

So is MB worth the $$$ ? I think so given that should something goes wrong with the pen, they come through again and again for me for repairs, fast turn-around (2 weeks), original parts. This is referencing to 80s - 2000s MB and not the vintage models.

This is something none of the modern brands can offer except Parker and Sheaffer IMHO.

If you really have to push it, consider the extra $$ is a prepayment for future repairs. It's kind of like paying for a BMW or MBZ with free maintenance and oil change IMHO.

Other brands that are comparable in terms of post-sale service and quality would be Parker (Duofolds) and Sheaffer(Legacy). But Duofolds have QC with dry feed and Legacy has piting problems with their GP furniture. At least MB's GP is thicker.

Edited by KCkc

The thing that I find strange about MBs is that rich people who aren't into pens seem to think they're the only game in town.  By contrast, rich people who aren't into watches are more diverse.  Sure, a lot of them get Rolexes, but others go for Jaeger Le Coultre, Blancpain, etc.  I guess MB's marketing has just been that effective.

I guess that's the funny/annoying thing about MB's marketing. No one would argue that a Mercedes is a great car. However, people realize that certain models of BMW, Jaguar and Audi are also excellent. Perhaps even better for certain models. However, most people are very unfamiliar with the various brands of pens, so they assume that Montblanc is the BEST, and that everything else is just second tier.

Anyways, thanks for all of the input, everyone. I've been on a bit of a pen spending spree lately, (I had some unexpected funds due to a couple of good eBay sales.) I had set aside some money for a "really nice" pen, (which for me is anything more expensive than about $175.) I ended up finding a great condition Pelikan m800. It's supposed to arrive her sometime this week. Woo-hoo! :D

I suppose that someday I'll end up getting an MB. But I can wait. There are a lot of other great pens out there that I still need to try!

TMann

Edited by TMann

Just watch the boards. I just bought a real nice 146 from Martin at Woodbin for $175.00. It must be post 1995 as it has the S/N on the clip ring. (Think that was when MB started putting that no. on them :unsure: ) Just the drawer wear that you would expect, but looks sound in all areas. It'll get inked today for the final judgment. My only concern is that the force required to turn the piston down and up is substantial. Seems like a lube is in order, but I don't think I want to tackle that. Not as easy as a Pel.

MBs are too pricey when you go into a store and buy one new, but then, so are many other brands. Patience in the used market and buying used from trusted sources pays off.

Edited by Roger

Roger

Southern Arizona, USA

Fountain Pen Talk Mailing List

Hi Roger, congrats on a good find. I'd eventually like to own a 146. The 149 is probably too big for me to use for long strectches at a time. Maybe this piston situation would be a good time to try one of those Noodlers American Eel inks.

This reminds me of the Rolex questions that pop up on the watch sites with some regularity. The answer, of course is "yes" .... and "no" ;)

Rolexes are very well made watches. There are many other, and frequently less expensive, watches that are of equal quality with respect to movement, case, dial, hands and overall manufacture. Many of the same are not nearly as recognizable to people who do not collect watches. Rolexes generally do not offer the most "bang for the buck". Their service is generally impeccable. For some watchaholics part of the appeal of other brands is that you almost have to be part of the 'club" to recognize the brand and quality - which adds to the allure. Some watchaholics like Rolexes - regardless of the "bang for the buck" component or popularity - because they are, after all the marketing sheen is removed, well made watches.

Much is the same with MB's and penaholics I think. Probably the biggest difference is that I don't think I've ever personally known a Rolex owner who was a watchaholic - mostly doctors or others who got them as gifts and because it is a recognizable luxury brand. I do know penaholics who have and use MB's (and often a number of others).

The lesson I suppose is that "luxury branding" is a polarizing concept among those for whom the object is more than a luxury item - which most of the time does not represent the bulk of the buyers hence the desire to obtain a luxury brand image!

A pen a day keeps the doctor away...

Parker "51" flighter; Parker 75 cisele; Conway Stewart Dandy Demonstrator; Aurora 88P chrome; Sailor Sapporo ; Lamy 2000; Lamy 27 double L; Lamy Studio; Pilot Murex; Pilot Sesenta (Red/Grey); Pilot Capless (black carbonesque); Pilot Custom 74 Demonstrator; Pilot Volex; Waterman Expert 2000 (slate blue)

I have read all the replies, and I will just add my two cents or three ;) We are fooling ourselves if we think that for $150-200+ we are getting some sort of uber-quality in a pen. We are not. There are no magic pens. Even the $1000+ ones come sometimes with defects, improperly adjusted nibs/feeds, or horrible ergonomics. The things that matter in these high price ranges are mostly intangibles, such as aesthetics, originality, uniqueness, exclusivity ($$$), and for some, prestige (related to $$$). So unless you are hooked by some of these qualities, the money on them is complete and utter waste. A good part of the reason why MB gets a bad rap are the last two qualities I listed. Those are the ones their marketing puts a strong emphasis on, and naturally, that also attracts a certain type of clientele. But if you don't care about this aspect of MB, you can just decide for yoursef if you find the pens themselves desirable.

Much is the same with MB's and penaholics I think. Probably the biggest difference is that I don't think I've ever personally known a Rolex owner who was a watchaholic - mostly doctors or others who got them as gifts and because it is a recognizable luxury brand. I do know penaholics who have and use MB's (and often a number of others).

The lesson I suppose is that "luxury branding" is a polarizing concept among those for whom the object is more than a luxury item - which most of the time does not represent the bulk of the buyers hence the desire to obtain a luxury brand image!

Your thoughts pretty much summarize the issues with "super-luxury" branding. It's really not about the car, the watch, the pen, or in other words the product itself. It's about the associations with it.

The fact is that high-end pens like MB, Omas, Pelikan Souveran, etc are targeted at high earning professionals who need to give a good impression at all times.  People who buy high-end pens are either collectors or high status individuals who care about the image they wish to project.

I think these comments put in perspective the image Montblanc emphasiszes. Many equally or more expensives brands try to sell their products from various other angles.

Going off on a tangent, I would like to comment on "give a good impression at all times" and "individuals who care about the image they wish to project." Such impulses are with all of us to various degrees, but how we project such things can vary drastically from one circle to another. For instance, for a banker or a salesman, showing off a big Rolex and a wedding band with a dozen big diamonds is "calssy" and a sign of success. For other professionals, it may be crass and tasteless, or at the very least unimpressive.

PS: I feel like I need to add a PS to emphasize that I am not trying to make a one sided judgement here. So I'll throw in something for good measure. For a while, it seemed like many mathematicians and some physicists thought that wearing Bierkenstocks was a cool thing to do, even in not exactly casual settings. Marginally more fashion conscious professionals might find that not only tasteless, but even rude. :lol:

Edited by Stylo