• Maja

• Sidney

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Hi,

Mine is worse.

Dillon

Edited by Dillo

Stolen: Aurora Optima Demonstrator Red ends Medium nib. Serial number 1216 and Aurora 98 Cartridge/Converter Black bark finish (Archivi Storici) with gold cap. Reward if found. Please contact me if you have seen these pens.

Please send vial orders and other messages to fpninkvials funny-round-mark-thing gmail strange-mark-thing com. My shop is open once again if you need help with your pen.

Will someone with the name of "Jay" who emailed me through the email system provide me an email address? There was no email address provided, so I can't write back.

Dillon

Did you buy these this way (i.e. eBay scam) or how did this happen? I mean did you not wipe the excess ink off the nib for a long period of time (how long?)? Did you forget to clean it before you put it in storage? You are about to scare me back to ballpoints. Well... I'll stop at rollerballs. I'll only write with a ballpoint if I have no choice.

"The only thing that stops a bad guy with a gun is a good guy with a gun." - Wayne LaPierre, NRA Executive Vice President

Yikes! I saw those Waterman nibs and immediately dashed to my own Phileas to swab the nibs clean!

Is that from ink residue? I mean, how long has the Phileas been around? What could cause all that deterioration? Was it accidentally left sticking in a lemon or something? :P

Meanwhile, I've now got The Sister's of Mercy's "This Corrosion" echoing in my head.

t!

flippin' like a pancake

poppin' like a cork

Hi,

The acid in the ink eats away the metal. The Platinum nib is not normal.

I assure you T, that the nib on your Platinum is made of a better grade of stainless steel.

Dillon

Stolen: Aurora Optima Demonstrator Red ends Medium nib. Serial number 1216 and Aurora 98 Cartridge/Converter Black bark finish (Archivi Storici) with gold cap. Reward if found. Please contact me if you have seen these pens.

Please send vial orders and other messages to fpninkvials funny-round-mark-thing gmail strange-mark-thing com. My shop is open once again if you need help with your pen.

Will someone with the name of "Jay" who emailed me through the email system provide me an email address? There was no email address provided, so I can't write back.

Dillon

Thanks for the pictures. My 20+ year old steel nib is not close to being as bad off as the nibs in those pictures (reference my post in the Repair section). Maybe I don't have much to complain about after all. Sorry, I don't have the camera equipment to get a good picture of the pits on my nib.

Regards,

Oso

Hi,

I do have a few nibs that do not corrode because of the metal that makes the nib.

Dillon

Dillon

Did you buy these this way (i.e. eBay scam) or how did this happen? I mean did you not wipe the excess ink off the nib for a long period of time (how long?)? Did you forget to clean it before you put it in storage? You are about to scare me back to ballpoints. Well... I'll stop at rollerballs. I'll only write with a ballpoint if I have no choice.

Don't worry Sidney this is generally uncommon occurence.

Stainless steel is not corrosion-proof, just corrosion resistant. I've only had one pen with corroosion issues and it was steel on the section, not on the nib. I've never seen a nib corrode like this.

There is some debate about acidity of ink and its effects, but I think this is only a contributing factor rather than a cause.

Gold does not corrode at all. (unless your ink is made of highly concentrated nitric and hydrochloric acids - but in that case, you'd have lots bigger problems)

Edited by KendallJ

Kendall Justiniano
Who is John Galt?

Something like this, but not as bad, happened to my Expert II, which showed corrosion along the slit. There´s must be a lot of variability in the composition of these nibs, though - I have another Expert II, which has seen about the same amount of use, and has the nib still intact.

Do not panic :)

These are rather rare occurances.

But I am still very interested in them.

For example I would also like to see section rings corroded.

With respect to the comment, that gold does not corrode. Pure gold does not corrode. 18K is "very resistant" to corrosion. 14K is "resistant" to corrosion, 10K can corrode. etc. Same thing with stainless, it is resistant to corrosion.

However if the "quality" of the material is not good - for example locally the composition is not uniform - you can have sites prone to corrosion.

Plated nibs are supposed to be even more susceptible to corrosion that pure stainless.

In any way it is fun to see the examples. I hope this topic will serve as the depository of evidence. Close ups are especially interesting.

Does anyone have a corroded ring on a Pelikan or a Duofold? Are there any?

Edited by antoniosz

Excuse the poor shot.

This is the section of my American Parker 75, a replacement sent to me by Parker,

because the original one leaked (now repaired). It took 10 years of continuous use to form small defects like this which led to slow ink showing up on the surface of the metal. Why do pen makers put trim here? This particular kind of plated trim that Parker and Waterman used in the 80s-90s looks flimsy imo compared to those used currently by Pel, Cross and Sailor, but I prefer no trim whatsoever. In fact, I'm no longer buying pens with trim near the nib.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v233/jelb/IMG_2879.jpg

Regards,

Jeen

I've told myself that I won't ever buy a pen with trim near the nib. It certainly narrows down the field, when seeing a picture of a pretty new pen to just write it off with "Oh, it's got a nib trim ring". I don't think I realized that this would take the Pelkian M800 out of the running when I made that decision. Self-promises are made to be broken :)

Guest Denis Richard

Here's mine :D Trim ring of a Waterman Laureat (?). And this is a cartridge filler, so no issue with wiping the trim after a bottle refill. I think most of that trim corrosion happens in the cap, between ink crawling and vapors.

post-8-1129741844_thumb.jpg

Edited by Denis Richard

Here's mine :D Trim ring of a Waterman Laureat (?). And this is a cartridge filler, so no issue with wiping the trim after a bottle refill. I think most of that trim corrosion happens in the cap, between ink crawling and vapors.

Eeek! How long has this pen been in use? ( I'm newish to FPs and don't know waterman at all...cept I just ordered a serenite from Pam Braun :D )

I have several pelikan m200's with the steel nibs...I'd hate for them to come to harm. (though the nibs *are* replaceable).

Ceci

I am, therefore I think.

Guest Denis Richard

Hi Ceci,

this pen was not used, but kept ink for many many years on my dad's desk. It macerated in ink :D

Another Serenite convert ! :D

Denis.

• 1 month later...

Dedicated to the good old times is this nib which I found today in a vintage pen. There are few "ideas"/expressions that I detest. The glorification of the good old times is one of them. Needless to say that overall vintage pen collectors we are often susceptible to such hyperbole.

Anyway, I have heard about them before but never had the priviledge of owning one. Oh my, this 14K gold nib has corroded so badly.

http://www.streamload.com/azavalia/bank1.jpg

Nib removal shows the word plated hidden under the section :o

http://www.streamload.com/azavalia/bank2.jpg

Edited by antoniosz