The Fountain Pen Network uses (functional) cookies. Read the FPN Privacy Policy for more info.  To remove this message, please click here to accept the use of cookies

Registration on the Fountain Pen Network

Dearest Visitor of the little Fountain Pen Nut house on the digital prairie,

Due to the enormous influx of spammers, it is no longer possible to handle valditions in the traditional way. For registrations we therefore kindly and respectfully request you to send an email with your request to our especially created email address. This email address is register at fountainpennetwork dot com. Please include your desired user name, and after validation we will send you a return email containing the validation key, normally wiithin a week.

Thank you very much in advance!
The FPN Admin Team

Photo

P51 vac double jewel

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 Shelley

Shelley

iPen

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,515 posts

Posted 28 November 2007 - 06:05

There are many different types of Parker Model 51 out there, some rare, some fairly common.
I started my P51 love affair with an Aeromatic model, this was a typical, maroon/burgundy model with a gold nib, a battered body and a plain, brassed, scratched cap with a loose clip - it was love at first use!
I slowly acquired a couple of different models over the next few months, all of them Aero's, hunting for a flighter (who doesn't), until I heard about the vacs.
These intrigued me, more research and I found a picture of the double jewel model-I was in lust.
However price was prohibitive and it appeared that the only models shipped to New Zealand were the Aero models.
Well all was not least, I am a kiwi and we are known for overcoming obstacles.
I decided to try and build one myself-I asked the experts and the general answer was no way no how, it would not work, it would not fit, the colour would be off, etc etc.
Well I ignored that, the colour I wanted was either Cedar Blue or Cordovan Brown.
Well eventually I found part of what I wanted, a blue diamond gold clip on a silver coloured cap, cedar blue vac body, dated circa. 1947 with a gold F nib. It was a good price and so it was shipped from Canada to my stable, where it was promptly sent to Jay in Tauranga who restored and polished it for me. This was not without drama because at some stage in my pens life someone had put their initials or name on it, sold it and someone had then sanded that off. Still Jay smoothed it out nicely and its hardly noticable.
Next was the double jeweld blind cap - Ryan came to the rescue, he had one lying around, this turned out to be a 1942 model with a silver coulored aluminium jewel in place, different from the clear jewel on the cap, but I can live with that, the colour was close but not perfect. Off went my old aero in exchange for the blind cap.
I sent that down to Jay and he worked his magic and sent the pen back, polished smooth and beautiful!

So this is my pen, its mostly 1947, its part 1942, its a vac, its a P51, its a double jewel, its cedar blue, its not original, and its not for sale!! Some might call this a frankenpen, and in some ways they would be right, but I prefer the term unique.
This is my pen, its for using, I am not trying to pass it off as something its not-its a wonderful pen.

This lays down a lovely wet fine line, everytime I go to use it I get a silly smile on my face, not a good look in court where I work-but who's going to tell me off, heh heh, lawyers would'nt dare!
The Vac is a wonderful pen to use, you can post it, I prefer not to, but thats because that would hide all I have worked for with this pen.
The vac system seems to hold more ink that the aero system, it seems slightly more substantial in my hand than my old aero, the nib is just as smooth (if you have not used a P 51 then go and try one, you'll be amazed).
The clip is nice and tight, although I keep mine in a case you could clip it to a shirt if you wanted.
The cap is pull off, there is no skipping, coughing, bleeding, mess-it starts up everytime I want it to. Firt time, everytime.
At the moment I am running Parker Quink Blue in it, I used to not like this ink but it looks great coming out of this pen.

So all in all I am over the moon with this pen and a big thank you to all of those who helped to make this happen!
Cheers guys!
Lamy 2000-Lamy Vista-Visconti Van Gogh Maxi Tortoise Demonstrator-Pilot Vanishing Point Black Carbonesque-1947 Parker 51 Vacumatic Cedar Blue Double Jewel-Aurora Optima Black Chrome Cursive Italic-Waterman Hemisphere Metallic Blue-Sheaffer Targa-Conway Stewart CS475

Sponsored Content

#2 omasfan

omasfan

Antique

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,503 posts

Posted 28 November 2007 - 15:07

I have the same pen (but with sterling cap and single jewel) and it's one of the most iconic pens in my collection. I haven't used it in a while since my Italians normally take precedence, but I love its simplicity and functionality. I am not a "51" collector so I think your "Frankenpen" is totally ok. The double jewel definitely adds to the pen's attractiveness, I wished I had a double, too.

#3 rroossinck

rroossinck

Donor Pen

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,683 posts

Posted 28 November 2007 - 16:04

That's awesome, Shel. Jay and Sean - nice work on getting that one back together. I just donated the blind cap. smile.gif

Brassing Adds Character: Available by clicking on my signature.

Sponsored Content

|