Swan Fountain Pens

jhmclearly

Just received a nice vintage marbles Swan Minor which has stamped on the end SM1 (which I assume is Swam Minor 1) and then 57..... what does the 57 stand for ? The immediate thought is date but the pen dates from the 30's so that can't be right...

Can anyone throw any light on it.

And while I'm on why isn't there a specific forum for Mabit Todd/Swan ? As collectables are they not as popular as CS's or Wahls ?

Regards everybody.

John

• Replies 6
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• jhmclearly

• demeter

• Oxonian

Top Posters In This Topic

John,

I don't have the answer, but I am sure someone around here does...I know Oxonian has a wealth of information about pens and models. Just hang in there.

Andrew

Hi John,

I am blushing like mad at the compliment :embarrassed_smile: and hope that I can justify at least a few of the kind words

FPN member dlmoak has written a book on Mabie Todd in the USA of which I have not yet got a copy and in which he no doubt explains the several 'systems' that MT used for Swan pens over the years, Blackbird and Swallow pens had their own systems of numbering over the years.

The Waterman system is a simple, elegant and straight forward compared to some of the MT 'systems'

From observation it seems to go something like this and based on pens I have seen and handled.

The early Swan e/d pens sometimes carried a 4 digit number, like 4500,1513 etc. the 15xx series appeared with assorted different types of nibs and feed systems. The numbers usually appear on the side of the cap and/or on the butt of the barrel as the caps also exist without model numbers it can be fun trying to make up your mind which early model pen you might have as many will have been repaired in the dim and distant past with whatever parts were available that would fit.

The early self fillers, ie lever fillers carry the imprint SF plus numbers so you can see SF2/XXX in which the xxx will designate the sub type or model, colour etc. SF1 are smaller than SF2 etc, the spec of the original nib fitted to the pen in some of these series is imprinted on the side of the barrel towards the butt end along with the model designation so you could see SF2 then further round the barrel OBL. The type designation on these can also appear on the cap. Then there were the SF1xx and SF2xx series

Then there were the SM series which could well stand for Swan Model rather than Swan Minor as the same SM mark appears on several sizes of pen, once again there is a suffix following a / to further define the model within the range and the colour etc. I do not know the exact significance of all of the imprints and when you think you have got a grip then a pen will appear that changes your point of view and indeed make you rethink most of what you thought you knew.

The above is a vague outline and probably not a lot of help, it ignores the Eternal series pens and the later all number series, the leverless types and the Blackbirds etc which are a whole different kettle of fish and like the above can be expanded and discussed at great length.

Excuse me I need to order a book :)

cheers, John

Phew......

Hadn't realised it was so complicated. Many thanks John and Andrew for pointing out that you are the man !!!

It looks as if thats another book to add to my wish list

I still think there should be a Mabie Todd/Swan forum

Cheers

John

Oh and by the way John..... that Salz set really is quite nice :)

I don't suppose you've got a suitable nib ?

Edited by jhmclearly