WTB Large Pen with Broad Stub Nib

AndyHayes

I have been trying to find a pen in the "new" market and haven't been able to make a decision so I have decided to look at this from a different angle and go to the used market to see what is available. A "mistake" here wont be as expensive as the new market.

I prefer large pens and this must have a broad stub nib, be in very good condition and write smoothly without problems. No steel nibs please.

I had previously considered any of the following: -

1). Tamenuri Danitrio Densho

2). Bexley Poseidon

3). Danitrio Cumlaude

4). Lamy 2000

I would like to add some more to that list: -

1). Danitrio Densho Raw Ebonite

2). Pelikan 80x

3). Waterman Edson (black preferred)

4). Danitrio Mikado Raw Ebonite

5). Danitrio Genkai Raw Ebonite

6). Pilot VP (just the nib unit would be fine)

7). Sailor 1911

What I don't want is a Lamy (other than the 2000) as I already own or have given away sufficient of these, nor a Pilot 78G, which I have already. I don't want any vintage pens either nor any MBs.

I prefer black pens, but wouldn't rule out any other colours including such as tortoiseshell.

I am in the UK and can pay by PayPal, or bank transfer to UK accounts. Whilst I would like to take advantage of the US$ at the moment I am concerned about the possibility of import charges, but perhaps you have an idea.

PM me with anything that you might have that you think might interest me as well as price and postage to the UK, whether it be on the list above or not.

Thanks

Andy

• Replies 16
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• AndyHayes

• mehitabel

• James P

• scogre

Top Posters In This Topic

Did you see James P's post that he found a few NOS Sailor Naginata pens? Black was one of the options. You didn't mention this model, but it is larger than the 1911 large, which is on your list. The Sailor music nib is a wonderful smooth broad stub - like butter. Jame didn't say which nibs were available. And, of course, it is always a pleasure to deal with James.

mehitabel

there's a dance or two in the old dame yet - mehitabel the cat

Hi Andy,

I don't have anything to offer you, other than comments. I also like big black pens with stubs! The Densho in raw ebonite is a sweet pen! I got the regular stub on mine, and I might try the soft stub next. You might also want to consider the Stipula Etruria. You can get it either with a .9 or 1.1 stub. I bought a nice black one with silver appointments and the 1.1 stub. It is a very sweet pen! Not huge, but it is large, and it has a nice heft to it. I think you'd like it! I have a Tamenuri Mikado, and although I like big pens, this one is almost too big! Not heavy, but just very large. I'd be willing to make you a deal on it, but it has the soft fine nib - not a stub by any means!

Good Luck on your quest!

Scott.

Did you see James P's post that he found a few NOS Sailor Naginata pens? Black was one of the options. You didn't mention this model, but it is larger than the 1911 large, which is on your list. The Sailor music nib is a wonderful smooth broad stub - like butter. Jame didn't say which nibs were available. And, of course, it is always a pleasure to deal with James.

mehitabel

I was nearly lured into the buying an Edson "trap" by James. There I was minding my own business looking for a big pen with a stub nib when along he comes with an Edson at a price within budget. I was so close to buying it. I had to get a firm grip of myself and get myself back on track. Yes there is an Edson in my future, but not yet unless it is black, a stub and stunningly priced! Funnily enough a fellow FPN'er is sending me an example of handwriting with a Sailor Music nib as well as a Bexley stub and something by Platinum. If I can't make a decision after this I need a slap!

Hi Andy,

I don't have anything to offer you, other than comments. I also like big black pens with stubs! The Densho in raw ebonite is a sweet pen! I got the regular stub on mine, and I might try the soft stub next. You might also want to consider the Stipula Etruria. You can get it either with a .9 or 1.1 stub. I bought a nice black one with silver appointments and the 1.1 stub. It is a very sweet pen! Not huge, but it is large, and it has a nice heft to it. I think you'd like it! I have a Tamenuri Mikado, and although I like big pens, this one is almost too big! Not heavy, but just very large. I'd be willing to make you a deal on it, but it has the soft fine nib - not a stub by any means!

Good Luck on your quest!

Scott.

I had a broad Densho and it is a nice pen. I wish that the ink flow was more controllable. I can't get mine exactly how I like it. It's possibly a bit wet for me. I hadn't thought about the Stipula. Just had a quick look at TNS' review. Looks impressive, but I have enough complications without adding another! You could be right though, it really might be worth a look, especially as a 1.1

I too have a Mikado. My hands aren't that big, but I have long slimmish fingers, but I find the Mikado at the limit of comfort in girth. Mine has a soft medium nib in mine.

Trap? Trap??? Those, my good man, are fighting words. Snorkels at Dawn!

PS: I have a Waterman L'Etalon with a big beautiful broad cursive italic nib w/ your name on it . . .

So here's what happened
While you were nappin'
I just went out for a snack
I was feelin' famished
And then I vanished...
But now I'm back

mehitabel

I was nearly lured into the buying an Edson "trap" by James. There I was minding my own business looking for a big pen with a stub nib when along he comes with an Edson at a price within budget. I was so close to buying it. I had to get a firm grip of myself and get myself back on track. Yes there is an Edson in my future, but not yet unless it is black, a stub and stunningly priced! Funnily enough a fellow FPN'er is sending me an example of handwriting with a Sailor Music nib as well as a Bexley stub and something by Platinum. If I can't make a decision after this I need a slap!

I have both the Sailor with the music nib and the Bexley Simplicity with a stub. I like and use them both. The Sailor nib is both wetter and smoother. I also bought one of Kevin's Danitrio Cum Laude stogies with the stub nib. I like that one very much as well.

mehitabel

A friend of mine uses the following as one of his signatures:

I thoroughly disapprove of duels. I consider them unwise and I know

they are dangerous. Also, sinful. If a man should challenge me, I would

take him kindly and forgivingly by the hand and lead him to a quiet

retired spot and kill him. —Autobiography of Mark Twain

mehitabel

PS: I have a Waterman L'Etalon with a big beautiful broad cursive italic nib w/ your name on it . . .

But what about the Sailor Naginatas?

I have to say that I had the most hideous experience with Waterman and their backup (Parker in Newhaven) and it has all but put me off the brand. The Edson is the only one that has escaped a natural loathing. Waterman pens are probably really good, but when they go wrong it's the devil's own job to get Parker to fix them. I thought that their next question was going to be a sample of DNA from the unborn love-child, such was the hoop exercises I had to go through.

I saw a Sheaffer Balance with a stub nib on isellpens.com....I'm not sure if that's big enough but it's relatively cheap. Please buy it before I do!

As I understand it, the Naginatas I'll be getting will be equipped with Sailor's standard nibs, not the Togi nibs. Of course, that doesn't mean I couldn't install a Togi for you.

Have you perhaps considered a Cross Emperor nib on the Nagahara Limited Edition Mosaic I have available? :eureka: :drool: :puddle:

So here's what happened
While you were nappin'
I was feelin' famished
And then I vanished...
But now I'm back

As I understand it, the Naginatas I'll be getting will be equipped with Sailor's standard nibs, not the Togi nibs. Of course, that doesn't mean I couldn't install a Togi for you.

Have you perhaps considered a Cross Emperor nib on the Nagahara Limited Edition Mosaic I have available? :eureka: :drool: :puddle:

Well, now you are trying to set a trap!

mehitabel

SSShhhhh :ninja:

This is not a trap. Do not follow this link. You will not see this pen:

http://www.peartreepens.com/images/nagahara_mosaic_web.jpg

with this nib: http://www.peartreepens.com/images/cross_nib_web.jpg.

Again, this is not a trap.

Trust me. I'm a lawyer. I'm here to help!

James

So here's what happened
While you were nappin'
I was feelin' famished
And then I vanished...
But now I'm back

Wow, James! That is just beautiful.

Maybe when I graduate . . .

I wish there was somewhere near here that had all of the Sailor nibs. I'd love to try a Cross-Emperor Nib or, perhaps more within my means, a Togi nib. It's hard to know exactly what they're like without trying them, but I've heard the Togi is exquisitely smooth.

Edited by RyanL27

"I have striven not to laugh at human actions, not to weep at them, nor to hate them, but to understand them."

- Baruch Spinoza

SSShhhhh :ninja:

<snip pictures of gorgeous pen>

Again, this is not a trap.

Trust me. I'm a lawyer. I'm here to help!

James

Not a trap? Yeah, sure. And my check for the pen is in the mail!

mehitabel

Good grief!!

It's just getting more complicated instead of less!

Once I see some handwriting samples from a fellow FPN'r I might have a clue what I am looking for.

Thanks a lot for all of the suggestions though.