Esterbrook J for over a hundred dollars?

DaveM

I am looking at getting a "J" or two to learn restoration on, and use as an affordable collection starter. Most of the pens I have seen that needed restoration were about 15-30 dollars, and really nice restored ones seemed to go for about $45 to $55 or so.

Now, I see an auction that is up to $118 for a restored red one. I know the red seems to go for a few bucks more than the green and the other common colors, but is there something else special about this pen? The only thing I see right off hand is that it is in about the nicest condition I have seen, and the chrome, plastic and nib all look perfect. Is the steep rise in price a reflection of the excellent condition of the pen? I have to admit that I looked at that pen, and decided it was the nicest looking photograph I had seen of a J, and I might have been tempted to bid higher than normal, myself, if I had known more about these pens. Still too much of an Esterbrook newbie to jump in to the expensive end of the pool!

Sure is pretty though...

Here's the auction

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewI...I:IT&ih=016

Too young for Medicare, too old for women to care.

• Replies 26
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• jmkeuning

• mehitabel

• Brian Anderson

• 4tunaguy

Top Posters In This Topic

Woah. I have no idea why that thing is so spendy. Is the red J that rare? Otherwise, I am not impressed.

Fool: One who subverts convention or orthodoxy or varies from social conformity in order to reveal spiritual or moral truth.

Nope. Just a plain old J with a less than spectacular nib. Either there's something funny going on there by the seller or those are two completely inexperienced bidders. (probably the latter)

Or, wait, if Red J's are going for $118 each, I have a bunch I would happily sell for the measly price of $75 each. :)

IMO, no standard J should go for more than $35-40.

Best-

Brian

www.esterbrook.net All Esterbrook, All the Time.

Prices paid so far on eBay for working J series in last couple of months -

Black LJ - $23 (great condition)

Red J - $16 (great condition)

Copper SJ from a fellow FPNer - $23

Green J with broken jewel - not working when received - was sold for $12 - $12 to repair it, required a new nib

I sure would not pay that kind of price!

<i>"Most people go through life using up half their energy trying to protect a dignity they never had."</i><br>-Marlowe, in <i>The Long Goodbye</i>

Man, and just a 1554 nib to boot. Heck, for that price, they should make it a top of the line 9xxx nib tweaked by RB!

<i>"Most people go through life using up half their energy trying to protect a dignity they never had."</i><br>-Marlowe, in <i>The Long Goodbye</i>

That's what I thought, everybody. I figured it was kind of overpriced. I wasn't sure if it was a secret ultra rare variant that I didn't recognize, or something like that. I also thought the seller was being very fair in his description of it. It looks nice, but he doesn't go on and on about it's rarity, and historical importance. He seems to sell a lot of nicer than average pens, and has excellent feedback. I am guessing that he is a restorer, as they all look to be fixed up quite nicely. Thanks for the information.

Too bad I don't have one of these bad boys to sell...

Imagine what Philip Benz could get for this one of a kind, super rare, ultra minty piece of fountain pen history! :ltcapd:

Dave

Too young for Medicare, too old for women to care.

With all our luck, this will be the one auction every antique dealer sees tonight. Poof! Every esterbrook in an antique store will go up in price overnight!! :D

Man, that thing is now up to $163.00 with about 40 minutes to go.

I just bought a red Esterbrook for $12.00 which I will re-sac and clean up some...hope it will be ready to go. Also have a couple 9xxx nibs.

Wonder how close to $200.00 the red one on eBay will get? Have to check it again in a few.

You can't plow a field by turning it over in your mind.

Sometimes you see something and you just gotta say... "What the ...??!!" So...

"What the ....?!!" :huh:

"I know that you believe you understand what you think I said, but I'm not sure you realize that what you heard is not what I meant.” - Robert McClosky

I do hate to cast apersions (sp). I think these two have to be "shills". Seriously,

Look down the listings there are J's everywhere and none near this price.

Just my opinion...

Steve

AWN%252520ADD.jpg

I've seen that easterbb on a few other Esties that I was looking at. Don't know anything about the person...

Fool: One who subverts convention or orthodoxy or varies from social conformity in order to reveal spiritual or moral truth.

Well, easterbb also just bought a fairly usual Copper estie for $51.00. This bidder has driven up the price on many items I wanted, but, oddly, never was the winner.... notice that (s)he has only two feedbacks. My cruel side is very happy easterbrook spent $51.00 for a $12.00 pen, but I wonder about his/her driving the price on the Red Model J to $163.00 and leaving it to another unsuspecting buyer.

Edited by jdclarkson

http://home.earthlink.net/~athanatos/John-Sig%203.png

"Let those who don't want none

have memories of not gettin' any."

—Bro. David Gardner

I've seen that easterbb on a few other Esties that I was looking at. Don't know anything about the person...

He just won an auction for a copper Estie - $51. He also won a gray Estie (that was likely a visumaster but not identified as such) several days ago for $78.

mehitabel

there's a dance or two in the old dame yet - mehitabel the cat

Well, I suppose we will see if this easterbb actually pays for the pens. We'll have to check back in with his feedback in about a month.

As for the winner of the auction, that buyer has bought and paid for some nice stuff lately, all reasonably priced... so this is odd!

As for the shill theory - does that imply unclean hands on the part of the seller? I do not think this seller is involved, I understand him to be well-known and of good repute.

It's just an odd situation!

As for the shill theory - does that imply unclean hands on the part of the seller? I do not think this seller is involved, I understand him to be well-known and of good repute.

That being the case my Apologies.

Steve

AWN%252520ADD.jpg

He's got a yellow cracked ice up to $165.50 with almost 24 hours to go.

mehitabel

there's a dance or two in the old dame yet - mehitabel the cat

Nothing too unusual about that. It looks to be a good example of a hard to find pen.

Best-

Brian

That being the case my Apologies.

Steve

I only know that because I have seen people refer to the seller by his first name. I would otherwise have guessed the same thing you did! In fact, if I were the seller, who clearly knows his pens, I would be worried that others would suspect me of wrongdoing.

For real, this is like a bic selling for ten bucks.

It's totally insane!

Nothing too unusual about that. It looks to be a good example of a hard to find pen.

Best-

Brian

Now, THAT PEN, is amazing. I would not pay for it, but it is fun to look at!