Why should I buy a modern Conway Stewart?

Blade Runner

I have one modern Conway Stewart---the Dandy. It has a fine nib and writes very good, especially with Waterman Blue-Black. Has a nice wet flow, but not too much.

If I were going to buy another Conway Stewart, and was worried about performance, I'd buy it from Richard Binder. My understanding from his web site is that he tests each one he sells and it doesn't set in the que.

Mescoff

Edited by Mescof1

• Replies 36
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• KCkc

• Carrie

• Blade Runner

• Greg

Could anyone post a Dandy and a 58 side by side? I'm very seriously thinking of splashing out on a new CS when I get my redundancy and I'm thinking that it will be a 58 or a Dandy.

• 2 weeks later...
for consolation, CS does offer 18kt hallmarked trim

OK, I was staring at the trim of my CS last night and here's what I found out...

1. only the middle cap band of the 100 and the cap band of Churchill has hallmark 18kt

2. the clip has the word "METAL" inscribed on it

So I presume only the hallmarked cap band is 18 kt and other gold color trim is metal. I still like CS Colors, though.

I still like their looks & trim overall but still have reservation about their performance -- based on my finicky hands experience.

Could anyone post a Dandy and a 58 side by side? I'm very seriously thinking of splashing out on a new CS when I get my redundancy and I'm thinking that it will be a 58 or a Dandy.

Carrie, what's a redundancy? Is that like a tax overpayment? I have a hunch that we don't use the word like you're going to explain it to me. ;)

Roger

Southern Arizona, USA

Fountain Pen Talk Mailing List

Carrie, what's a redundancy? Is that like a tax overpayment? I have a hunch that we don't use the word like you're going to explain it to me. ;)

At the risk of getting off topic here. I had been told that I was losing my job, so I would have had a lump sum payment to play with and so was thinking it would be the best chance I'll ever have of acquiring a new CS. However, I've now been told I'm being put on a temporary contract, so no job security and no pen spending money either Got to ask, how would you be using the term redundancy?

At the risk of getting off topic here. I had been told that I was losing my job, so I would have had a lump sum payment to play with and so was thinking it would be the best chance I'll ever have of acquiring a new CS. However, I've now been told I'm being put on a temporary contract, so no job security and no pen spending money either Got to ask, how would you be using the term redundancy?

Won't be long off topic cause my answer is short. :D

Unless I've been too long from the workplace, I'm not familiar with the word used in the workplace.

I just think of it as "superfluous", "unnecessary" which fits, I guess, in your usage, also. Thanks.

Roger

Southern Arizona, USA

Fountain Pen Talk Mailing List

Hi Carrie,

I think you better get some legal advice. A breach in contract like that, and that it is, essentially means you have been fired, and hired again on a temporary contract, so you should still be due the lump sum payment.

Please do get some legal advice, what they are doing to you is just plain ridiculous. They are just trying to get out of forking out the lump sum payment.

HTH, warm regards, Wim

the Mad Dutchman
laugh a little, love a little, live a lot; laugh a lot, love a lot, live forever

Wim, I certainly do plan to get legal advice because I agree with what you're saying. We only heard final decisions yesterday, so not had chance to do anything about it yet, but I will. Not happy right now. They're saying it's a continuation of my current contract, just on a temporary basis, but the temporary bit has to make it a different contract. They've not given me a new contract or a job description, it's all just a mess.

Wim, I certainly do plan to get legal advice because I agree with what you're saying. We only heard final decisions yesterday, so not had chance to do anything about it yet, but I will. Not happy right now. They're saying it's a continuation of my current contract, just on a temporary basis, but the temporary bit has to make it a different contract. They've not given me a new contract or a job description, it's all just a mess.

Sorry to hear about all your job hassles. Please keep us posted - praying things straighten out and your company does what's right!

"But God demonstrates His own love toward us, in that while we were still sinners, Christ died for us." (Rom. 5:8, NKJV)

• 2 months later...

I'm not sure if this threadis still open, but here's my experience with a new CS.

With a bit of unexpected inheritance I decided on a gold nibbed pen from Harrods which would be my 'everyday' pen. I looked at all sorts of pens but plumped for CS because they are beautiful in every way, but primarily made in England.

I wanted a Churchill but this was over my budget. I sent an email to CS saying I wanted a pen not a gift set with unwanted cigars. They kindly responded letting me buy just the pen, smaller 'casket', £50 cheaper. Sold. I went back to Harrods with my choice pen in mind. Then came the choices!

I chose Red Whirl from a huge leather holder of sample body materials, chose solid silver trim to go with it (just to be different and the gold can look very 'stuffy'), chose a silver coloured nib to match, chose my preferred filling system (button, but then was told they couldn't do that so lever it is), chose a fine nib (to write medium, expecting it to thicken with heavy use). This was a wonderful pleasure that took me over an hour! I was told my pen would be ready in 2 weeks.

It arrived and is simply stunning. Much better looking than I had imagined and writes wonderfully, full thickness, wet line. The finishing is perfection, even the ring on the tapered end follows the taper perfectly and is smooth to touch. It has beautfully deep colours and a 'wet look' shine. It is numbered 375/10, perhaps no.10 red whirl Churchill from a limit of 375, but I bet the only one with silver trim!

However - the cap has no vent hole and if you whip it off quick the pen will blob. I sent it back to CS, they returned it in 2 weeks, still with the problem but slightly improved. Solution, I flick the lever when I take the cap off to suck a little before use. If I forget it will occasionally blob. This is not good, but I love the pen too much to change anything.

The nib is flexy for a modern pen, not as soft as the old CSs. It is expressive enough for me (I'm no calligrapher) and continues to write with a reliable, even, wet line.

I use the pen all day, each day, the finish remains like new, but I do have to remember to flick the lever, now a habit but irritating that its needed. However, Aston Martins aren't loved for their reliability and I haven't plucked up the courage to drill a little vent hole.

Oddly the nib/feed screws into the body.

Cannot recommend enough, especially if yours doesn't blob!

Greg

Member of the No.1 Club

Hi Greg,

Sounds like you got great service from Harrods (not surprised) and the pen sounds great, how about a pic ?.

You have a bespoke pen, I like the idea of no cigar etc..great idea.

I'm into CS's but the vintage versions. I posted a pic of vintage CS 100 and 58 in review section.

Cheers

Gary

A wizard is never late, he arrives precisely when he means to.

Hi, Gary

Thanks for wading through my diatribe! Harrods were great, not sure what country the guy behind the counter came from but he knew about pens and was enthusiastic and helpful. Wouldn't normally go to Harrods (not a fan of the way the boss turns up to work!) but there was a reason.

I love the older CSs too, in fact I sometimes with I'd used the money on a vintage pen instead. I read your impressions on the 58 and 100 yesterday in fact, those would be the sorts of pen I would have bought with a portion of the money the Churchill cost! I'm envious.

I have a few older CSs, a 388, a 14, an 84, a couple of 150s and an old BCHR Scribe. They are nice pens but, to be honest, don't set the world alight, but then they are also all from the cheaper end of the scale. The Scribe will be the best, but I haven't got it working yet, closely followed by the 150s, which I know aren't 'proper' CSs, in that they have Pressacs and come in the decline, but are wholly reliable and nice to use.

I hope to do some pics (perhaps a 'before and after' of the Scribe!)

My poor ebay hobby (habit?) is searching out CSs and placing ridiculously low bids (got an Onoto for 99p last week!). Only bargains I'm afraid, although I would be tempted on a decent spend for a mottled red hard rubber CS with a flanged lollipop. The bigger the better!

Greg

Member of the No.1 Club

although I would be tempted on a decent spend for a mottled red hard rubber CS with a flanged lollipop.

Oh yes please :drool: :drool: :drool: :drool: :drool: :drool:

Gary

A wizard is never late, he arrives precisely when he means to.

I get lured in all the time. I had my eye on a 205M on the dreaded ebay yesterday. Apparantly the lever was loose. It was running on about £8 for ages. Sold for nearly £70 - about £50 more than my drop out point!

Greg

Member of the No.1 Club

Greg, I've got my mum's 150 at my house at the moment. I fitted a new sac on it for her and after she was in hospital it sort of never quite found its way back home. You never seem to see that many of them on EBay, the ones I've seen must be later in date than the one my mum has because they have "Conway" written down the clip. My mum's was bought in 1964 and has the more traditional clip with CS in the diamond. I just wish I could straighten out the nib completely, lord only knows what must have happened to it to get it as bent as it was.

• 2 weeks later...

Nothing wrong with the 150s, Carrie. Maybe the materials aren't as beautiful as found in earlier CS pens but the nibs are absolutley fine and I have found mine very reliable. They're actually quite elegant, if rather plain and the 'Pressac' works well and holds a huge amount of ink. I have one (maroon) with the old diamond clip and another (sky blue) with the straight clip with 'Conway' written on. Prefer the older but otherwise both as good.

I expect, being later models made in the decline they might be spurned by some and I wouldn't count them as sacred, but they are useful. I have brown ink in the maroon pen and guess what in the sky blue pen?

Greg

Member of the No.1 Club