Bronze CS 100

Stylophiles

WARNING!!!! Right at the start, I need to say that my wife works for the US distributor of Conway Stewart!

Of course, that's how I managed to get my hands on this pen in the first place, so maybe any possible bias works out in the end?

If you've tried the CS 100, you know it's sort of their answer to the Pelikan M800 or MB 146 niche. It's large enough to be a "Flagship Pen", but still not an oversize pen like the M1000 or MB 149. So, it's a good size, offered with a piston filler, and has a nice selection of nibs. Toss in some wild colours and it's been a good seller for Conway Stewart.

http://www.stylophilesonline.com/images/3.jpg

I haven't been as wildly excited about them, though. They're just a bit too small for me. I "need" a 149 sized pen. That's untill I got my hands on this sample, in a new colour for the 100 model. It's called "Bronze", and frankly, I'm not sure if my wife will be able to get this one back from me!

If this were "celluloid" instead of "acrylic" it would be one of those hugely expensive LE pens. I'm glad they chose the less expensive acrylic, it's really just as good looking, and if it holds the price down a bit, that's fine by me. (and my budget!) The colour is a luminescent brown with pearl highlights and darker brown veins. It's one of those materials that really lights up as you turn the pen in your hand.

From an aesthetic standpoint, this pen is all good. Writing-wise, it scores pretty high as well. I still think it's a bit too slim for my hand, but there is no getting around the fact that it IS a usable pen, and will probably be considered perfect by most hands. I post the cap, and it balances well, but if you choose not to, the barrel is still long enough.

http://www.stylophilesonline.com/images/4a.jpg

The best part, for me, is the nib selection. Everything from extra fine (which is what this sample had fitted) to a double broad, as well as fine, medium, and broad italics. I'm loving the medium italic. Nice, crisp lines with good width variation. Although, I have to say, the extra fine on the sample is also very nice. A thin line, maybe not as fine as I would expect form an "extra" fine, but still... If you fill out lots of fussy little forms and need something precise, this might suit your needs.

The piston filler is the "built-in converter" type, and so ink capacity might be a bit less than a comparablly sized piston filler that's using the whole barrel. Still plenty of ink for "real world" use.

So... Am I biased? Well, maybe a bit. But I'm also impressed! I have been excited to see the approach that the new owners of CS have taken with getting the company back on it's feet. I've been feeling a bit bad that I haven't supported the efforts by buying one of their pens. It looks like that will be changing in the near future if they can put me together a Bronze 100 with the mdium italic nib. (Before I spend all my money on buying other people Christmas presents, that is!)

The weight is 25 grams and the length 5 1/2 inches long closed, and 1/2 inch across the barrel.

Edited by Stylophiles

• Replies 9
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Keith with a capital K

• Free Citizen

• Stylophiles

• Maja

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest Denis Richard

Hi Bill,

This is a gorgeous pen (and pictures of course, as always), and a very interesting review.

Do you know (and if you do, can you tell us ?) if the new CS owners plan to release a lower price point line ? I know their prices are not those of LE, but I have a small budget <_<

I'm hoping..... I know that they are looking into a LOT of changes right now, and I would imagine that trying to hit all of the price points will be a significant part of their planning for future.

Of course, I find myself saying this about most modern makers.... Need to hit all the price points!

BR

Bill,

Despite my normal aversion to modern pens, the fact that this is a Conway Stewart and that it is such a fabulous colour means that you'll have to ask the missus if Luxury Brands can run a special for FPN members.

My limited experience with the new CS nibs has been very good and although they cannot compare to the vintage CS nibs they are extremely well made and are excellent performers.

I'd think she'd probably cut you a really good deal on one of these too.

;)

Cheers!

Please visit http://members.shaw.ca/feynn/

Please direct repair inquiries to capitalpen@shaw.ca

Bill, you made that pen very desirable to own. Especially with the holiday season fast approaching. How does it feel compared to a Centennial?

T-H Lim

Life is short, so make the best of it while we still have it.

On that price point thing...

If manufacturers want to attract new users and collectors, they should offer entry level pens of high quality at more attractive prices. I'm thinking of pens in the $85.00 range which is still a fair sum for most and I really want to see some nice "school" pens in the sub $40.00 range from some of the big guys.

I'd be more than happy to go across the pond and lend those guys at CS a hand in the design studio as then we would see some beautiful CS pens that more people could afford.

I'm all for any company who would be willing to take a shot at knocking pens like the Pel M200 and Waterman Phileas off their respective perches and constantly wonder why we don't see more pens in this price range from some of our favourite manufacturers.

Please visit http://members.shaw.ca/feynn/

Please direct repair inquiries to capitalpen@shaw.ca

I'm all for any company who would be willing to take a shot at knocking pens like the Pel M200 and Waterman Phileas off their respective perches and constantly wonder why we don't see more pens in this price range from some of our favourite manufacturers.

Don't forget the Parker Frontier. A favourite of Frank Dubiel. And not too far off is the Sheaffer Javelin, nice price and size. Oh, don't forget the Lamy Safari? It is pens like these that get buyers to buy their brand. And when they do, they tend to work up the ladder to more expensive models. Look at me, from Frontier through to Centennials :lol:

T-H Lim

Life is short, so make the best of it while we still have it.

Wow, Bill! :o That is one gorgeous pen....and the photography ain't half bad, either ;)

I think I am in love with the CS 100 :wub:

I have a few vintage Conway Stewarts and I love their sweet little flexy nibs but I would love to own a modern one someday.....

Any idea why CS used the model number 100 again? I know there is a vintage CS 100 fountain pen that was made from 1954-58 and it only came in black....I thought they would have used a new number for this new model.....

Thanks Bill,

That is a beautiful pen. Mary sent me the brochures and I`ve been drooling over them. Sigh.

I`m so glad that you have joined this forum and feel comfortable in posting about CS.

You and Mary are such an important part of pendom. :D

Best wishes to you both.

Fountain Pen Abundance