The Fountain Pen Network uses (functional) cookies. Read the FPN Privacy Policy for more info.  To remove this message, please click here to accept the use of cookies

Registration on the Fountain Pen Network

Dearest Visitor of the little Fountain Pen Nut house on the digital prairie,

Due to the enormous influx of spammers, it is no longer possible to handle valditions in the traditional way. For registrations we therefore kindly and respectfully request you to send an email with your request to our especially created email address. This email address is register at fountainpennetwork dot com. Please include your desired user name, and after validation we will send you a return email containing the validation key, normally wiithin a week.

Thank you very much in advance!
The FPN Admin Team

Photo

Whither Sensa?

• Please log in to reply
12 replies to this topic

#1 AJCxZ0

AJCxZ0

Professor Gumby

• Member - Gold

• PipPip
  • 14 posts

Posted 14 November 2007 - 10:56

Sensa had a web site with details of their lovely pens. Now they don't and trying to go to it gets you redirtected to the Sanford (a Newell Rubbermaid company) Consumer home page where one has to dig deep to find mention of Sensa products and even then no details of anything except SKUs and ink refills can be found. The Internet Archive shows the site was there on the 13th of August, 2007.

Both The Fountain Pen Hospital where I got my Meridian Crystal Silver (but who don't list Sensa as a brand) and Overstock.com are still selling them. Perhaps the apparently greatly discounted prices are to clear a discontinued product line from a discontinued brand?

So what happened to Sensa? I've found no news of their demise.

Current: ensso PIUMA (brass), TWSBI VAC 700, Monteverde Invincia Stealth, Sensa Meridian Crystal Silver, Parker 95
Previous: Pelican Epoch, Libelle Vortex Grey Swirl, Shaeffer Triumph Imperial Palladium, Parker 25
Ink: Parker Quink Black, Royal Blue Washable (with SOLV-X)

Sponsored Content

#2 CharlieB

CharlieB

French Roast Coffee

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,167 posts

Posted 14 November 2007 - 20:30

I have a really nice-writing Sensa Meridian that a good friend gave me two years ago. It really is a nice pen.
CharlieB

"The moment he opened the refrigerator, he saw it. Caponata! Fragrant, colorful, abundant, it filled an entire soup dish, enough for at least four people.... The notes of the triumphal march of Aida came spontaneously, naturally, to his lips." -- Andrea Camilleri, Excursion to Tindari, p. 212

#3 dennisraines

dennisraines

Mint

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPip
  • 64 posts

Posted 21 November 2007 - 21:43

From what I understand it was just simply discontinued, however it's fairly easy to find around the web, on and off of ebay (which is where I got mine). Also a lot of pen sites have been putting them on clearance or have sales prices.

It has some quirks, but I rather like it. I don't think it sold particularly well though.

#4 bytethegroove

bytethegroove

Dipped Only

• Member - Gold

• Pip
  • 4 posts

Posted 05 March 2009 - 14:55

sensa sold wonderfully.....that is why shauffer bought them. to kill its competition...
Sensa by far are the best pens to date made

#5 Univer

Univer

Collectors Item

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,444 posts

Posted 05 March 2009 - 15:45

Not sure who Shauffer is, but I'm pretty sure Sheaffer didn't buy them. Newell Rubbermaid owns Parker and Waterman, among other brands, but not Sheaffer. Credit for dismantling that particular icon belongs at the doorstep of Bic.

Cheers,

Jon

#6 Melnicki

Melnicki

M.Melnicki

• Member - Gold

• 994 posts

Posted 05 March 2009 - 18:01

FWIW my Sensa Meridians are the only pens to handle the pesky Noodler's Russian inks (which sort of clog up a feed if you let a pen sit unused for a while). These pens have had Tolstoy, Akhmatova, Rachmaninov sit unused for months (months!) and started up RIGHT away. Same goes for Highlands Heather (which has had several different batches, but mine (Deirdre's, rather) dries on the nib pretty horrendously, in EVERY pen I tried, except my Sensa's).

A couple gripes about the pen are that you can't really "choke up" (hold the pen quite close to the nib), and that the "M" nib that I have is finer than the "F"'s that I have!!!! One of my gold-plated "F"s could use some smoothing, as it has a sweet spot, but the other GP nib is spectacular for what I paid.

Also, if you use some pressure over time, you can turn them into semiflex.

Click for Ink Scans!!

WTB: (Blemished OK)
CdA Dunas // Stipulas! (esp w/ Titanio nib) // Edison Pearl

#7 blackranger63

blackranger63

Vintage

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 522 posts

Posted 06 March 2009 - 18:17

Good pens. They do what fountain pens are designed to do, put ink to paper in a legible and consistent manner. Mine did well with Baystate Blue!!!
Blackranger
"Don't sweat the small stuff, and it's all small stuff."

#8 kookychick

kookychick

Potentially Percipicacious

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 355 posts

Posted 07 March 2009 - 00:47

QUOTE (Melnicki @ Mar 5 2009, 01:01 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
FWIW my Sensa Meridians are the only pens to handle the pesky Noodler's Russian inks (which sort of clog up a feed if you let a pen sit unused for a while).

I don't usually frequent this part of FPN, but I happened to see the word "Sensa" on the right hand column! smile.gif

This must be why I love Rachmaninov so much in these pens (though I still dilute it a little). I tend to be pretty bad about leaving ink in my Sensas without using them for a while (I have too many pens inked currently! embarrassed_smile.gif ). I tried using some Sensas last night that I hadn't used in probably a month or so--they were inked with Noodler's La Reine Mauve, Britannia's Blue Waves (reputed to have stingy flow), Spirit of Bamboo, Prime of the Commons Blue-Black, and diluted Rachmaninov. Much to my surprise, they all started right up immediately!

These pens are a must for me--for some weird reason, I tend to squeeze the heck out of pens while I'm writing. If I write for long periods of time with other pens, I get horrible hand cramps. But I can write for hours with these pens! wub.gif

Inks currently in pens: Noodler's La Reine Mauve, Rachmaninov, Prime of the Commons Blue-Black, Naval Orange, MN Whaleman's Sepia, Verdun Green, Majestic Orange; J. Herbin Violette Pensée, Rose Cyclamen, Orange Indien

Blog Twitter Facebook

#9 ToasterPastry

ToasterPastry

Uncrowned King of Finchley

• Member - Gold

• 1,169 posts

Posted 17 March 2009 - 16:41

After I saw the thread originally posted, I literally bought the Sensa Meridan Noir and Gold for $35. I then sold the pen for the same price three days after I bought it. What a piece of junk. I tend to be a collector of vintage pens, and the Sensa pen is a good example of the reason why. I wanted a tough, knockabout, daily use pen that if it became scratched, I wouldn't become depressed.

So the first question one must ask is why do they put a squishy thing--called plutonium or plasmonium or whatever--in the middle of a fountain pen? Yes, I'm aware of the history of Sensa. But the whole point of a fountain pen is that you are not supposed to put the Vulcan Death Grip on it; light in the hand, easy with the flow.

Secondly the 1-micron of gold plating that was on the pen came off of it within the first 15 minutes. The plating was so thin I couldn't even see the dust. Third, and most, importantly the pen is the cheap -bling- construction. Looks pretty in the pictures, but doesn't work. Ink flow would spontaneously stop during writing on multiple occasions, even after I had washed the pen out. Initially I thought I was getting a good deal for a $90 pen. Turns out, nobody buys that pen for $90, and never did the day it was offered.

Good riddance Sensa!
Posted Image

Follow me on Twitter!
Read my silly blog!

#10 scratchy

scratchy

Vintage

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 648 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 01 April 2009 - 20:59

QUOTE (Univer @ Mar 5 2009, 04:45 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Not sure who Shauffer is, but I'm pretty sure Sheaffer didn't buy them. Newell Rubbermaid owns Parker and Waterman, among other brands, but not Sheaffer. Credit for dismantling that particular icon belongs at the doorstep of Bic.

I'm keen to know more about the history of Bic. Can anyone help? There are probably articles on this forum that I haven't found yet, so apologies if I've missed the obvious.

As for Sensas, the first "expensive" pen I bought online was a "champagne/gold" F nib Sensa Meridian and I found it heavy and unweildy and the cap didn't screw on and off easily. I was disappointed even though I tried very hard to like this pen. I had ordered it from the USA and I live in the UK so couldn't really send it back because of postage costs. It is sitting in a stationery box somewhere in my parents house these days. Never looked back after I got a Sailor Professional Gear. I suppose it taught me a lesson not to be so gullible to advertising. Basically I read and reread reviews on FPN now but back then I didn't know FPN was here...
Sailor Professional Gear GT B Nib
Sailor Sapporo GT F Nib
Pelikan M1000 (black) B Nib
Bexley Simplicity bronze GT B nib
Pilot VP blue/GT B nib

#11 pengoddess

pengoddess

Vintage

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 574 posts

Posted 03 April 2009 - 12:46

Sanford/Newell Rubbermaid (whatever you want to call them) KILLED Sensa!! Really, it was rather a sad series of events. The original Sensa company worked hard to develop the pen. The company was sold to the Sanford pen group and it was downhill from there .......

Sam
Pendemonium
email: sam@pendemonium.com
Follow us on Twitter
Like us on Facebook

#12 satrap

satrap

chgosatrap

• Member - Gold

• 1,354 posts

Posted 05 April 2009 - 13:43

I bought a Waterman Liaison from a great eBayer, pens_n_more, and they had zillions of Sensa pens. I would check them out if you are interested in getting more of them. They have good prices on all of their pens.
"... because I am NOT one of your FANZ!" the INTP said to the ESFJ.

#13 RLTodd

RLTodd

Thor's Legions

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,240 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 05 April 2009 - 20:02

Sounds more like the public killed Sensa.
YMMV

Sponsored Content

|