The Fountain Pen Network uses (functional) cookies. Read the FPN Privacy Policy for more info.  To remove this message, please click here to accept the use of cookies

Registration on the Fountain Pen Network

Dearest Visitor of the little Fountain Pen Nut house on the digital prairie,

Due to the enormous influx of spammers, it is no longer possible to handle valditions in the traditional way. For registrations we therefore kindly and respectfully request you to send an email with your request to our especially created email address. This email address is register at fountainpennetwork dot com. Please include your desired user name, and after validation we will send you a return email containing the validation key, normally wiithin a week.

Thank you very much in advance!
The FPN Admin Team

Photo

Omas Ogiva Autumn celluloid RB(a review of sorts)

• Please log in to reply
13 replies to this topic

#1 Celticshaman

Celticshaman

Photographer and lover of all things Celtic!

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,161 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 10 November 2007 - 18:53

As most here,i use fountain pens most of the time.But,as a previous thread states,i use rollerballs for those projects that i cannot use a FP.Like duplicate copies at work,etc.
Well i just wanted to share some photos of a new rollerball purchase last week.The Omas Ogiva Autumno Celluloid RB.
I really like the size and weight of this pen.And the colour of the celluloid?With Omas that goes without saying.They are the kings of beautiful celluloid in my
humble opinion.

The pen is the standard Ogiva size and being a rollerball,not much needs to be mentioned about writing capability.

The Ogiva bears the gold Greek key on the cap and not the pen body itself.This is wise as it really lends to an overall aesthetically pleasing appearance.

This pen is the same length as the older Paragon and is a wee bit thinner.Not by much though.A very nice pen to hold.Balances well.

I found this gem on ebay for under $150.Most retails on Omas celluloid in the roller ball department usually go for $300 and up.Glad i found it.
The colours certainly do remind one of autumn as the greens,browns and golds remind one of the changing leaves.

if you see one for a good price,snatch it up.I have a feeling that older Omas pens are going to be a rare thing in a few years.Especially items like this.I don't see many for sale.Being a big fan of Omas and low wage earner makes it tough to acquire these beauties very often.So i have to save and save and be at the right place at the right time.I have a feeling most of us are like that.

Jim

Sponsored Content

#2 CharlieB

CharlieB

French Roast Coffee

• Member - Gold

• 2,167 posts

Posted 10 November 2007 - 19:31

Great review of a great pen. I had been planning to buy the fountain pen version for a couple of years, but I procrastinated too long, and Omas discontinued them. I stumbled across one with a broad nib at the Philadelphia pen show last year. I quickly purchased it, even though I prefer medium nibs. I love looking at the autumn colors on the pen's body and cap, and think they are perfectly matched by the gold trim. I'll probably send it to Richard Binder or John Mottishaw to grind the nib into something more to my style.
CharlieB

"The moment he opened the refrigerator, he saw it. Caponata! Fragrant, colorful, abundant, it filled an entire soup dish, enough for at least four people.... The notes of the triumphal march of Aida came spontaneously, naturally, to his lips." -- Andrea Camilleri, Excursion to Tindari, p. 212

#3 Celticshaman

Celticshaman

• Member - Gold

• 2,161 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 10 November 2007 - 19:44

QUOTE(CharlieB @ Nov 10 2007, 11:31 AM) View Post
Great review of a great pen. I had been planning to buy the fountain pen version for a couple of years, but I procrastinated too long, and Omas discontinued them. I stumbled across one with a broad nib at the Philadelphia pen show last year. I quickly purchased it, even though I prefer medium nibs. I love looking at the autumn colors on the pen's body and cap, and think they are perfectly matched by the gold trim. I'll probably send it to Richard Binder or John Mottishaw to grind the nib into something more to my style.

I would like to own the fountain pen version as well but rarely see them and when i do they are not cheap.Then again,what Omas pen is roflmho.gif
So when this RB came up at that price,i jumped.
And i concur that the gold trim matches the colour scheme so well.I'm amazed that this model didn't get the attention it deserves.Maybe due to the Ogiva style,which doesn't have the popularity of the faceted Paragon.If this were a Paragon or milord,it would be very expensive.Celluloid does that thumbup.gif

Jim

#4 errantmarginalia

errantmarginalia

Généalogue

• Member - Gold

• 2,464 posts

Posted 10 November 2007 - 20:26

I once bought the FP version of this pen, in HT trim, at TJ Maxx for less than $150. My first and only Sumgai. I sold it a long time ago, though, as the shape of the pen just doesn't suit my hand. Beautiful celluloid, though. Best,
David

#5 Celticshaman

Celticshaman

• Member - Gold

• 2,161 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 10 November 2007 - 20:34

This TJ Maxx scenario really has me intrigued.Ever since that was announced,i have tried every store in my area(8 stores)and the best i could come up with in a year was a few Cross ballpoints.Maybe it is completely location dependent.I will keep trying.If i can find something like that at TJ Maxx,i will buy them all.

Jim

#6 errantmarginalia

errantmarginalia

Généalogue

• Member - Gold

• 2,464 posts

Posted 10 November 2007 - 20:40

QUOTE(handlebar @ Nov 10 2007, 08:34 PM) View Post
This TJ Maxx scenario really has me intrigued.Ever since that was announced,i have tried every store in my area(8 stores)and the best i could come up with in a year was a few Cross ballpoints.Maybe it is completely location dependent.I will keep trying.If i can find something like that at TJ Maxx,i will buy them all.

Jim

There seems to be neither rhyme nor reason to the TJ Maxx thing. This one was in Memphis, and it had two OMAS pens (both of which I bought and later sold): the Ogiva Autunno and a white 360 Mezzo, also on sale for a song. Since that day, I stop whenever I see a TJ Maxx, but have never seen another fountain pen. Best,
David

PS Congratulations on the Arco Milord, it's a beauty.

#7 Celticshaman

Celticshaman

• Member - Gold

• 2,161 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 10 November 2007 - 20:44

Thanks David.Yes,i keep checking as well.Maybe i will find something.Omas is my favourite brand so the odds are not astronomical.
And as for the Arco: I LOVE IT!!!!!!

Jim

#8 slimnib

slimnib

Extremely Rare

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 383 posts

Posted 11 November 2007 - 22:38

I love the way Omas's look and write, however, two of the three I have recently purchased have leaked.

Strange, Does anyone have that problem with Omas pens.

Harv.

#9 slimnib

slimnib

Extremely Rare

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 383 posts

Posted 11 November 2007 - 22:39

I love the way Omas's look and write, however, two of the three I have recently purchased have leaked.

Strange, Does anyone have that problem with Omas pens.

Harv.

#10 Celticshaman

Celticshaman

• Member - Gold

• 2,161 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 11 November 2007 - 22:45

I had one with a leaky issue.I cleaned it out,unscrewed the nib,dabbed some low grade glue from a glue stick on the feed threads,and have never had a problem since. But i wouldn't suggest glue.Use silicone from some of the pen parts dealers.My new Arco seems ok so far but one never knows with Omas.Yes,they have had a few issues with that.
Not sure why it still occurs after this many years.But their beauty and writing quality help me to overlook a lightly weepy nib.Never a real problem.

Jim

#11 JimCouch

JimCouch

Vintage

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 503 posts

Posted 12 November 2007 - 01:41

Very nice Jim! I have the same pen in the Fountain Pen version, it's my absolute favorite.

Jim Couch
Jim Couch Portland, OR

#12 omasfan

omasfan

Antique

• Member - Gold

• 1,503 posts

Posted 14 November 2007 - 03:46

The fountain pen version is still on my wish list. Beautiful material and a classical shape. I love the Ogiva very much. A great pen just right in size.

#13 Cloud

Cloud

We like pens!

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,043 posts

Posted 14 November 2007 - 16:44

The celluloid seems to be the same as Danitrio Cum laude
Commit to be fit
ClaudeP.com

#14 trailrnr

trailrnr

Near Mint

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPip
  • 34 posts

Posted 16 November 2007 - 07:20

Spectacular color combination, with all those autumnal greens and golds and then the gold trim to top it all off!

Does it take standard (Schimdt) RB cartridges, or do they have to be Omas?

Sponsored Content

|