Yet another Omas Arco brown-Milord

handlebar

Well after drooling and saving for a while,i finally have acquired what i consider my grail pen: The Omas Arco Milord.

I won't write up a full review as there are already four fine accounts given by FPN members. These reviews inspired me to

persevere in my quest for this pen.

At first i wanted the older model, the pre-2005 Paragon.But after comparing size, price and availability, i decided that the newer Milord would be

good. It is larger than the old style Paragon, is made of celluloid all the way down the barrel, and is a smashingly beautiful pen. F nib.

So i will just post some pics now and at the end of said show,will let out a secret:

http://i62.photobucket.com/albums/h93/n7myw/Pens/1-small.jpg

http://i62.photobucket.com/albums/h93/n7myw/Pens/3-small.jpg

http://i62.photobucket.com/albums/h93/n7myw/Pens/4-small.jpg

http://i62.photobucket.com/albums/h93/n7myw/Pens/capsmall.jpg

http://i62.photobucket.com/albums/h93/n7myw/Pens/nib-small2.jpg

http://i62.photobucket.com/albums/h93/n7myw/Pens/nib2-small.jpg

http://i62.photobucket.com/albums/h93/n7myw/Pens/nib-small1.jpg

http://i62.photobucket.com/albums/h93/n7myw/Pens/5-small.jpg

Ok.Thats enough of that.Most already knew what it looked like.But i had to share my joy at this new acquisition.I know many say "That's it!I will stop collecting".

I said that at first.For the next year,i most certainly have to unless some Omas pen for $5 shows up at a yard sale. :roflmho:

But i have blown my pen budget for a long time.

Now here is the best part:What i paid.

I looked all over for the best deal.I could usually get the price new(which this was,still shrink wrapped) from the retail of $775,down to around $625 or so.

So i gambled on an ebay auction and came up a winner only having to shell out $329.

Yes,$329. Shipped from Canada.

Not bad,eh? (pardon the accent) :thumbup:

So i'm happy all around.I have only inked it to test and will give it a full letter writing experience this weekend.So for those whom i owe letters:You know which pen i will be using.

Thanks so much for letting me share my delightful day.

Jim (A satisfied Omas customer)

Edited by MYU

• Replies 38
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• handlebar

• mehitabel

• geonut

• John Cullen

That's a seriously beautiful pen and I'm glad you got a chance to find and buy your "grail" pen. Congrats and use it in the best of health Jim.

Because of you and a couple others, I'm on MY quest and have started proceedings to aquire a pen I've admired and coveted for quite a while. I hope I'm as pleased with it as you are with this when I get it in hand.

JELL-O, IT'S WHATS FOR DINNER!

Congratulations, Jim! That is one beautiful pen and at a great price. The Arco is truly one of the most beautiful pens ever made.

Edited by jonro

IT is a beauty. How does this nib compare with the old paragon nibs? J

Hi John,

I find the nib a wee bit stiffer(i like that BTW)and just as smooth if not smoother.A really nice writing pen.I prefer fine point nibs and thats what this is.

I toyed with the idea of having it made into an italic but have changed my mind.Still,my Stipula Etruria is my best writer and this is second now.

Yes,i really was surprised at the price.Amazing that it didn't sell for much more.

No matter. IT'S MINE NOW!!!!!! :thumbup: :thumbup: :thumbup:

Jim

Edited by handlebar

Great pen, great price, great writer... What else does one need (FP-wise)? ;)

"There is hardly anything in the world that some man cannot make a little worse and sell a little cheaper and the people who consider price only are this man's lawful prey."

- John Ruskin (1819-1900)

Pelikan M800 Green (18C-750 OM), Pelikan 4001 Königsblau

Pelikan M200 "Citroenpers" (14C-585 M), Diamine Monaco Red

Pelikan M200 "Citroenpers" (14C-585 F), Diamine Prussian Blue

Yes,$329. Shipped from Canada.

Not bad,eh? (pardon the accent) :thumbup:

Not bad at all... ;)

That is one gorgeous fountain pen, Jim (I have a black old-style Milord myself) and I am so glad you finally acquired it. I know you had to sell some very nice pens to acquire this one, but I'm glad you got what you wanted...and for a really good price, too!

Enjoy!! :D

THAT'S MY GRAIL PEN!!!!! :crybaby: :bawl: But I still refuse to pay +$500 for them. Boy, Jim! That was an excellent buy! Good for you! ;)

sonia alvarez

fpn_1379481230__chinkinreduced.jpg

I'm still pinching myself.Since i took it out of the box,i have used it for everything i can.Toook care of some letters,entered the journals and just stared lovingly at it's beauty.

Ahhh. Life is good.

Maja,if prices like that keep appearing from "the other Vancouver",i will never stop buying!!!

Jim

Jim,

The new Arco Brown Milord is indeed a beautiful pen. If you look closely at your photos, you can see how the Arco material was made -- by building up the celluloid in a series of layers to form a thick sheet that could then be cut into blocks to put on the turning machine. I have had occasion to tour composite factories in the aerospace industry, and I've always been fascinated by the process. I'm guessing that your material was "cooked" in an autoclave (an oven) after the layers were built up.

CharlieB

"The moment he opened the refrigerator, he saw it. Caponata! Fragrant, colorful, abundant, it filled an entire soup dish, enough for at least four people.... The notes of the triumphal march of Aida came spontaneously, naturally, to his lips." -- Andrea Camilleri, Excursion to Tindari, p. 212

Well done Jim, a beautiful piece indeed.

Mike

Only when the last tree has died and the last river been poisoned and the last fish been caught will we realise we cannot eat money.

- Cree Indian Proverb