Complaint with an order from Stylos Fine Pens

alexis

Hello fellow Mont Blanc lovers,

I ordered a Mont Blanc pen from Stylos Fine Pens (http://stylofinepens.com/) over the phone, and a mistake was made. The pen was a gift,

and I had ordered it gift wrapped and to be sent to my husdands office. Unfortunately the pen was sent to my home

address, and was NOT sent insured or with a signature confirmation. The mailman left the package at the door, since it

was only required to be 'delivery confirmed'.

Needless to say, the pen has disappeared. I live in an apartment complex in NYC, which is why I wanted the item shipped to an office,

to ensure someone would be there to pick it up!

To make a long story short I have gotten NOWHERE with this company. At first they denied the delivery address was entered, then

they assured me the post office should have a record of who picked it up, then they advised me to make a claim with the post office. Well, even though I paid for 2-3 day priority mail this somehow did not go through. The post office can not issue a claim since a signature was not required!

I have called every day for a week, and even got through to the owner of the store in California. He informed me he is not willing to do anything, since the item was delivered. He will not take responsibility for shipping it to the wrong address (he even said their policy is to ship it to the billing address, even if instructed otherwise, in case of fraud!!!), nor will he take responsibility for not ensuring signature required or insurance!

I really need the COmmunity's help on this one. I wanted to do something special for my husands birthday and its been completely ruined now. Maybe if the owner feels the pressure from the Community he will be inclined to send me a replacement or refund my money. Because right now I paid for a pen that I never recieved!

His direct number is 415 399 1204. He know my case because Ive been driving them crazy over there!!!

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• mehitabel

• sansenri

• Stylo

• alexis

My advice is that, if you paid with credit card, IMMEDIATELY BEGIN A DISPUTE, and provide your CC company with all of the supporting documentation. You can always drop the dispute if the pen turns up, and at the very least, if you are unable to resolve the issue with the seller, you may at least be able to recover your funds via the dispute.

I had a similar problem with ordering a computer once. Had I not started the paperwork immediately with my CC company, I would have been SOL.

Good luck!

Edited by savarez

Currently Inked: Visconti Pericle EF : Aurora Black; Pilot VP-F (Gunmetal): X-Feather; Pilot VP-F (LE Orange): Kiowa Pecan; Lamy Safari EF: Legal Lapis

Wishlist (WTB/T) - Pelikan "San Francisco"

Hello fellow Mont Blanc lovers,

I ordered a Mont Blanc pen from Stylos Fine Pens (http://stylofinepens.com/) over the phone, and a mistake was made. The pen was a gift,

and I had ordered it gift wrapped and to be sent to my husdands office. Unfortunately the pen was sent to my home

address, and was NOT sent insured or with a signature confirmation. The mailman left the package at the door, since it

was only required to be 'delivery confirmed'.

Needless to say, the pen has disappeared. I live in an apartment complex in NYC, which is why I wanted the item shipped to an office,

to ensure someone would be there to pick it up!

To make a long story short I have gotten NOWHERE with this company. At first they denied the delivery address was entered, then

they assured me the post office should have a record of who picked it up, then they advised me to make a claim with the post office. Well, even though I paid for 2-3 day priority mail this somehow did not go through. The post office can not issue a claim since a signature was not required!

I have called every day for a week, and even got through to the owner of the store in California. He informed me he is not willing to do anything, since the item was delivered. He will not take responsibility for shipping it to the wrong address (he even said their policy is to ship it to the billing address, even if instructed otherwise, in case of fraud!!!), nor will he take responsibility for not ensuring signature required or insurance!

I really need the COmmunity's help on this one. I wanted to do something special for my husands birthday and its been completely ruined now. Maybe if the owner feels the pressure from the Community he will be inclined to send me a replacement or refund my money. Because right now I paid for a pen that I never recieved!

His direct number is 415 399 1204. He know my case because Ive been driving them crazy over there!!!

I am sorry, but IMO it is wrong for you (a new member with only 1 post) to ask us to put pressure on a company because you did not get the service you think you should have.

I can understand the company sending to only the billing address in case of fraud. It is becoming more and more common for companies to only ship to the credit card billing address because of card theft.

Did you request that the package be sent insured with delivery confirmation??? If not then the company would most likely ship the least expensive way that ensures confirmation the package was delivered. Even if you paid for priority shipping, there is no signature confirmation on that either.

I sell quite a few pens here on FPN and unless the seller specifically requests (and pays for insurance), I ship USPS First Class with Delivery Confirmation.

NOW, if I had this problem, as a seller I would do everything in my power to make good to the buyer.... but not all sellers are like that...

As savarez has stated, you can start action with your credit card company... but I believe that when they go to the seller and he can provide proof of delivery, you may not get the funds back.

I'm sorry about your pen. It's really unfortunate that this happened.

I agree with Oldgriz... I don't feel it's fair for you to ask "the community" to jump into this situation, especially since you weren't a part of this community until 12:00 PM today. We're not some mindless rabble that you can just elicit help from. Heck, I don't think I'd do something like this, even if I had been a member for a few years! This is your issue, and you need to solve it on your own. I can understand if you want to ask for advice from people, but asking us to fight for your cause is a little out there.

I hope your situation gets resolved, but please refrain from doing something this... tacky.

Edited by blak000

An empty can usually makes the loudest noise.

Eek!

You know... I just focussed on the delivery problems and completely missed that the original poster was asking people to call the vendor on her behalf. Griz and Blak000 got it right.

rabble rabble rabble rabble rabble rabble.

Currently Inked: Visconti Pericle EF : Aurora Black; Pilot VP-F (Gunmetal): X-Feather; Pilot VP-F (LE Orange): Kiowa Pecan; Lamy Safari EF: Legal Lapis

Hi again!

Well, I havent been an 'active' member of the community, its true. But Ive been an occasional reader of posts...and

besides asking me to help, I think its equally valuable to 'vote with your wallet'!

Honestly, Im sorry I offended anyone, but I thought I would be doing a favor to anyone who was thinking about ordering

from Stylos Fine Pens. When we are talking about an expesive item, and the service is especially terrible,

I think that its important to let other people know.

Ive been amazed at the power that blogger pressure than exerpt, I think its a great side effect of the internet revolution. It brings

people together...

Im sorry if I offended anyone, but I really needed to inform other people about what had happened, and to warn someone else who might be thinking about buying from this company!

And I dont think there is any excuse to ship an item to the wrong address, to not email any confirmation notice, to not email a receipt, to not send the item signature confirmation as instructed and paid for.....*sigh*

Alexis, I'm sure no one is offended by your post. They may hold differently than you, but that's a question of mere opinion and not one of offending. ;)

"There is hardly anything in the world that some man cannot make a little worse and sell a little cheaper and the people who consider price only are this man's lawful prey."

- John Ruskin (1819-1900)

Pelikan M800 Green (18C-750 OM), Pelikan 4001 Königsblau

Pelikan M200 "Citroenpers" (14C-585 M), Diamine Monaco Red

Pelikan M200 "Citroenpers" (14C-585 F), Diamine Prussian Blue

Hi again!

Well, I havent been an 'active' member of the community, its true. But Ive been an occasional reader of posts...and

besides asking me to help, I think its equally valuable to 'vote with your wallet'!

Honestly, Im sorry I offended anyone, but I thought I would be doing a favor to anyone who was thinking about ordering

from Stylos Fine Pens. When we are talking about an expesive item, and the service is especially terrible,

I think that its important to let other people know.

Ive been amazed at the power that blogger pressure than exerpt, I think its a great side effect of the internet revolution. It brings

people together...

Im sorry if I offended anyone, but I really needed to inform other people about what had happened, and to warn someone else who might be thinking about buying from this company!

And I dont think there is any excuse to ship an item to the wrong address, to not email any confirmation notice, to not email a receipt, to not send the item signature confirmation as instructed and paid for.....*sigh*

I paid for 2-3 day priority mail

Allow me to point out a few things...

According to your original post, you did not request the item sent signature confirmation... you request the the item be shipped priority mail. Priority mail DOES NOT require a signature... in fact it does not even give delivery confirmation unless that is asked for and paid for in addition to the normal priority mail price.... the seller obviously did request delivery confirmation since he can show it was delivered.

The seller did not ship to the wrong address... he stated to you that he will not ship to an address other than the billing address due to problems with credit card fraud. This is becoming more and more common... unless I know the person buying from me, I will not ship to an address other than the one on the credit card either.... I am protecting myself and the credit card owner by doing this...

As for the email notification of shipment. That is not something that every company does... nor do they all email a receipt.. in the case of a credit card purchase the reciept was most likely in the package with the pen as it should be.

As for warning us of doing business with this company and voting with your wallet .... I think that is fine and dandy.. but that is not what you wanted. You wanted us to get on the phones and blast the company for service you do not think you received... that is not the same as warning us the company was not reputable... BIG DIFFERENCE... Personally I have never done business with this company and do not know the company, but I would be a bit more wary about doing business with them after what you have said...

I feel for the fact that you did not get the pen you wanted for your husband. But in this case it sounds like the company followed proper procedure (even though it did not send it to the office.)... they have proof that package was delivered.

Can I be the one to ask how we know that you do not have the pen and that you are not trying to perpetrate a fraud?

And bring us all into it?

I will say this though, I tend to believe you. If part of what you agreed to is to have delivery at the office, then you did not get what you bargained for. Not getting what you bargained for = breach of contract. I agree with Griz, there are the policies. However, if the understanding was that delivery was to be at the office, and delivery was to a high risk address instead, then the seller messed up!

I've sold and shipped lots of stuff, as many here have. When people pay with paypal, there is an address included. Often, people will say, "Please send this to address XYZ..." and the address is different from the paypal. It is the seller's responsibility to see this, but it is also the buyer's responsibility to make damn sure that the seller saw this and understands. I'm talking emails with confirmation back.

It is very unfortunate what happened to you. I think it is time to start knocking on your neighbors' doors.

Fool: One who subverts convention or orthodoxy or varies from social conformity in order to reveal spiritual or moral truth.

Alexis, I'm sure no one is offended by your post. They may hold differently than you, but that's a question of mere opinion and not one of offending. ;)

Definitely not offended. :thumbup:

Initial request aside, I do feel sorry about your situation. Just knowing that it's a Montblanc, I can tell it must have cost a hefty sum. What REALLY sucks is that this was meant to be a gift for you husband. I'm guessing the thief is someone in your apartment? Bad neighbor!

An empty can usually makes the loudest noise.

I went to the website and had a look around. Why would this company offer gift wrapping and on its checkout page have the customary "ship to" and "bill to" forms, and then claim to have a policy to ship only to a "bill to" address? If a specific "ship to" address was requested and then ignored by the company, I would expect an e-mail up front explaining the refusal to honor the original order.

Alexis, didn't you get an e-mail confirmation when you placed your original order? If you have that, and the company shipped to different address, I think you have a legitimate claim. I'd ask the company for the tracking number that supposedly proves the item was delivered. After all this company's website promises complete customer satisfaction. Barring that, I'd file a complaint with Montblanc since this company is an official retailer of their products.

Alexis,

I'm sorry that you had a delivery problem. As stated earlier, I would suggest filing a claim with your credit card company.

However, at work (not in the pen biz) we receive 70-80 pkgs/week. We always use UPS and rarely have a problem - and a signature is always required. When a package doesn't arrive as expected, the answer from our vendor has always been that once it's in the carrier's hands it's no longer their problem.

You'll need to prove that the package wasn't delivered. Short of that, unfortunately, you may be out of luck here.

I hate to say it, but if what you've said is accurate, then you may need to buy a replacement from either the same place or another vendor.

Steve

Does not every fountain pen from MB come with a serial number? I think I saw on my Omas fountain pen (and also on my Pelikan pens) serial numbers. Maybe if the person who took the pen send it for repair and get caught if the serial number is registered as missing?? If so at least ask for the serial number and send this number at MB.

Edited by xerxes1358

Sorry for the loss - you probably should also begin a theft report to local law enforcement if not already done. I don't know, but can something like this be covered by renter's or home insurance? Probably does not meet your deductible though.

Finally, does your apt. complex have video surveillance. If not already recorded over, you might be able to get the "super" to review the tape - you might catch a thief.

From FTC.gov: "Billed for Merchandise You Never Received? Here's What To Do."

http://www.ftc.gov/bcp/conline/pubs/credit/billed.shtm

Your credit card company will help you. Just call them.

Revisionist History

I was not offended by Alexis' first post. It might have been a bit audacious but I understand audaciousness sometimes works. What has me offended is the attempt bu Alexis to revise history. Compare post number 7 with post number one in this thread. The title in the first post included the phrase, "Guys, I really need your help with this." After receiving blowback (rightfully) from a number of individuals, suddenly the motivation became, "Im sorry if I offended anyone, but I really needed to inform other people about what had happened, and to warn someone else who might be thinking about buying from this company!" To be charitable, that is a load of malarkey. What help would Alexis be asking to receive in post #1 if all she wanted to do was inform us of an unreliable seller as she says was her wish in post #7? That attempt at justification is what I find most annoying. My $.02. Sam

Sam

That wine needs to be drunk, and so do I

Never ship anything that expensive without requiring a signature as proof of delivery. I use a UPS store for receiving packages while I am away, just to be safe. As a person who specializes in multi-residential security, I can say that postal delivery to multi residential buildings is something that is regularly targeted by identity and commodity thieves, which is one of the reasons I use a local UPS or FedEx stores to receive mail and parcels. I look for stores who can provide proof of insurance coverage, access control and CCTV systems to track store activity and a monitored burglar alarm.

I hope you followed up your instructions with some form of written instructions. If so, I think the store should act in good faith by offering 50% as they only made 50% of the mistake by shipping to the wrong address. Failing that get your credit card company's assistance.

These things can happen, and I'm sorry to hear that it happened to you, but using the board to pressure a retailer isn't really going to help, especially if only a very limited number of us actually contribute revenue to the operation.

"Giving power and money to politicians is like giving whiskey and car keys to teenage boys."

P.J. O'Rourke

Hi, Alexis. Like everyone else here who loves pens and pen surprises, I can feel for your loss. At the same time, I have purchased from Stylo Fine Pens in SF and have found them to follow through on their responsibilities. I have never had a shipped pen from them go missing, but they have always been prompt and a very reliable seller to me. (No affiliation - just a satisfied customer.) I hope you can find a way to make things right so you can still give your husband such a reknowned pen.

Kudzu

"I am a galley slave to pen and ink." ~Honore de Balzac

Happy Pan Pacific Pen Club Member!

I see both sides of this. Lamy shipped back my 2000 a couple of months ago and I thought my 2000 had been stolen off of the porch. Turned out my youngest son had dumped it in the living room, in the piece of furniture we like to call the "big a** chair." Days later and after starting FedEx claims process...the truth came out. But still, Lamy USA shipped with no sig required, which struck me as odd. I am a big fan of requiring signatures for small, expensive packages.

And per her original post, they did NOT ship to her requested address and did not inform her that they were going to ship to the credit card address. So that's bad. If they had to ship to the credit card address, should have informed her of such.

<i>"Most people go through life using up half their energy trying to protect a dignity they never had."</i><br>-Marlowe, in <i>The Long Goodbye</i>