back from Ohio Pen Show

supenguin

I just got back from the Ohio Pen Show - my first pen show. What an experience! First, on the way there a neon green Lamborghini passed us on 270. First time I've ever seen one of those on the road!

Anyway, we get to the pen show and there was a big hallway, a big room, and a small room full of tables with pens, ink, and related items all set up. We looked at a couple tables in the hallway looking for a coatrack, didn't see one, so we headed in to the small room first. At the first table was a guy - Alex Sheaffer I think was his name. He talked to my wife and I for what had to be 10 minutes showing off various pens to me and then flexible nib pens to my wife once he found out she was a graphic designer. He tried to get me to make an offer on a pen, but we decided ahead of time our budget was the cash in pocket (which wasn't much) and I wanted to at least glance at all the tables there before buying anything.

Everyone there was very nice, ranging from a "Hi, how are you?" to a discussion of the pens they were selling, what kind of pen I was looking for and a "here, try my pens and buy the ones you like." One guy there said he spent around $10,000 at his first pen show!!!

I went looking to have a good time and buy two things: a thinner pen that would fit in the pen loop in my planner and a nice shade of green ink. I ended up getting both from Pear Tree Pens for $61. Lamy Accent EF nib with aluminum grip for $50 (I'm told retail is $80) and a bottle of Diamine Woodland Green ink.

My wife came along looking for a cute purple pen and some nice pink ink. There was a surprising lack of purple pens except some that were HUGE and totally not her. She saw a cute little pink one that she really like but decided not to buy it. It was $50, no clue what brand it was, and it was cartridge only (too small for converters). She ended up getting a green Pelikano from Pear Tree ($10) and a bottle of Diamine Scarlet (looked more like a real nice pink) for $5 from Pendomonium.

Things I plan (or at least hope to do) next time:

Come earlier. - we came around 1 pm Sunday afternoon. It seemed like the longer we took to look, the more people were packing up. Great if you're looking for a deal from someone already there, horrible if you have no clue what is available or how much it's worth

Bring more money - I saw a couple pens I really would have liked to buy, but they were either too expensive or would have blown my whole budget for the month. I'd like to bring at least $100 next time, but I'm sure I'll feel the same way after that.

Arrange a meetup - it would be really cool if we could do a meetup among people from this site and DIYPlanner next time. I didn't even wear a nametag like I had planned.

-Hello, my name is Kenny and I'm a fountain pen addict with a taste for Lamy and Esterbrook.

• Replies 16
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• aunt rebecca

• playpen

• supenguin

• RayMan

Top Posters In This Topic

Thanks for the great review! I have been talking about this very issue since I attended my first show and wondered how I could identify myself as being part of the FPN. We should all agree to wear some identifying mark such as a small ribbon or some other item so we can easily identify each other at shows.

how about a purple tattoo of a purple fountain pen on our foreheads? :thumbup:

Do not wait to strike till the iron is hot; but make it hot by striking- william butler yeats
Unless you are educated in metaphor, you are not safe to be let loose in the world. robert frost

Let's decide on this in private. If we open it to discussion here, we will end up with ten thousand different colors and hundreds of possible body parts.... :ltcapd:

what a great idea--the second half of your post.

red for thighsblue for knees,green for belly, tan for breasts and black for hands

a panoply of rainbow pen tattoos!

Do not wait to strike till the iron is hot; but make it hot by striking- william butler yeats
Unless you are educated in metaphor, you are not safe to be let loose in the world. robert frost

i have been overcome by a sense of modesty and decorum therefore instead of a tattoo of a pen of varying colors we could use an ita;ic nib tattoo.

on our assets, of course!!! :roflmho: Edited by aunt rebecca

assets can always be smacked er i mean tapped. Edited by aunt rebecca

i will conduct a sit down strike on my assets and sing "solidarity forever" atop of my assets. :ltcapd: :ltcapd: :ltcapd: :ltcapd: :ltcapd: :ltcapd: :thumbup: :roflmho:

My wife and I also went to the show, and had a wonderful time. I purchased a beautiful vintage Eversharp Deskset, a gorgeous vintage Waterman desk pen (now I need to find a holder), a black Esterbrook Model J, and a yellow Parker 51 rollerball conversion. I wanted to purchase a wooden pen display case, but I took too much time to think about it (despite the great price) and it was gone when I returned to the seller. Lesson learned. Surprisingly, my wife (who is not a pen collector, but is an artist) purchased as much as I did. A well run show, and a great time! I'm definitely going next year.

Regards,

Ray

i will conduct a sit down strike on my assets and sing "solidarity forever" atop of my assets. :ltcapd: :ltcapd: :ltcapd: :ltcapd: :ltcapd: :ltcapd: :thumbup: :roflmho:

:roflmho: :roflmho:

You're all too much! I have an idea: We could put the FPN logo on the bottom of our left foot. That way you'll know all the people running around with the left foot bare are FPN members.

Then all the people from DIYPlanner.com could put that site's logo on their right foot. Everyone could give them their spare change, because people with two bare feet (including myself) will be the people who spend more than any sane, normal person would on pens and office supplies!

Seriously, there has to be someone we can do. If nothing else maybe just name tags with a fountain pen nib in the background with your name & handle printed on top of it.

-Kenny

-Hello, my name is Kenny and I'm a fountain pen addict with a taste for Lamy and Esterbrook.

...on the way there a neon green Lamborghini passed us on 270. First time I've ever seen one of those on the road!

The exit for the pen show takes you to the largest Lambo dealership in the U.S., as well as a Ferarri dealership. Always look at the driver; Eric Clapton is just one famous car nut that lives some of the year in the neighborhood.

Yep, Thursday through Saturday were great at the show and I suspect today was also.

I overspent (as usual) because I found some good buys. Over the three days I bought Omas, Montblanc, Parker, Pelikan, Visconti, and Lamy pens. After closer inspection of the take, I declare about a 90% winning rate this year.

One of the most interesting was the celluloid Bexley "Columbus Pen Show 2007" Limited Edition. I spotted one at a vendor's table and at first mistook it for just another Simplicity in a very cool color. I was told that it had the gold nib and was made of celluloid, and most of the 25 had been sold. It was more than I wanted to pay, so I moved on. When I reached the table of Howard Levy himself, I asked about the show pen. He pulled the prototype out of a case and held it out. I reached to take it but he wouldn't let go! The pen was not for sale and he directed me the aforementioned vendor. He corrected me in that it is not based on the Simplicity. The general shape is the same, but there are different design cues. Also the section is a bit thicker and less tapered. The clip is set higher so it has a longer pocket depth.

I saw another one later at a much better price and snapped it up. It is a beautiful pen and the warm sheen of the celluloid (versus the cool shine of resin) and the distinctive smell causes happiness. I forgot to ask Howard if this new design has a name, just in case it shows up in a regular production resin model.

Bill

Had grand time at the show.

Sort of found some 125 old pens, probably 20 for my collection. Some evil pictures will be posted next couple weeks.

Highlights:

Waterman Ink View Fetus Pen (not yet full term).

Multiple "perfect" jade celluloid

Nearmint Nassau Green 51.

Vacs, vacs, vacs.

Ringtop Parker Vacuum-Filler (rare) in superb condition,

etc

regards

david