The Fountain Pen Network uses (functional) cookies. Read the FPN Privacy Policy for more info.  To remove this message, please click here to accept the use of cookies

Registration on the Fountain Pen Network

Dearest Visitor of the little Fountain Pen Nut house on the digital prairie,

Due to the enormous influx of spammers, it is no longer possible to handle valditions in the traditional way. For registrations we therefore kindly and respectfully request you to send an email with your request to our especially created email address. This email address is register at fountainpennetwork dot com. Please include your desired user name, and after validation we will send you a return email containing the validation key, normally wiithin a week.

Thank you very much in advance!
The FPN Admin Team

Photo

Visconti Ragtime

• Please log in to reply
17 replies to this topic

#1 Cloud

Cloud

We like pens!

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,043 posts

Posted 31 October 2007 - 18:29

Hello,

I just bought a nice Visconti Ragtime. Here are some pictures. I would like to know writing experience from people who has one. Also, what size is it relatively to other pen.

Best

Edited by Cloud, 31 October 2007 - 19:11.

Commit to be fit
ClaudeP.com

Sponsored Content

#2 Maja

Maja

Fan of colourful pens

• FPN Hon. Admin

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,425 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 01 November 2007 - 18:39

Nice purchase! I like the vintage-style clip (reminscent of those slip-on clips for old eyedropper fillers)...
Unfortunately, I don't own the same pen (nor do I own any Visconti pens)...
Vancouver (B.C) Pen Club (our website)

#3 Fountainbass

Fountainbass

Awaiting the Perfect Title

• Member - Gold

• 876 posts

Posted 01 November 2007 - 21:50

That is beautiful! I love the clip, too. And I love black/silver.

#4 Ghost Plane

Ghost Plane

Indescribable

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 28,424 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 01 November 2007 - 22:52

What sort of filler does that one have?

#5 gary

gary

Kalamazoo direct to you

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,221 posts

Posted 22 January 2008 - 12:27

Hi,
I just came across your original post. I bought a similar model Ragtime. Web research indicates that Visconti released several similar models, varying (near as my eyes can tell from webpages) in the designs on the barrels and caps, clips and gold/steel nibs.

Mine is a steel nibbed medium, and writes amazingly well. Maybe I just got an unusually good price, but I'm surprised at how well it performs. It writes a consistent medium line, no fuss, no problems, with everything from Waterman to Noodlers ink. The piston filler works well, even though the piston itself, as seen through the ink window is simply plastic, with plastic "fins" to make the seal.

The cap and barrel looked carved. This is one of the areas of difference among the models, with some smooth, some decorated on the barrel only, and some fully decorated.

It's only served to whet my appetite for getting the original Ragtime.

gary

Attached Files

#6 dare_nova

dare_nova

Extremely Rare

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 380 posts

Posted 22 January 2008 - 20:43

Greg, your Visconti is gorgeous!

#7 Aslan

Aslan

"We're all mad here."

• Member - Gold

• 1,204 posts
  • Location:southeast of Rome, southwest of Athens, north of Cairo, and "ITP"

Posted 22 January 2008 - 21:08

Cloud,

I missed this post the first time around. Where did you get this stunner of a pen?

Thx,

John
John

#8 Doug C

Doug C

Antique

• Member - Gold

• 2,492 posts

Posted 22 January 2008 - 21:32

The original Ragtime was made from Celluloid, one of their first production models, and very expensive. They also reintroduced it as a Ragtime II, and this model is a later version. These are resin, and much less expensive, but still a nice pen, and the type of clip on this is very similar to the original.

I have one, but it is just a RB.

Looking at this again though, makes me wonder why they dont issue a new version of this pen.

A very classic design.

the Danitrio Fellowship

#9 georges zaslavsky

georges zaslavsky

vintageandmodernpenslover

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 12,033 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 26 January 2008 - 20:41

I am not into Viscontis but that one is a nice pen wink.gif
Pens are like watches , once you start a collection, you can hardly go back. And pens like all fine luxury items do improve with time

#10 girlieg33k

girlieg33k

• Member - Gold

• 1,837 posts

Posted 27 January 2008 - 12:08

QUOTE(Doug C @ Jan 22 2008, 04:32 PM)  
The original Ragtime was made from Celluloid, one of their first production models, and very expensive. They also reintroduced it as a Ragtime II, and this model is a later version. These are resin, and much less expensive, but still a nice pen, and the type of clip on this is very similar to the original.
Looking at this again though, makes me wonder why they dont issue a new version of this pen.

The original Visconti Ragtime (1991) is indeed celluloid, and the New Ragtime (1994) (often referred to as Ragtime I or II) are also celluloid. I have a blue celluloid in the original Ragtime and the blonde and green celluloid versions of the New Ragtime -- all with 18K nibs. This was a surprise to me because I thought Visconti released these only with 14K nibs.

In 1999 and 2000 Visconti released the Ragtime Black (w/ a steel nib) and Ragtime Medici, respectively -- both of which are made of lucite. Unlike the original Ragtime and New Ragtime -- both of which are true piston fillers -- I understand that the Black and Medici versions are c/c fillers. I don't have either one, so I'm going by the info posted on the Visconti web site.

All the Ragtimes however are now considered "Vintage Editions" by Visconti and are out of production. For that reason, they can be had for relatively good prices if you chance upon them. (I paid less than $200 for each of my Ragtimes.) Here's a link to Visconti's Vintage Editions.

Edited: Fixed links.

Edited by girlieg33k, 27 January 2008 - 12:20.

Talking about fountain pens is like dancing about architecture.

#11 gary

gary

Kalamazoo direct to you

• Member - Gold

• 2,221 posts

Posted 28 January 2008 - 04:11

This is why collecting is always a surprise: the Medici in my post above is a piston filler.
gary

PS If ever you decide your celluloid Medici needs a new home....

#12 handlebar

handlebar

Long distance runner!!!

• Member - Gold

• 2,159 posts

Posted 28 January 2008 - 04:38

Nice indeed!!!!

Jim

#13 tcheuchter

tcheuchter

Extremely Rare

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 240 posts

Posted 28 January 2008 - 12:16

Kate, would it be a bother for you to attach photos of your Ragtimes? Viewed the ones on Visconti but didn't see the blue one mentioned.

#14 dare_nova

dare_nova

Extremely Rare

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 380 posts

Posted 28 January 2008 - 17:38

Do you know where can I buy Ragtime medici?

#15 Susanna

Susanna

il meglio del Made in Italy

• Member - Gold

• 1,070 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 30 January 2008 - 07:44

QUOTE(Doug C @ Jan 22 2008, 01:32 PM)  
The original Ragtime was made from Celluloid, one of their first production models, and very expensive.

The latest issue of Penna magazine has an old celluloid Ragtime in the cover (wonderful celluloid, wonderful colors), for showing the Visconti's 20 years of activity. The old Ragtime, and the new Divina Black.

Susanna
----------
Giardino Italiano, il meglio del Made in Italy - www.giardino.it - www.pens.it

My Facebook page
My Blog:  blog.giardino.it

#16 goodguy

goodguy

Fountain pens and watches collector

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,534 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 30 January 2008 - 15:06

Great pen and beautiful pictures.
Now how about a review ?
Respect to all

#17 gary

gary

Kalamazoo direct to you

• Member - Gold

• 2,221 posts

Posted 11 June 2008 - 17:38

You might check a certain German auction site for several listed Ragtimes
gary

#18 Chi Town

Chi Town

Antique

• Member - Gold

• 1,791 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 01 July 2014 - 07:23

I just bought a Visconti Ragtime lll Piston filler, it's still in the mail on it's way to me. Anyone have an idea what they are worth?

Thank You in advance

Mike

Visconti Last Lira aka Luigi Einaudi #63 of 975, Stipula Yellow Da Vinci Carbon Fiber T, Stipula Model T, Vintage Fountain Pens, Delta Amerigo Vespucci LE, Pelikan Special Edition Sahara F/P, TWSBI Micarta, Danitrio Mikado, Genkai, Nakaya Decapod Cigar, Watley in Woodgrain, Marlen Yellow Liberty LE, Santa FE Style Custom "51" made by Ralph Prather, president New Mexico Pen Collector's Club.

Sponsored Content

|