Wality 52 FP Piston

Rasputin

Being a relatively new FP user (check my posting history) somehow I missed this great CHEAP pen. :headsmack: I received my burgundy Wality 52, fine nib today. I ordered it from Pete Bachran for $15. (Although I think there are other sources). Excellent service and a great pen! It writes with a nice, wet American fine nib. The piston filler works great and holds a very generous amount of ink. I loaded it with Noodlers Red Black (so the ink window matches the pen) and if it continues to write as well as it does now, this will become one of my regular writers.

Highly recommended :thumbup:

• Replies 10
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Rasputin

• blak000

• tamburlaine

• Fountainbass

Top Posters In This Topic

I recently picked up a Wality 52 in black with a fine nib (filled with Noodlers Nightshade). Smooth nib and a true fine. This humble pen puts a lot of those expensive fellas to shame. Got mine from Retrodesk. Great service.

"A man's maturity consists in having found again the seriousness one had as a child, at play."

Friedrich Nietzsche

kelsonbarber.wordpress.com

I've read mixed reactions concerning these pens. Some of them seem to have leaking or ink flow problems (mainly eyedropper models).

Those who have received perfectly good, working models, though, RAVE about them. I'm really tempted to check them out. Is it true that the feeds give off a strange smell? One person mentioned that the ebonite smells realllly funky.

An empty can usually makes the loudest noise.

I got one too, my dad is using it as his main pen now. :) Superb thing for the price, though I would probably stay away from the eyedropper.

Here's where you can buy them: http://www.retrodesk.com

I think the smell thing is a bit exaggerated; yes, the feed does stink a bit, but you have to put the pen up your nose before you smell anything. :P So no one will be sniffing the air when you enter the room with the pen in your pocket...

Edited by patrick1314

Publifhed According to the True Originall Copies

I got one too, my dad is using it as his main pen now. :) Superb thing for the price, though I would probably stay away from the eyedropper.

Here's where you can buy them: http://www.retrodesk.com

I think the smell thing is a bit exaggerated; yes, the feed does stink a bit, but you have to put the pen up your nose before you smell anything. :P So no one will be sniffing the air when you enter the room with the pen in your pocket...

I see... that's good to hear about the smell (or lack of). I'm definitely going to try picking up one of them Wality's. It'll be no problem to, either, with the prices they're being offered at! I have a friend who was at first completely turned off to the idea of fountain pens, but is slowly getting curious (I could smell it!). If I buy one of these, and like what I receive... this may be a good starter pen for her!

I always thought the 69 all-black piston looked cool.

Edited by blak000

An empty can usually makes the loudest noise.

I tried the piston-fillers and the eyedropper. The eyedropper was a leaking disaster, even though I had applied the silicone grease. The piston-fillers, however, have proved very dependable. The trim on the caps looks a bit cheap, but the pens write well. They are good daily-use pens. The smell IS a problem. I had a black and a red burgundy version. The red burgundy one gave off an odor that I can only compare, forgive me, to vomit. I applied some rose-water with a facial pad to the barrel and that helped dampen the smell, but every now and then...whoa!...a whiff of the old smell can hit me. Again, though, these are good pens to have at the office; you won't die if you lose them. They make good starter pens for students, too.

All this talk about "odor" had me go check my newly acquired 52. The cap has a very slight plastic smell (sometimes know as vomit) but the bottom has been resting next to one of my merschaum pipes (in its case) which has a burned tobacco smell...yep, you guessed it...now the piston portion of the pen smells like burned tobacco. I wonder if I put it next to some cinnamon or peppermint... :bunny01:

I have a Wality 52 I got 2-3 years ago.

Here is what I think of this pen.

For the price this pen is probably on of the pens you can get !!!

Its a piston filler that holds a lot of ink.The pen is pretty big so it sits nicly in the hand.

The nib is a very smooth nib and leaves a nice wet line.

The one draw back of the pen is that not only it is cheap but it feels cheap.I like my pens to feels like its made of high quality material.Since I have many other pens I dont really use it.Maybe my son in the future if he will show interest in pens will get to use it.

Oh I never smelled any bad odor coming from the pen but when I put the pen next to my nose it does have a slight bad odor.I wouldnt worry about the smell becaue unless you walk sniffing the pen you really cant feel the smell.

Respect to all

I have one I purchased from ISellPens.com for $6.00, and I love it. :) It's my standard comparison pen. If a pen isn't at least as good as my $6.00 Wality, back it goes! (Assuming it's returnable, of course.)